ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Sermons Help!  (Read 7570 times)

Luther Fairley

Recording Sermons Help!
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:38:17 AM »

Guys, I'm a sound at my church that we just started so theirs little money. What is the cheapest way for us to record sermons via cd & mp3?
Thanks

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Re: Recording Sermons Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:06:28 AM »

Guys, I'm a sound at my church that we just started so theirs little money. What is the cheapest way for us to record sermons via cd & mp3?
Thanks

I've used a field recorder fed with an output from the console; that's probably the cheapest way (unless you have a digital console that records directly to a USB flash drive...) but I prefer having a computer with a USB audio interface so I can easily edit and normalize the audio before export.

You don't need a powerful computer to record 1 or 2 tracks of audio, and there's some very good inexpensive recording software out there (I use Reaper) with nice compression/limiting that vastly improves the listening experience.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:08:08 AM »

I've used a field recorder fed with an output from the console; that's probably the cheapest way (unless you have a digital console that records directly to a USB flash drive...) but I prefer having a computer with a USB audio interface so I can easily edit and normalize the audio before export.

You don't need a powerful computer to record 1 or 2 tracks of audio, and there's some very good inexpensive recording software out there (I use Reaper) with nice compression/limiting that vastly improves the listening experience.

Audacity is free.  What kind of mixer do you have?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luther Fairley

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »

Audacity is free.  What kind of mixer do you have?

Mackie ProFX12

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »

Mackie ProFX12

Second using Audacity.  Simply use the USB output of your PFX12, select that as your audio input on your computer and record in Audacity.  You can then export either .wav files to your CD drive to burn or MP3 (Audacity requires using LAME MP3 encoder...also free) to where you need it.

It may take a bit of time to get the setup correct, but help here is free just like the Audacity and LAME.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Luther Fairley

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 08:13:25 PM »

Second using Audacity.  Simply use the USB output of your PFX12, select that as your audio input on your computer and record in Audacity.  You can then export either .wav files to your CD drive to burn or MP3 (Audacity requires using LAME MP3 encoder...also free) to where you need it.

It may take a bit of time to get the setup correct, but help here is free just like the Audacity and LAME.

Thanks...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »

Do you want to make your recordings available as soon as possible after the service is over?

If so the fastest way may be using an "old fashioned" stand alone CD recorder. Record the sermon, finalize the CD and drop it in a multi disc duplicator.
Depending on where the sermon falls in the order of your church service you could possibly have the CD's ready to be picked up as people are leaving.

I would use an aux out to feed the recorder, that will give you the ability to create a custom mix for the recording if you need to record more than one input source.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:43:22 AM »

Rather than exporting the audio as a single .WAV file to burn to CD, use Ctrl+B to make a label to mark the beginnings of individual tracks. You can either do this every few minutes, or at key points in the sermon.

Then use the "export multiple" to save multiple .WAV files, which can then be burned to the CD as individual tracks. Make sure the CD burning software does NOT add silence between the tracks, so on playback one will flow to the next without a break.

This will give those who get CDs a better listening experience. If they stop the CD player mid-sermon and come back later, it makes it easier to get to where they left off.

(Other recording software should let you do similar stuff.)

If you can get hold of a used Microboards CopyWriter Live!, it's an excellent machine for recording audio CDs in realtime. (It has been discontinued by the manufacturer.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:49:09 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Kaiser

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »

Easytrackercd was designed for recording church services. It has a large button that creates a new track while recording. A laptop with two gigs of ram, a large disc drive, and a USB audio interface should do the job. Also, do not use the laptop for anything else during the recording.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.