ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x EV ZXA1 vs 2x EV ELX 118p or FBT Promaxx 15SA?  (Read 7523 times)

Richard Penrose

4x EV ZXA1 vs 2x EV ELX 118p or FBT Promaxx 15SA?
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:44:11 AM »

Hi,

I'm considering changing my subs for a lighter alternative following a physio appointment for my back today. Originally I was hoping to get a pair of JBL PRX718XLF subs but following my appointment today I was told I really shouldn't be carrying anything heavier than 30kg max due to problems I've been having with my back and  shoulders!
This has led me to consider a few different alternatives for future gigs. My only options that I can find are the FBT Promaxx 15SA's or four smaller subs like the EV ZXA1's?

Firstly has anyone tried both the EV ELX118p's  AND  the FBT Promaxx 15SA's? Secondly, what are your thoughts on changing to something like 4x the EV ZXA1's from a single pair of ELX118p's? I've considered adding wheels to my ELX118p's but due to living in a pretty rural part of the country I will still need to carry the ELX118p's for some gigs.

Thanks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: 4x EV ZXA1 vs 2x EV ELX 118p or FBT Promaxx 15SA?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »

Hi,

I'm considering changing my subs for a lighter alternative following a physio appointment for my back today. Originally I was hoping to get a pair of JBL PRX718XLF subs but following my appointment today I was told I really shouldn't be carrying anything heavier than 30kg max due to problems I've been having with my back and  shoulders!
This has led me to consider a few different alternatives for future gigs. My only options that I can find are the FBT Promaxx 15SA's or four smaller subs like the EV ZXA1's?

Firstly has anyone tried both the EV ELX118p's  AND  the FBT Promaxx 15SA's? Secondly, what are your thoughts on changing to something like 4x the EV ZXA1's from a single pair of ELX118p's? I've considered adding wheels to my ELX118p's but due to living in a pretty rural part of the country I will still need to carry the ELX118p's for some gigs.

Thanks

Not to distract from your info quest, but more of a materials handling question - is it necessary for you to hand carry or lift your subs most of the time?  I'm pushing 60 y/o and I am a fan of wheels, levers and ramps.  The older I get the better I understand the old Greeks...

If you transport your gear in a passenger car or similar I can understand the limitations presented.  If I were doing small systems on my own I'd want something like the Ford Transit Connect (a 4 wheel version in the USA) or similar small boxy vehicle with a low door sill and a convenient place for a folding "wheelchair" ramp.

Back to the old Greeks... some years ago when I was living in the San Francisco area the newspaper had a human interest story about a piano mover.  What made him unique was he worked by himself most of the time and he was maybe 5ft 6 and weighed 140lbs.  His weapons were a couple of purpose-built ramps (and a couple of commercial truck ramps for his truck),  a variety of wooden dowels of various diameters and lengths and a few straps.  When the reporter asked him how it accomplished the moves he said something to the effect of "I use ancient tools and let gravity help me."  Perhaps there is a partial solution to your needs in there, somewhere.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »

Not to distract from your info quest, but more of a materials handling question - is it necessary for you to hand carry or lift your subs most of the time?  I'm pushing 60 y/o and I am a fan of wheels, levers and ramps.  The older I get the better I understand the old Greeks...

If you transport your gear in a passenger car or similar I can understand the limitations presented.  If I were doing small systems on my own I'd want something like the Ford Transit Connect (a 4 wheel version in the USA) or similar small boxy vehicle with a low door sill and a convenient place for a folding "wheelchair" ramp.

Back to the old Greeks... some years ago when I was living in the San Francisco area the newspaper had a human interest story about a piano mover.  What made him unique was he worked by himself most of the time and he was maybe 5ft 6 and weighed 140lbs.  His weapons were a couple of purpose-built ramps (and a couple of commercial truck ramps for his truck),  a variety of wooden dowels of various diameters and lengths and a few straps.  When the reporter asked him how it accomplished the moves he said something to the effect of "I use ancient tools and let gravity help me."  Perhaps there is a partial solution to your needs in there, somewhere.
Exactly.  I see people trying to move gear all the time and it is just fighting them.

Once you learn how to move the gear around-in most (not all) cases it is much easier.

Like putting subs in a van or pickup truck.  Don't lift them, put one corner on and slide them in.  MUCH easier.

Don't try to fight gravity-you will lose.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »

What are peoples thoughts on the options I mentioned in my original post?

Robert Healey

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »

What are peoples thoughts on the options I mentioned in my original post?

People are telling you to rethink lifting your subs because none of the options you have mentioned are equivalent to 2x PRX 718XLF.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

People are telling you to rethink lifting your subs because none of the options you have mentioned are equivalent to 2x PRX 718XLF.

Yes that's what I'm trying to found out. Would say 4x EV ZXA1's or FBT Promaxx 15SA be comparable to the JBL PRX718 XLF's?

I will try and do an a/b of the FBT PRomaxx 15SA's and my EV ELX118p's at some point along with the FBT CLA 208SA's (with the view of maybe getting 4 eventually). Even if I can find something that at least matches my EV's at a lower weight I'd be very happy. If not I might as well stick with what I've already got. If I want more sub power then I may eventually just get another pair of ELX118p's and double them up.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »

Yes that's what I'm trying to found out. Would say 4x EV ZXA1's or FBT Promaxx 15SA be comparable to the JBL PRX718 XLF's?

EV ZXA1 subs are -3dB at 53hz. I'm not sure that even qualifies as a sub. You could throw eight of them up there and probably not equal the low end output of two PRX718XLFs.

I've head them - but only in a showroom. IMO all they're qualified for is adding a bit of kick to quieter duos and trios. As a DJ they are totally unacceptable.

I'm assuming you're not from the US since everything around here is ramped for wheelchair access. Lifting is so last century :D If you are from the EU I don't know what your solutions are other than to hire a kid to help you move for gigs that require lifting.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »

Four EV's (ZXA1's) that you mentioned would be quite easy to carry and set up as well as provide you with sufficient sub output. The charm of these boxes is the output vs. the light weight. Depending upon your venue you could one, two or all four.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »

Thanks guys. Yes I'm quickly realizing I'm not really going to better what I already have unless I go heavier or much more expensive!
If I want more output at the same weight I've been told the RCF 905AS would be a good option for double the price of ELX118p's. The JBL PRX718xlf's are a bigger heavier option but by all accounts a very good £1000 sub.

Ideally I'd love to have a Nexo PS10/LS600 rig but this along with the NXAMP4x1 amplifier/controller would set me back around £9000 which is unfortunately unrealistic.

I am still intending to check out the FBT Promaxx 15SA as these are possibly around 3-4kg lighter than my EV's. I also spoke to a dealer about these and he thinks the FBT's actually go deeper than the EV's and put out around 40% more volume!? If this is true then they could be a good solution. Failing that, I'll stick with my EV's.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:23:15 AM by richard penrose »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 25 queries.