ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7  (Read 21246 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »

With the caveat that "every voice is different," I find that the e835 blows away the 58.  In an A/B test, the detail and clarity of the 835 makes the 58 sound like you're singing through moving blankets.  As far as other uses, I find that anything you'd otherwise use a 57 or 58 on can be a good source for an 835 - snare, tom, guitar cab....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you double check that your Display Name is your Real, Full Name, per the Rules of Participation for the ProSound Forums? (The lack of spaces is making it hard to see...)

Thanks! :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chris Tondreau

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »

Sorry... fixed.  I'm using the Tapatalk app and the forum, I guess, just inherited my profile from there. 

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »

There's even a $10 rebate on all SM microphones through January 11, 2015. Taking an SM58 down to $89, now you're saving $7 to go with the unproven, non-recommended mic.

As noted in the thread, it wouldn't apply as the OP is in the UK, but for others playing along you can claim the $10 rebate (up to $60 per purchaser) using this form:
http://www.shure.com/files/SMrebate_Form_2014.pdf

Combining that rebate with discounts that may be available from your dealer will make the price of a few mics a lot lower.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »

Sorry... fixed.  I'm using the Tapatalk app and the forum, I guess, just inherited my profile from there. 

No worries! The moderators jump on those pretty quick, so I just wanted to save you that hassle. :)

-r

but for others playing along you can claim the $10 rebate (up to $60 per purchaser) using this form:
http://www.shure.com/files/SMrebate_Form_2014.pdf

Note that this rebate is offered only for the various flavors of SM58s, SM57s, and the Drum Kit (3xSM57 and one Beta52; $30.00 there; the 3-SM57s actually count towards your six mic limit, so you can do one drum kit and 3 more SM57s/58s).
Kelcema Audio

James A. Griffin

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »

I think the SM58 is the winner but we are a community venue and have spent a lot recently on PA/lights.  Think I am going ot have to go for the NX7 as it is a lot cheaper but will angle for SM58s in future.

58 and 835 are both pro quality mics that will serve you well in the long run.  There are tonal and pattern differences that come down to a matter of your personal taste,  but no one will laugh at you for carrying either of them in your inventory.   I don't know what "a lot" for PA/lights means in your world, but the cost of these would be a small fraction of that.   Do it right the first time and make your community proud of their venue...
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

David Parker

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »

I replaced my sm58 mics with E835. I got tired of replacing the mic balls on the 58s. In several years of use I never got a dent in the E835 grills. The two mics are very much alike in the way they sound and the pickup pattern. Both are cardiod, not too tight so they pick up an inexperienced singer who doesn't stay on the mic, but tight enough they do well with feedback.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »

Per the OP's response of December 22nd, it appears he has made up his mind (and possibly even before creating this thread, but that's a different matter) -- and is going to get some NX7s. Of course, we all expect to see him back in a year or so when people are tired of listening to those lower end mics, but at the same time, their average guest just might not notice or care.

I get the feeling that we can continue to share the nuances between the SM58 and the e835, but the OP isn't reading the thread anymore, having made up his mind (maybe more then once...).

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »

Per the OP's response of December 22nd, it appears he has made up his mind (and possibly even before creating this thread, but that's a different matter) -- and is going to get some NX7s. Of course, we all expect to see him back in a year or so when people are tired of listening to those lower end mics, but at the same time, their average guest just might not notice or care.
And, in fact, the NX7s will probably be just fine.  I've not used them, but been very impressed at the price and performance of JTS wireless kit, which I've used over the last 10 years.

You're right, in the level of venue to be used, these mics won't be the weak point, and rider friendliness is unlikely ever to rear its head.  And, in fact, I'd wager that they're unlikely to be worse than 58/835, just unfamiliar when people come in...

Lyle Williams

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »

Less likely to be stolen too...

George Dougherty

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »

I replaced my sm58 mics with E835. I got tired of replacing the mic balls on the 58s. In several years of use I never got a dent in the E835 grills. The two mics are very much alike in the way they sound and the pickup pattern. Both are cardiod, not too tight so they pick up an inexperienced singer who doesn't stay on the mic, but tight enough they do well with feedback.
835 is a bit more even in proximity effect as you move closer or back off the mic. Tone stayed consistent and pleasant where the 58 got thin as you move away and lose all the extra bass.  Otherwise on my voice I couldn't tell a big difference in tone between the two at "proper" distance.

It was enough to make me satisfied I had no SM58's in my kit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.