ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie srm450  (Read 6134 times)

Bob Maddox

Mackie srm450
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, so I may be in the wrong section for advice!  I've been offered a pair of SRM 450's.  How can I tell whether they are v1 or v2?  I've searched through countless images etc with no clear results.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Bob

Josh Voyles

Re: Mackie srm450
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, so I may be in the wrong section for advice!  I've been offered a pair of SRM 450's.  How can I tell whether they are v1 or v2?  I've searched through countless images etc with no clear results.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Bob

All the V1's I've seen have a gray shell. All the V2's I've seen either have a dark blue or black shell. Regardless, the V1 and V2 sound very similar to me so I'd be ok with either. On a side note, the V1 is much heavier. Not sure how the V3s compare.

Josh Hana

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »

Fairly certain V1 and V2 use the same components as well. Replacement parts are the same, at least.

Richard Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »

Hi,

Regards,
Bob

I am guessing you mean original original v1 grey box. The easiest and most sure way is to remove the woofer and look at it. the older ones had RCF woofers, the china run ones are not branded woofers. Also remember those older ones would be getting old. Money would be perhaps better spent on something from this decade. But somehow I doubt a deal done through craigslist would allow the time to disassemble and look inside.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »

The v2s are definitely lighter, so changes were made to the internal structure to reduce weight. I definitely notice that the v2s are less robust then the originals-- I have v1s from ca. 2001 that are still going strong, with never a problem, yet have had v2s purchased w/in the last five years that have had one or two failures already. =\

(For what it's worth, and not to get into the "Made In China" thread in the basement...) There was definitely a quality change from when they went from USA and Italian manufacture, to Chinese manufacture. The back panel will indicate the country of manufacture.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »

We've got some Italian made Mackie speakers at one of the churches I mix at; IMO they sound pretty good and have been bullet proof for them so far. We've got 3 or 4 grey SRM450s for wedges, 2 SA1521s for main tops, and 4 SRS1500 subs. They all work pretty good; the only thing I've had to do on them is tighten the screws on the front of the subs every few months when they start rattling. ;-)

Josh Voyles

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »

The v2s are definitely lighter, so changes were made to the internal structure to reduce weight. I definitely notice that the v2s are less robust then the originals-- I have v1s from ca. 2001 that are still going strong, with never a problem, yet have had v2s purchased w/in the last five years that have had one or two failures already. =\

I too have had 3 V2 failures over the past 8-9 years. We even had one start smoking so be careful.

That being said, they are a pretty decent/flexible speaker for the price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.