ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7  (Read 21245 times)

Ben Edwards

Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:12 AM »

Hi, I am looking for a couple of microphones for a community venue.  They will be used for vocals and spoken word/comedy.  We need to keep the amount we spend down but think we could manage around £75 (each).  The other thing we need to consider is many of the people using them (both the performers and the sound techs) will not be very experienced.  Our set-up is a Peavey XR 696F PA with a monitor (The Box MA100).  The stage is 4 by 2 meters.

I know there are lots of options but I have narrowed it down to three and would like peoples opinion.  No one ever got fired to choosing Sure SM58 but it is the most expensive or the bunch and I gather tends to get a bit scurfy fairly easily.  Lots of people really like the Sennheiser e835 saying it often sound more realistic but doe not suit all voices.  It also sound lie it stays looking good longer than the Sure.

The real outsider is the JTS NX7.  I came across a sound engineer who has used all sorts of microphones but someone he worked for got some NX7s and he thinks they are a great alternative to the Sure but I cant find out much about them.  They are also a bit cheaper.

Ben

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »

Have a look at the Samson Q7 as well.  Quite a bit cheaper, but if they are going to be used by a variety of inexperienced people, that is an advantage as they can be repalced cheaply.

I have not used one myself but I have read good reviews.

They are cheap enough that you could buy one to try out: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/samson-q7-supercardioid-dynamic-microphone/481702-01/?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=CP2BkofRz8ICFbMatAodCVUAbw

If it doesn't work out, you have not lost out by much and still have it as a spare.

Steve.

Ben Edwards

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »

Have a look at the Samson Q7 as well.  Quite a bit cheaper, but if they are going to be used by a variety of inexperienced people, that is an advantage as they can be repalced cheaply.

I have not used one myself but I have read good reviews.

They are cheap enough that you could buy one to try out: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/samson-q7-supercardioid-dynamic-microphone/481702-01/?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=CP2BkofRz8ICFbMatAodCVUAbw

If it doesn't work out, you have not lost out by much and still have it as a spare.

Steve.

Like your thinking, am also seriously considering a cope of RAD5 RVD30 as there is a £25 inc. VAT delivered deal on at the moment.  I am finding it hard to find anyone who has much bad to say about it except the off axis pickup may not be as good as SM58 etc.  Looking at the field diagram it does have a little more back pickup which is going to make useing monitors a bit more difficult.

Ben

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »

I've never heard of JTS, but the NX7 looks like a clone/counterfeit Beta57a.

SM58s are an industry standard mic, and have been around since 1966 and haven't changed.

e835 are popular because of their 3pack, think of it as "buy 2, get the 3rd for less than 50%".

If it's a Mic vs Mic battle, I would take the SM58 over an e835 because everyone knows what an SM58 is and knows how to work with one.  However, if I am Purchasing Multiples and I need a lot of vocal mics, then I would choose the e835.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Sammy Barr

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »

the 58 is rugged, and has an easily replaceable windscreen. I have some that have been in service over 20 years. I have used some of the cheaper mics and handling noise and inconsistent patterns make them harder to use especially with inexperienced users. Buy once, cry once.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »

I find the e835 has considerable more gbf than the 58 and they're more consistent. I have solved  feedback issues on stage simply by yanking a 58 and putting an e835 in it's place.

In spite of the Shure being the industry standard, I find no two sound alike. All my 58s have been replaced by the e835 and sent to the band practice room as of last year after 30+ years of swearing by them. I don't even take them with me to gigs any more.

All that being said; I do find the Sennheiser will distort quicker if your gain is too high.

For the same money, I would take an Audix OM2 over the SM58.  If you need to save $, I do not think you would regret getting the Sennheiser.

In the end you'll get the best results simply by making sure all the mics are the same.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »

The venerable SM58 is probaly your best bet at this point in time. They last forever, everyone knows what they are and what they are capable of doing, and the sound is far better than entry level. In the future should your needs expand the 58 is a mic that can always be used for something, or by someone. The E835 claims to be an equal to the 58 but I have a very hard time agreeing with that statement. Not only is the 835 a cheaply made mic, but side and rear rejection isn't as good as the 58, IMO.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »

...Not only is the 835 a cheaply made mic...

Care to elaborate, Bob?

I have always found the 835's to be rugged and I prefer their sound over the SM58.  I'm interested in what aspect you think they are cheaply made.

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »

The venerable SM58 is probaly your best bet at this point in time. They last forever, everyone knows what they are and what they are capable of doing, and the sound is far better than entry level. In the future should your needs expand the 58 is a mic that can always be used for something, or by someone. The E835 claims to be an equal to the 58 but I have a very hard time agreeing with that statement. Not only is the 835 a cheaply made mic, but side and rear rejection isn't as good as the 58, IMO.
Strongly disagree.  The 835 seems to have a slightly tighter pickup pattern (which gets you cleaner monitors and less stage wash) and there's nothing wrong with the build quality.  You can make a very noticeable improvement by changing a stage full of 58's to 835's.  I've heard it.

Ben Edwards

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »

Interesting this has become a battle between the 835 and SM58, not that surprising I guess. 

Did a lot of dinging in other placed and it seems the NX-7 is very good copy of the Beta57 and I found them for under £55.  Sure even tried legally to stop them.

Think we will give them a go, we have spent quite a lot recently and the 835/SM58 would be a bit of a stretch.

Thanks, everyone,
Ben

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.