ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: kick drum speaker type  (Read 12945 times)

andy miller

Re: kick drum speaker type
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 05:32:11 PM »

ok, so I started trying to troubleshoot the problem with the SP2ti.  i think the problem is with the woofer. i searched it for tears, but there are none. i did notice a grinding sound when I pushed on the cone. this would explain the "fizzle" sound I was getting as the grinding intensifies with the initial thud, then vibrates out with the sound follow through.

wondering what the grind sound means now. that's about as good as I can describe it. when the cone moves it should be smooth and this woofer is not.

I removed the magnet. the grinding is coming from where the metal ring behind the cone fits into the magnet

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »

I removed the magnet. the grinding is coming from where the metal ring behind the cone fits into the magnet
Are you talking about the voice coil?  What do the winding look like?

Photos will help a lot.

What numbers/names are on the speaker?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

andy miller

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »

Are you talking about the voice coil?  What do the winding look like?

Photos will help a lot.

What numbers/names are on the speaker?

only number i can find is on the back of the cone, 76010018.
...and ID2 written in marker on the basket. that led me to this: http://www.muzeekworld.com/11870-McCauley-1D2.115-SB-Subwoofer,-Single-15-22

andy miller

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »

only number i can find is on the back of the cone, 76010018.
...and ID2 written in marker on the basket. that led me to this: http://www.muzeekworld.com/11870-McCauley-1D2.115-SB-Subwoofer,-Single-15-22

FIXED IT!!!!

ok, so i mentioned that the cabs were like 20 years old. a foam guard in the back of the speaker got so old it does what foam coverings on mics do, it disintegrated and little pieces were dirtying up the coil gap and making an odd rub when the speaker moved. i got in there with some scotch tape and a can of air and got it all cleaned up. now it is working as good as new!

thanks to everyone for their patience and help!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »

FIXED IT!!!!

ok, so i mentioned that the cabs were like 20 years old. a foam guard in the back of the speaker got so old it does what foam coverings on mics do, it disintegrated and little pieces were dirtying up the coil gap and making an odd rub when the speaker moved. i got in there with some scotch tape and a can of air and got it all cleaned up. now it is working as good as new!

thanks to everyone for their patience and help!
I'm glad you didn't go ahead and spend a bunch of money-when the problem was very simple.

As with any troubleshooting-FIRST figure out what the REAL problem is, THEN figure out what it is going to take to fix it.

BTW the speaker is most likely a Black Widow.

McCauley also makes speakers with removable baskets, the two are very close to being interchangeable.

Some of the best subs I used (back in the day) were a very custom recone that we joked as "JBMcEavey"

They had Peavey black widow magnets mounted on McCauley frames and had a JBL recone kit in them.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »

Andy...

Equipment aside, I would advise against using a setup such as you describe for one reason:

You'll get used to it.

Then when you get out of your basement/practice space it's not going to sound the same/right to you.  Result?  Happy practice, frustrated performance.

Good luck.

He might find the opposite,  that a quality drum fill monitor provided at the show forever ruins his rehearsal system for him afterwards  :)
(seen it happen at festivals I've run)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.