ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stinky hazer  (Read 8889 times)

Joe Breher

• Front Range, CO, USA
Stinky hazer
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:10:37 AM »

I have a hazer that I would like to use, but I invariably encounter objections from musicians and crowd alike. They complain of the stench. The hazer is a Radiance that I acquired second hand. I am using newly purchased Ultratec branded Luminous 7 Haze fluid.

I thought perhaps it was contaminated by some old off brand fluid, but it does not seem to be getting any better with use.

Is there something I can do to eliminate or abate this issue, or is this endemic to the nature of hazers?

Josh Daws

Re: Stinky hazer
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:10:35 AM »

try cleaning out the heater block...ive use the radiance hazers for a while now and haven't had a problem..the other trick with the radiance it is not like other hazers and you don't really need a lot of it as its hang time is quite lengthy. typically in manual mode my settings are 6-1-7. this ensures a really light haze without it being over powering. even then at 10% haze output i find it a little too much. normally around 4-7% haze output is sufficient...i just find that most people always like to choke people with haze/smoke.

and with the radiance hazer you should only use the luminous7 fluid...

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:40:05 AM »

Some smoke machine/hazers will state cleaning the coil by running a mix of distilled water and vinegar, check the manual and see if there is a manufacurer recomendation.

Most fluid goes stinky when it gets exposed to air, unless you are burning through it keep it in a sealed container that is just big enough, eg if you are not using much just buy quarts or divide a gallon into quart bottles when you get it. And dont leave the machines vented jug full for weeks between uses.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33:09 AM »

Stinky Hazer.

Great name for a punk band.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »

try cleaning out the heater block...ive use the radiance hazers for a while now and haven't had a problem..the other trick with the radiance it is not like other hazers and you don't really need a lot of it as its hang time is quite lengthy. typically in manual mode my settings are 6-1-7. this ensures a really light haze without it being over powering. even then at 10% haze output i find it a little too much. normally around 4-7% haze output is sufficient...i just find that most people always like to choke people with haze/smoke.

and with the radiance hazer you should only use the luminous7 fluid...

Also - the froggys radiance hazer fluid works just fine... You don't have to spend $ for the ultratec fluid.

I agree with other posters.  Clean the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »

Since you aquired the hazer second hand, here is the link to the cleaning procedure: http://www.ultratecfx.com/Libraries/Downloads-Radiance_Hazer/Radiance_Hazer_Service_Manual.sflb.ashx
Cleaning only really takes 15-20min. If anyone ever used oil based fluid by mistake it'll smell something awfull forever until you clean it. I usually do the lines with soapy water as well, then rinse with clean water.

If you are getting too much haze then you can dilute the fluid with distilled water. I use about 5 parts water to 1 part fluid for our venue. Ultratech also sells a lower output pump if you contact them however you'll lose some top end output going that route.

+1 to froggy's neutronic fluid, great stuff.

Josh Daws

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »

Some smoke machine/hazers will state cleaning the coil by running a mix of distilled water and vinegar, check the manual and see if there is a manufacurer recomendation.

Most fluid goes stinky when it gets exposed to air, unless you are burning through it keep it in a sealed container that is just big enough, eg if you are not using much just buy quarts or divide a gallon into quart bottles when you get it. And dont leave the machines vented jug full for weeks between uses.

DO NOT do this on a radiance hazer, you will wreck the heater block.

and i wouldn't really recommend diluting fluid, as the machine is spec'd to use a specific fluid, and to be operated in that manner. chances of damaging is not super likely, but im a sucker for using equipment as spec'd by the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:53:35 PM by Josh Daws »

John Leandro

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:04:34 AM »

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:08:40 PM by John Leandro »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 03:43:47 AM »

Lol....I thought a stinky hazer is any fart on stage
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman