ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing Tamper-Proof Bolts  (Read 21993 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Removing Tamper-Proof Bolts
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »

Wait, are the heads still on? Surely not. :o

How tight are they? Can you grab the shoulder with a large pair of channel locks or vise grips? Maybe they are loose enough to turn out.
Jamin has the right idea.
I have used a pipe wrench to dig into and grab the little-bit of shoulder at the base of the cone.  Grinding 2 flat spots on either side helps too if they are being stubborn,  (pound on them good too -tends to loosen their grab to the concrete)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »

Jamin has the right idea.
I have used a pipe wrench to dig into and grab the little-bit of shoulder at the base of the cone.  Grinding 2 flat spots on either side helps too if they are being stubborn,  (pound on them good too -tends to loosen their grab to the concrete)

Guys, reality check...

This is in a Catholic church with lots of marble and a pair of antique life-sized statues very close to the brackets that can't be moved. The walls are 100 year-old plaster and I don't want to start any cracks. And these speaker brackets are 14 ft up off the floor with antique marble alters right beneath them. Oh yes, the floors under the brackets are also marble so I can't bring in a lift since it might crack the floor. Gotta do this from a ladder.

Hey, if it was simple or obvious I wouldn't be asking for suggestions. But if the original installers had put in standard concrete lag bolts this job would already be finished. I think we're going to have a go at this next week with a diamond cutoff blade in a hand grinder and see how it goes.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 04:30:19 AM »

Guys, reality check...

This is in a Catholic church with lots of marble and a pair of antique life-sized statues very close to the brackets

So dynamite is out then?!!

Steve.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »

Guys, reality check...

This is in a Catholic church with lots of marble and a pair of antique life-sized statues very close to the brackets that can't be moved. The walls are 100 year-old plaster and I don't want to start any cracks. And these speaker brackets are 14 ft up off the floor with antique marble alters right beneath them. Oh yes, the floors under the brackets are also marble so I can't bring in a lift since it might crack the floor. Gotta do this from a ladder.

Hey, if it was simple or obvious I wouldn't be asking for suggestions. But if the original installers had put in standard concrete lag bolts this job would already be finished. I think we're going to have a go at this next week with a diamond cutoff blade in a hand grinder and see how it goes.

I still think it would be worth a try with channel locks before you start grinding. If it's a 3/8" Grade 5 bolt it should only have about 25 ft lbs of torque.

Scaffold would be safer than a ladder. You could get another person up there to help. Plus the platform might catch anything you drop.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:44:59 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

So dynamite is out then?!!

Steve.

Obviously.

That is the only right answer here.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »

A quick, curious look at YouTube videos for removing stuck bolts was fun.  A lot of mechanics and welders...

I'm currently in favor of scaffolding for whatever work is done.  I'd personally go with grinding a slot first, then tapping/drilling and the LH threaded remover.  A short, carefully administered burst of vibration from perhaps a hammer drill might help loosen the grip of the threads.

I used to have an impact driver which would deliver a LH twist when struck with a hammer.  It's still on the premises somewhere...but I know not.  This was a great little tool which would deliver the twisting force and administer the pressure required to make a good grab on a drilled hole in the bolt.

Know any marble sculptors???  Might be helpful to get an artisans opinion on working in stone...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »

KISS, do no harm...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »

KISS, do no harm...

JR

Have the priest bless the tools...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »

Have the priest bless the tools...
Amen!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »

And standby in case you fall of the ladder onto the marble floor.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 25 queries.