ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Guest engineer  (Read 13379 times)

Matthew Graves (Jr)

Guest engineer
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »

I am starting a tour with a client next year and would like the S.O.P or the right way to handle an installed house system.
I have always been under the impression that if I am to bring in my FOH that all inputs are ran into my FOH and I give the house engineer a stereo feed from my L&R's, therefore utilizing the house eq that the engineer has set, the compressor and any other processing the house engineer has in place before amps and stacks. It's a respect thing and also the house engineer should know the room better then say the guest engineer and why would you want to change the house guys settings? That doesn't seem right to me.
Is there a standard to this or maybe a Full Sail protocol on this topic?
I hope I am being specific enough.
Thanks in advance \m/ \m/

Ted Christensen

Re: Guest engineer
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »

I am starting a tour with a client next year and would like the S.O.P or the right way to handle an installed house system.
I have always been under the impression that if I am to bring in my FOH that all inputs are ran into my FOH and I give the house engineer a stereo feed from my L&R's, therefore utilizing the house eq that the engineer has set, the compressor and any other processing the house engineer has in place before amps and stacks. It's a respect thing and also the house engineer should know the room better then say the guest engineer and why would you want to change the house guys settings? That doesn't seem right to me.
Is there a standard to this or maybe a Full Sail protocol on this topic?
I hope I am being specific enough.
Thanks in advance \m/ \m/

If you are the guy one tour here is what i can tell you from working with BE's myself. Don't be a dick, have your stuff together. advance your info to the house guy when possible. There really is no "s.o.p" unless you wanna include what i just said.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Matthew Graves (Jr)

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »

If you are the guy one tour here is what i can tell you from working with BE's myself. Don't be a dick, have your stuff together. advance your info to the house guy when possible. There really is no "s.o.p" unless you wanna include what i just said.

Never a dick!, ever!! I do know it's polite to zero out the console once you're done with it but does that go for eq's too?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »

Never a dick!, ever!! I do know it's polite to zero out the console once you're done with it but does that go for eq's too?

In general if you change it, put it back.  If I'm really wanting to change the house's EQ I'll ask that it be bypassed (just push the button) and I'll use my own.

I operate house systems as "the house guy" at our local PAC.  In our halls we'd expect you to bring your own snake if you're bringing a console (we have sound booths) although for a limited number of inputs we could probably provide enough snaking.

As the Band Guy, I want to hand the House Person left, right, subs (if separate) and front fill/under balcony/etc in whatever manner they need it.  Many times the fills are processed from an internal split of L/R, same with subs; sometimes you can get into all the subsystems with individual inputs.  What I do depends on how the house rig sounds and how much time we have to make it play nicer if I don't like it at first audition.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »

I'll ignore the "Full Sail" thing... saying that they are setting any standards is pretty much a joke. 

But... as Tim has said assume L/R/S/FF.  Also, assume that they will have processing in place that makes the room "flat" and is properly time aligned.  Your best bet is to have a processor of your own in your rack to deal with any issues in the space.  That will also give you some additional outputs if needed if their rig is broken up weird.  In your default settings in your console use matrices to feed each zone then send your outputs to those matrices... that will help you considerably if you hit a house with a weird system or a center cluster. 

Also, be aware that if you are playing a smaller club that is not used to road desks be prepared to hit issues.  You might have to supply house music, an announce mic, or house PSA's.  Be sure to spell this out in the advance.  Also, be sure that your rider mentions how big of an FOH footprint you need. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Matthew Graves (Jr)

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »

In general if you change it, put it back.  If I'm really wanting to change the house's EQ I'll ask that it be bypassed (just push the button) and I'll use my own.

I operate house systems as "the house guy" at our local PAC.  In our halls we'd expect you to bring your own snake if you're bringing a console (we have sound booths) although for a limited number of inputs we could probably provide enough snaking.

As the Band Guy, I want to hand the House Person left, right, subs (if separate) and front fill/under balcony/etc in whatever manner they need it.  Many times the fills are processed from an internal split of L/R, same with subs; sometimes you can get into all the subsystems with individual inputs.  What I do depends on how the house rig sounds and how much time we have to make it play nicer if I don't like it at first audition.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me some insight and what to do's, very much appreciate everyone here.
Always having clean/sober fun, it's when it starts to feel like a 9-5 job is when I'll consider a different job, but after 15 yrs of operating and 4 years of owning and operating all gigs still feel like the first gig.
Love this "job". ☺️

Matthew Graves (Jr)

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

I'll ignore the "Full Sail" thing... saying that they are setting any standards is pretty much a joke. 

But... as Tim has said assume L/R/S/FF.  Also, assume that they will have processing in place that makes the room "flat" and is properly time aligned.  Your best bet is to have a processor of your own in your rack to deal with any issues in the space.  That will also give you some additional outputs if needed if their rig is broken up weird.  In your default settings in your console use matrices to feed each zone then send your outputs to those matrices... that will help you considerably if you hit a house with a weird system or a center cluster. 

Also, be aware that if you are playing a smaller club that is not used to road desks be prepared to hit issues.  You might have to supply house music, an announce mic, or house PSA's.  Be sure to spell this out in the advance.  Also, be sure that your rider mentions how big of an FOH footprint you need.
I think I need to explain the " Full Sail" statement.
I was advancing a show and had asked the house guy about sending him L/R/subs and I'll just use his house eq's, no sense in changing someone's eq's since they know best the room. His response included the Full Sail standard operations blah blah blah statement,  I almost laughed out loud but gave him the benefit of the doubt because let's face it, I know I don't know everything, I've only guest engineered corporate rigs and never actually been corporate employed so I wanted to get to the straight truth about the "Full Sail" statement. I didn't think the industries standards were based off of that but I just had to ask.
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond, greatly appreciate it.
\m/ \m/
Jr

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 02:45:48 AM »

Any dude who quotes full sail SOP during a venue advance is pretty weird. Really weird.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »

I think I need to explain the " Full Sail" statement.
I was advancing a show and had asked the house guy about sending him L/R/subs and I'll just use his house eq's, no sense in changing someone's eq's since they know best the room. His response included the Full Sail standard operations blah blah blah statement,  I almost laughed out loud but gave him the benefit of the doubt because let's face it, I know I don't know everything, I've only guest engineered corporate rigs and never actually been corporate employed so I wanted to get to the straight truth about the "Full Sail" statement. I didn't think the industries standards were based off of that but I just had to ask.
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond, greatly appreciate it.
\m/ \m/
Jr

I am an hour and a half from Full Sail and I have met very few folks even from their program that would say something like that. I have also met very few of their grads that are willing to push boxes and load a truck but want a job in the industry. I'm sure there are plenty of great folks coming out of there, I'm just not meeting them....

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »

I am an hour and a half from Full Sail and I have met very few folks even from their program that would say something like that. I have also met very few of their grads that are willing to push boxes and load a truck but want a job in the industry. I'm sure there are plenty of great folks coming out of there, I'm just not meeting them....
I have only met 2 "empty sheets" grads who were worth anything.

And each of those guys would have been great without spending any time down in FLA.

It is what you make of it-and if you are not willing to work and just want "the glory", then this business is not for you.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.