ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Guest engineer  (Read 13397 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Guest engineer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »

Can someone explain to me what 'full sail' means?

Steve.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »

I am an hour and a half from Full Sail and I have met very few folks even from their program that would say something like that. I have also met very few of their grads that are willing to push boxes and load a truck but want a job in the industry. I'm sure there are plenty of great folks coming out of there, I'm just not meeting them....

I have met exactly one person ever from full sail that I thought was not a waste of oxygen.  Hard worker, lighting person, ready to learn, and try new ways of doing things. 

If there are other good people who go to full sail, the must be "too good" to work in any of the venues are here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »

Can someone explain to me what 'full sail' means?

Steve.

www.fullsail.edu

Super expensive recording and production school in Orlando that pumps out a lot of kids who know how to play with Avid toys but otherwise tend to be projects to take on as employees.

I know several and only one or 2 are employable in the industry.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »

www.fullsail.edu

Super expensive recording and production school in Orlando that pumps out a lot of kids who know how to play with Avid toys but otherwise tend to be projects to take on as employees.

I know several and only one or 2 are employable in the industry.

What is amazing is how inept our higher education system is at churning out engineers that can be productive.  This conversation could be about IT guys.  They come out of school and I have no idea what they did for four + years.   

This yields a really funny story, I was hired by a local tech school to teach electronics troubleshooting.  The syllabus was OK but not real practical.  Certainly not in a production environment (such as paging what I was doing at the time or broadcast) where every second was dollars and lives.  Anyway the exercise was to use this huge variac to troubleshoot something (an amp or PS) and just apply enough voltage to start taking measurements.

So I let the kids dig around and do their thing, it was fun.  Then I said, in the real world you aren't going to have a lab or  a variac in your tool bag.  Plugged the defective gear in and let the cap explode and told them "replace that cap and regulator" or whatever it was that was blown apart. 

i was fired the next day.

I did get to tell the department head that I would not hire him to put jumper cables together.  I was good at winning friends and influencing people back then.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 04:21:25 AM »

What is amazing is how inept our higher education system is at churning out engineers that can be productive.  This conversation could be about IT guys.

Over here it is the same with electronic engineers.  On a couple of occasions we have employed engineers with degrees.  One of them once asked me which way round an LED is connected.  I told him to go and find out for himself.  It turned out that his degree was in something called systems engineering which you could pass by just drawing block diagrams of things whilst not learning anything useful to anyone.

I manage to continue to be employed as an electronic and mechanical engineer without a degree.

Plugged the defective gear in and let the cap explode and told them "replace that cap and regulator" or whatever it was that was blown apart. 

i was fired the next day.

I did get to tell the department head that I would not hire him to put jumper cables together.  I was good at winning friends and influencing people back then.

We think the same way!

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:24:08 AM by Steve M Smith »

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »

I learned more in my first 2 days working at my local PAC than I did in 2 years of "Applied Theater Technology" in college. I also almost died several times in those 2 days as I was utterly unprepared for all the boxes going every direction, line sets flying in and out, and the general controlled chaos that comes with a PAC load in.

I think that most of the college courses I took could have been condensed to about 10% of the book stuff and then much more experience based learning. My 2 cents

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »

I, and several other alumnus of my higher education institution, often lament that there was not a course in general management.  How to manage people, how to learn how you fit into the organization you work in, etc.  That said when I was in school my roomates and I all worked over hire for the local, then when I was a senior I was invited to join.  I'm still a card carrying IA member.  I owe them a lot.  I learned as much or more working for them in college as I did in school. 

There is a larger conversation to be had in this country about the value of higher education vs on the job training.  Then again, when I hire I look for a degree....

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »

Then again, when I hire I look for a degree....

Why?  Honestly, I am curious and wonder how many in management have actually considered why they want to see a degree?

I found it frustrating to be denied an opportunity for a position that my experience had me more qualified for than recent engineering grads.  One HR manager was interested when a position became available-when she moved on her replacement refused to consider anyone without a degree.
Steve Swaffer

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »

Why?  Honestly, I am curious and wonder how many in management have actually considered why they want to see a degree?

I found it frustrating to be denied an opportunity for a position that my experience had me more qualified for than recent engineering grads.  One HR manager was interested when a position became available-when she moved on her replacement refused to consider anyone without a degree.

It's really a complete package thing for me.  My department head positions require a 4 year degree or equivalent experience.  A degree means that you have figured out how to apply yourself to a project (a degree) and see it to completion, you have the technology and writing skills to form ideas and communicate them to others. You have the capacity (depending on the type of degree) to learn complex conceptual theory.  My lighting heads need a working knowledge of dmx and networking.  And I don't just mean what plugs in where.  We are going to talk about stop bits and transmission speed on dmx.  I want them to understand the difference between a servo and a stepper motor and when either might be used in a moving head.  They don't need component level repair experience, but it's a plus.  On the sound side, networking again.  We have Dante and cobranet networks and several of our facilities.  One facility uses both networks for different portions of the facility. 

We have a government application process.  I can ask supplemental questions, but in general online application processes have made it way too easy for unqualified bottom feeders to submit an app.  I don't have time to read 200 applications for a position.  A degree is one way to filter those results.  Then i may only see 50 applications, then I have to rank them, rejections at this point require written justifications, and select people to interview. I have a box where I ask someone without a four year degree to describe how their experience is equivalent.  I am considering asking a technical question on my next round of hires, some sort of multiple choice that if someone gets wrong, I don't see their application.

Now - that said, I have employees without degrees who are GREAT, but they had to have damn good applications to break through.

Seriously though, 70% of the apps I get are from people who have no relevant experience and are just applying to show they are looking for work on their unemployment.  I feel sorry for people without jobs, but I hate them clogging up my application process.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

A degree means that you have figured out how to apply yourself to a project (a degree) and see it to completion, you have the technology and writing skills to form ideas and communicate them to others. You have the capacity (depending on the type of degree) to learn complex conceptual theory.

It really doesn't.

Some might have these qualities - but equally, you can find them in those without too.

A degree is one way to filter those results.  Then i may only see 50 applications

Having filtered out the likes of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson and Edwin Land!

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:11:18 PM by Steve M Smith »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.