ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: kick drum speaker type  (Read 12943 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: kick drum speaker type
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »

Have you measured the DC resistance of the woofers?

I think they are infinite ohms now!

Steve.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »

I think they are infinite ohms now!

Steve.
I highly doubt it.

He said they were still making fizzle noises-so that would mean that the coil is still "somewhat" intact-therefore having a somewhat kinda maybe normal resistance.  I figured an actual impedance measurement would be out of the question.

But the cones are probably torn-or the spiders or the surround.

There is no way to tell what the actual problem is without seeing any photos.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »

I just want the kick sound to come out of the speakers without blowing anything up so it makes sense to me to find out what a decent speaker for the job would be.
If you want to possibly waste a lot of money first-then go ahead-it's nto my money.

You don't know what the real problem is (except that is is somewhere inside the speaker cabinet).

What if your car won't start.  So you "assume" the engine is dead.  So you buy a new engine and then find out it was simply the battery that was dead.

Now you STILL have to buy a new battery and have wasted the money on the engine. 

But if that makes you "feel better" then go ahead.

How about posting some photos of the drivers-the crossover (you will probably have to remove it from the jackplate as most of them had the parts where you can't see them without removing it.)

If you want a suggestion for a driver-then get something like the B&C 15 tbx100.

Will it work well with the current crossover and the current cabinet tuning-I have no idea-but they are pretty strong.  And that sounds like what you are "after".

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

andy miller

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »

If you want to possibly waste a lot of money first-then go ahead-it's nto my money.

You don't know what the real problem is (except that is is somewhere inside the speaker cabinet).

What if your car won't start.  So you "assume" the engine is dead.  So you buy a new engine and then find out it was simply the battery that was dead.

Now you STILL have to buy a new battery and have wasted the money on the engine. 

But if that makes you "feel better" then go ahead.

How about posting some photos of the drivers-the crossover (you will probably have to remove it from the jackplate as most of them had the parts where you can't see them without removing it.)

If you want a suggestion for a driver-then get something like the B&C 15 tbx100.

Will it work well with the current crossover and the current cabinet tuning-I have no idea-but they are pretty strong.  And that sounds like what you are "after".

I am hoping to have time to dissect the cabs this weekend. I will post pics at that time.
Believe me, it's not about "wanting" to waste money, or even trying to "feel better", it's about trying to get a little iformation on "ideal" specs, gear (possible replacement parts) that would work with what I already have.
I don't see being proactive and gaining knowledge on proper gear as anything negative.
If I were going to build it from scratch....what would i use?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »

I am hoping to have time to dissect the cabs this weekend. I will post pics at that time.
Believe me, it's not about "wanting" to waste money, or even trying to "feel better", it's about trying to get a little iformation on "ideal" specs, gear (possible replacement parts) that would work with what I already have.
I don't see being proactive and gaining knowledge on proper gear as anything negative.
If I were going to build it from scratch....what would i use?
You ask about "replacement parts-yet you don't know what is wrong or broken.

Makes it kinda hard.

If were were to 'Start from scratch-what exactly does that mean?

Build your own cabinet?  Do you have tools/experience to do so?

Or just to buy something already made?

You mentioned no crossover or DSP or eq.  As a general rule you will be SORELY disappointed if you run a speaker full range that is expected to be able to reproduce the kick drum at a decent loud level.

You will be asking "where is the bass".  It is there-but being masked by the other freq.

it gets a bit deeper REAL quick

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 01:00:03 AM »

Andy said:

"I guess that i just figured that everyone else has their own amped gear so I'm just trying to get my kick sound out there. "

Now you say this is for your house that you like the sound of an amplified kick.

As Ivan mentioned, I can't imagine another musician let alone a sound guy would let you put that gear on the stage to just the kick.  Outside the sound engineers control your microphone would capture other sounds on the stage and amplify them.  This would blend with the mail PA create a sonic disaster.  Also it could drive into feedback and you might not notice quick enough.

What sound are you looking for?  Do you want the visceral "wump" of the low frequencies produced by the drum itself or do you want the click of the beater?  Some type of compression and EQ will more than likely be needed to produce the effect you are looking for.

Since it's just you position the speaker right behind you to minimize free space loss.  EQ will help you tune the sound to what you want.

More than likely you don't need a full range speaker.

As far as diagnosing what's wrong with your drivers I have nothing to add.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 02:34:45 AM »

More than likely you don't need a full range speaker.

With the SP2s in this scenario, they would probably be better if connected to the low input rather than the full range input, taking the 22A driver out of the equation.

Steve,

andy miller

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »

You ask about "replacement parts-yet you don't know what is wrong or broken.

Makes it kinda hard.

If were were to 'Start from scratch-what exactly does that mean?

Build your own cabinet?  Do you have tools/experience to do so?

Or just to buy something already made?

ok, let's take sound guys and live venues completely out of the equation and assume this setup will never leave my basement. I got it......not a good idea with sound guys and stuff......I wouldn't have a need to take anything other than my kit to a place with a house PA anyway, right? ....right.

Steve--I am looking for that 'wump' at home.

I have two SG 2x12 cabs that are not in use(hopefully I attached the image properly). so I won't be building anything. I really just need to know what type of components you guys might suggest.....speakers, etc.
although I have been gigging and playing out for about 20 years, i never really got into much of the sound distribution part of things and I am looking to learn.
things like: what properties make for better sub speakers? is a crossover necessary? if so, recommendations? 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »

Andy...

Equipment aside, I would advise against using a setup such as you describe for one reason:

You'll get used to it.

Then when you get out of your basement/practice space it's not going to sound the same/right to you.  Result?  Happy practice, frustrated performance.

Good luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

andy miller

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »

ok, so I started trying to troubleshoot the problem with the SP2ti.  i think the problem is with the woofer. i searched it for tears, but there are none. i did notice a grinding sound when I pushed on the cone. this would explain the "fizzle" sound I was getting as the grinding intensifies with the initial thud, then vibrates out with the sound follow through.

wondering what the grind sound means now. that's about as good as I can describe it. when the cone moves it should be smooth and this woofer is not.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.