ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switcher Pack use on DMX instrument  (Read 2027 times)

Mike Karseboom

Switcher Pack use on DMX instrument
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:48:36 am »

I have an elation DP-415 dimmer/ switcher pack that I was hoping to use in switcher mode as an on/off switch for a Robe FT-400 hazer and possibly other dmx controllable instruments like a Chauvet Swarm FX5.

The Swarm manual says not to connect it to a "dimmer" even if the dimmer is working as a 0 to 100% switch.  The Robe does not say anything.

Once turned on, both instruments would be  used under DMX control.

I was wondering if the caution against doing this has anything to do with actual instrument safety or damage or if it just means that spurious DMX signals could be sent through the DMX chain when one of these instruments is turned on?

If it is just a spurious signal issue, I could probably run those instruments in a stand alone mode and not have them be part of the DMX chain.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Switcher Pack use on DMX instrument
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:17:18 pm »

The Swarm manual says not to connect it to a "dimmer" even if the dimmer is working as a 0 to 100% switch.  The Robe does not say anything.

Once turned on, both instruments would be  used under DMX control.

If these fixtures have DMX control built in then connecting them to a switch box is redundant at the very least, and cycling power on and off during a performance will cause the fixture to run it's startup/warmup sequence which can include random flashing from light fixtures and will result in the fixture not responding to DMX signals during that period.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:48:09 pm »

If you hook up fixtures that specifically warn against hooking up to a switch pack, yet do so anyways, you'll be buying new fixtures. I just burned out 3 color changers that way. The dimmers apparently add harmonics to the power line that overheats the transformers.

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:08:07 pm »

If the fixtures will be under DMX control anyway, there should be a command that will turn the output/lamps/effects off via DMX. Is that an option?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:01:01 am by Kyle Malenfant »

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »

The main reason I wanted to do this is because the fan noise was bothering me.  All my other fixtures are passively cooled and silent.  It is probably not going to be a big deal either way.

In any event, thank you for the good reasons not to do this. 

J. Malsack also pointed out a safer way to do this by having the dimmer switch contol a regular 120V relay switch. 
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.