ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Yamaha DSR112s.  (Read 85713 times)

Chris Edwards

Re: My new Yamaha DSR112s.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »

Next was very over-produced Justin Timberlake. Noticeable enhanced mids throughout instruments and vocals. Everything was clear. Winner- DSRs

Hey Hey Hey...what's wrong with Justin Timberlake?   >:(  JK.  My wife dragged me to a recent concert of his.  Not my favorite music but it was a good show.

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »

Glad you like them! I have (4) that I use as monitors. They do indeed have the perfect form for a floor wedge.

I did a side-by-side comparison with my PRX 615's, each mounted over a PRX618xlf. My results were different - I actually liked the 615 better. I wouldn't say it was more clear, but I would say it produced a warmer sound that was more pleasing to my ears (recorded mp3 for the source). But in fairness this is a 15" box, not the 12".

I did use my DSR112's FOH at a gig this past summer. They were clear and sharp, but I felt they were a little edgy in the high mid's, and required some EQing. But it was a room I wasn't familiar with, so who knows.

But as floor monitors they're fantastic - I hear comments from musicians all the time - "you could use these things as mains".

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »

Steve,

I also think they take a little taming in the high mids; however, once they are eq'd to taste, I found they performed very well.

I have heard the PRX615's a few times.  I always felt they weren't as articulate for vocals as 12's usually are.

... but then one man's "articulate" is another mans "edgy" ;)  YMMV.  Certainly nothing wrong with a pair of 615's.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »

Hey Hey Hey...what's wrong with Justin Timberlake?   >:(  JK.  My wife dragged me to a recent concert of his.  Not my favorite music but it was a good show.

Well, the fact I own the CD says it all I suppose ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 10:09:05 PM »

Well, the fact I own the CD says it all I suppose ;)
Debbie,

My wife would dump me for him on one hot minute ;)

Of course, personally, I don't find him attractive at all  :o

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »

Ive been waiting for better weather to set up the XLF's/DSR112's and the SRX system in my garage for a side by side comparison and that time has come. Mixing this evening and tomorrow afternoon but sunday is the day.
Does anyone (Scott) want me to run anything in particular (maybe a certain song) through both systems to compare? I can run CD's, MP3's, bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keys and vocals. I could do drums but the acoustic sound will be too much to really hear whats going on. I'll go as loud as I can without the neighbors getting upset!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dusty Dobbs

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »

Looking forward to this comparison!

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »

Ive been waiting for better weather to set up the XLF's/DSR112's and the SRX system in my garage for a side by side comparison and that time has come. Mixing this evening and tomorrow afternoon but sunday is the day.
Does anyone (Scott) want me to run anything in particular (maybe a certain song) through both systems to compare? I can run CD's, MP3's, bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keys and vocals. I could do drums but the acoustic sound will be too much to really hear whats going on. I'll go as loud as I can without the neighbors getting upset!!!

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »

Chris and I bought a pair for each other for Christmas from Mike Pyle.

I had been intrigued by them for a while, as I have mentioned here and had a quick demo in store a few months back and really wanted to give them a try having read many many reviews on them also.

They arrived 12/19 but we were both laid up with the flu the week before Christmas and so we could only get to play the last few days.

So…..when I opened them up out of the box I ran some music through them to warm them up for about 45 minutes .
We have been A/B'ing them each day trying something new each time and changing to different rooms.

I ran signal in mono so I could pan one speaker to the other. I set the EQ on the desk flat and then used some EQ to enhance each speaker to hear it at its best. Then I set the gains on each speaker to similar output levels (this resulted in the PRX set at 3 o'clock and the DSRs at 9 o'clock). No subs were used in these tests and all songs were on CD - not MP3.

1st song out the gate was The Blues Walk -Lyle Lovett's Large Band.
The snare was the immediate winner through the DSRs. It cracked and sounded 'real'. The highs of the cymbals were clear and cut through and the sax sounded sweet- all leagues above the PRX.

The next song was Everywhere I go -Jackson Browne.
We could actually hear the rasp of the snare springs on this recording through the Yamahas. The vocal depth and richness was superior in every way and ironically even though I wasn't interested too much in bass because I'll be using subs, the bass frequencies were punchier. Winner- DSRs

Next was Jackson Browne - Blue and Black.
Vocal reverb stood out as clean and precise and the guitar was warm but cut through. Winner -DSRs.

Next was very over-produced Justin Timberlake. Noticeable enhanced mids throughout instruments and vocals. Everything was clear. Winner- DSRs

Next was Jonny Lang- Red light. Vocals stood out again - very rich in tone - Winner DSRs

Although I played a few other tracks, some rock songs, others very bluesy, very little else was needed to prove I made the right decision. These speakers are awesome and I had no idea there would be that much difference. Till now I loved my PRXs and still do for their weight, size and overall value - but Holy Poo……these Yamahas are really nice. I could see they will need a little taming in those high mids but since I took them out of the box, they have already smoothed out somewhat and I do not believe they will need much EQing to get them just right. They throw the vocals almost as well as my SRX's do and that is what I was looking for in a powered box. I know that I could do better and I know I could spend more money to do so but I think this was money well spent and I am so looking forward to gigging with these babies…..

The downside to the DSRs - heavier by 13 lbs and a little bigger than the PRXs. Handle placement- only on top so throwing up on poles or tripod can be tricky. A side handle would have been nice.
However, they do feel well made and substantial. An extra bonus is that they are covered in LineX - same as Rhino Lining and the finish looks amazing. The monitor angle is good - no need for foam bricks like the PRXs.

Just wanted to suggest the song The Hunter by Jennifer Warnes. I believe you will be quite impressed with it's power, clarity and dynamic range. Good luck with the Yamaha's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »

For some vocal stuff, maybe try Nora jones.  The suggestions for impact sound good.  Maybe "fancy" for impact?

I trust your judgement ;). I am eager to hear your thoughts on two of my all time favorite tops!  I did an in-store a/b when I purchased my DSR's, but I don't want to contaminate the experiment ( and they only had one 715 )

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.