ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7  (Read 17343 times)

Ben Edwards

Re: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I think the SM58 is the winner but we are a community venue and have spent a lot recently on PA/lights.  Think I am going ot have to go for the NX7 as it is a lot cheaper but will angle for SM58s in future.

Ben

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 11:38:28 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I think the SM58 is the winner but we are a community venue and have spent a lot recently on PA/lights.  Think I am going ot have to go for the NX7 as it is a lot cheaper but will angle for SM58s in future.

Ben

It's not a good use of community money to purchase cheap knock of products with questionable build quality that violate intellectually property laws and other common sense stuff.

When they have add feedback problems and sound like reindeer poop don't say we didn't tell you so.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 06:51:14 am »

When they have add feedback problems and sound like reindeer poop don't say we didn't tell you so.

I think the OP had his mind made up before he posted as not one person on this thread even mentioned that this mic was a viable option.  If I was reading this post and had not tried either mic, I would also choose the 58 based on the responses. "Yes, gentlemen, I agree the $100 mic is the best option but I'm going to go ahead and buy the $82 one instead, in spite of the fact that not one of you recommend I do so".

If money was truly the issue, and the plan is to upgrade to 58s later ( which makes no sense as it costs more in the long term), the Sennheiser can be had for the same or less money as the NX7 and it is supported by at least 50% of the posters. 

It's one thing to try out an unproven mic with your own money, but playing fast and loose with other people's money is irresponsible IMO.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 08:58:45 am »

I think the OP had his mind made up before he posted as not one person on this thread even mentioned that this mic was a viable option.  If I was reading this post and had not tried either mic, I would also choose the 58 based on the responses. "Yes, gentlemen, I agree the $100 mic is the best option but I'm going to go ahead and buy the $82 one instead, in spite of the fact that not one of you recommend I do so".

If money was truly the issue, and the plan is to upgrade to 58s later ( which makes no sense as it costs more in the long term), the Sennheiser can be had for the same or less money as the NX7 and it is supported by at least 50% of the posters. 

It's one thing to try out an unproven mic with your own money, but playing fast and loose with other people's money is irresponsible IMO.

Yeah I was shocked....You could buy one, and if an experienced ear and engineer do some measurement, take it apart and check out the build quality but that's won't tell you in the long run.  If you could gig it with a bar band for a month.

You are right, the Sennheiser's come in a 3 pack and I think for a little less.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 10:52:56 am »

Ben

So Ben, you've heard from a lot of really smart people, and the message is pretty clear. As Scott O. alluded to, it does appear that your mind was made up before you even started this thread, which makes me wonder why...

But more importantly, you say that you have "spent a lot recently on PA/lights," and so now you're going to go with a cheap knock off of questionable quality-- so the question I have for you is why were microphones of appropriate quality (and associated cost) not included in your "community venue's" budget from the start? I mean, LINE ITEM: Microphone, Shure, SM58, Qty 4, $99 each. Microphone, Shure, SM57, Qty 2, $99 each. That's not hard. And it makes sure that the money is there because it's been considered in the initial planning stages.

Now, with these cheap knock off mics, you need to budget for their replacement in 2 years when you get tired of hearing them. =\

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John L Nobile

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 04:06:27 pm »

Is it just me or does the freq response look like, as someone mentioned about a speaker, an ice pick?

http://www.jtspro.net/downloads/JTS_NX_guide.pdf

I've never heard of this mic so I had to look it up. My work firewall blocked the first link I found but I was able to find one that got through

Paul Miller

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »

There's even a $10 rebate on all SM microphones through January 11, 2015. Taking an SM58 down to $89, now you're saving $7 to go with the unproven, non-recommended mic.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 10:15:20 pm »

Since the OP quoted prices in British pounds, US dollar pricing and rebate offers are likely of little use to him.  Prices (and values) in the US don't necessarily apply in other countries. Just ask an Aussie (as one example).  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Chris Tondreau

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 12:19:41 am »

With the caveat that "every voice is different," I find that the e835 blows away the 58.  In an A/B test, the detail and clarity of the 835 makes the 58 sound like you're singing through moving blankets.  As far as other uses, I find that anything you'd otherwise use a 57 or 58 on can be a good source for an 835 - snare, tom, guitar cab....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 07:07:27 am »

Remember, in the UK all our prices are deliciously 50% or so higher than you have in the US, and the rebates that are common for you aren't.

For the low-rent operator, an SM58 is surprisingly expensive in the UK - USD 135 (and that's cheaper than they used to be).

Nothing wrong with JTS mics - they're one of the brands that make half decent "generic" kit that's not uncommon over here.

That said, when the "substantial investment in PA" at this venue appears to include a Peavey XR 696F, we're hardly pitching in LAB quality kit.

My recommendation was to go rather further down the food chain still for mics...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 07:07:27 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.