ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cracked Magnets  (Read 2359 times)

Montez Carter

Cracked Magnets
« on: December 28, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »

I opened up some of my subs this past week that I knew needed reconing ,now that I have some slow time. I knew what drivers they were so I pre ordered the recone kits before I removed the drivers. They were a combination of 18 Sound  18 LW1400's and 2400's. I started stripping the cones and surrounds and went to pull the coils out of the gaps and they were locked into the gap. After further examination I noticed that the magnets were cracked. I looked at the gap when I finally tore the coil out it had shifted which in turn locked the coil in the gap. I have 2 out of 4 that were like this but they were not in the same sub box. The sub boxes are common cavity so when it locked I eventually failed the other driver in each box but the other 2 can be reconed as they do not have magnet damage. My question is what causes this to happen with ceramic magnets or any for that matter?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Cracked Magnets
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:44:35 pm »

I opened up some of my subs this past week that I knew needed reconing ,now that I have some slow time. I knew what drivers they were so I pre ordered the recone kits before I removed the drivers. They were a combination of 18 Sound  18 LW1400's and 2400's. I started stripping the cones and surrounds and went to pull the coils out of the gaps and they were locked into the gap. After further examination I noticed that the magnets were cracked. I looked at the gap when I finally tore the coil out it had shifted which in turn locked the coil in the gap. I have 2 out of 4 that were like this but they were not in the same sub box. The sub boxes are common cavity so when it locked I eventually failed the other driver in each box but the other 2 can be reconed as they do not have magnet damage. My question is what causes this to happen with ceramic magnets or any for that matter?
Cracked magnets are very rare-but it does happen.

B&C had an issue several years ago when they a large batch of bad "magnet slurry".

For no reason (often in an install situation) the magnets would simply crack in half.

There is no fix for that

Shifted magnets can be repaired-but not cracked.

I would call the manufacturer and see what they say about it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:37:17 am »

Sorry to hear that, it is a drag to deal with.  I had two B&C speakers do that earlier this year, likely the batch Ivan is talking about.  B&C had great customer service, by the way, and replaced the faulty speakers quickly.
The bright side of the whole thing was that it made me stock up on a couple of spares and a couple of re-cone kits as well...
Cheers,
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:37:17 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.