ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless purchase for the future  (Read 3542 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Wireless purchase for the future
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

Hi All,

I am looking for some input on a couple new wireless system for production use. I am looking to purchase another 20ch (10 dual channel units) of Shure UR4D+. Most of our current stock is in the H4 (518.000-578.000) band and from reading around this appears to be the safest for the future of wireless.

If you are going to make a sizable purchase of wireless in the near future frequency range would you buy?

These systems will be used in LA if that helps.

Thanks
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Wireless purchase for the future
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

If you are going to make a sizable purchase of wireless in the near future frequency range would you buy?
I would wait until after the next FCC auction, which is supposed to be Summer 2015, last I heard.

To be completely honest, I don't think there is anyone that can guarantee that you if you buy anything in the UHF spectrum today that it will be either legal or usable in another 12 months. We don't yet know what the RF landscape will look like after the next reverse incentive auctions in 2015. And the likely hood that different markets will be vastly different and possibly incompatible with one set of wireless mics is very good. If you HAVE to purchase something, I would recommend a digital system with the very widest tuning bandwidth possible, which usually means expensive.

I'm sure Henry or Peter can give more authoritative answers. But if you can wait until the end of next year to spec or purchase anything, I would certainly do so.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »

I would wait until after the next FCC auction, which is supposed to be Summer 2015, last I heard.

I'm sure Henry or Peter can give more authoritative answers. But if you can wait until the end of next year to spec or purchase anything, I would certainly do so.

The auction has been postponed until at least early 2016 at this point due to pending lawsuits.  I have not heard any updates since that announcement was made.  I am sure that Henry and/or Pete, as mentioned, can shed some additional light on the subject.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »

I am looking for some input on a couple new wireless system for production use. I am looking to purchase another 20ch (10 dual channel units) of Shure UR4D+. Most of our current stock is in the H4 (518.000-578.000) band and from reading around this appears to be the safest for the future of wireless.

How many of each band do you already have? I would try to spread out the whole inventory over all the useful bands, not just concentrate on H4. You will run into a limit of how many units you can use in a single band way before you do over several bands. You will have to do real coordination at that point because you will go outside of the manufacturer groups, thereby rendering them invalid.

Mac

jason misterka

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks

I'm looking at having to replace our UHFR stock as well once we loose the 600 band. I'm waiting on that, who knows if that is the right decision.

However, we recently purchased four QLXD to try them out and have to say they are very nice for the money and for nonspecific riders they will be our goto wireless.  I know the ULXD has more perks but QLXD is a good balance. Having more channels is going to be great for the dates when we are in DC or NYC metro... 

So, that may not be helpful information but we are going that direction until the frequency auctions resolve and we can comfortably buy a set of UHFR or whatever is the rider friendly unit then.

Jason

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:34:53 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks

I jut want to mention how relatively easy it is to rent on short notice from companies with huge stocks of RF gear like VER, CP Communications, Professional Wireless Systems, and ATK.  It does reduce your margins due to rental and shipping costs, but it eliminates the risk of investing in the gear at such an uncertain time while the spectrum is being rearranged and auctioned off.  Renting from RF specialty houses usually includes the benefit of excellent and knowledgable support.  For example, when you rent from PWS, you can get an experienced RF tech on the phone and they will help you select the best frequency bands for your event's location, and may even properly intermod coordinate more than a few channels for you.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »

Thanks for the info guys, I will get a list of current stock and post it up.

As far as renting, this is what we have been doing up to this point, but we are at the point of renting them almost permanently and the units will pay for themselves well before the next year is over, not counting the time and energy we are spending on all the rentals.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »

Throw in the zip code for your area in LA because the OTA TV and other digital broadcasts around there may have limiting factors on your channels available. 

Do you also stay in about a 50 mile area ??

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

... but we are at the point of renting them almost permanently and the units will pay for themselves well before the next year is over, not counting the time and energy we are spending on all the rentals.

And how does the saying go? If you find yourself renting all the time, eventually you find that you have paid for the gear, yet you own nothing.  >:(

With that in mind, well hell, get whatever you want, cos worse case scenario, you buy wrong, and have to sell it all after the band(s) become illegal, and you can find someone overseas pretty easily. Even if you sold it for 20% of what you spend on it, sounds like you'd still come out ahead.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Dan Currie

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »

FWIW I was in LA and Pomona a month or so back. 556-608 (Sen G band) was completely filled by dtv's.  Ended up renting 10 A bands.

Maybe getting a few Shure G1 into your inventory wouldn't be a bad idea.  Channels 14,15,16,20 are reserved for PS.  You could get another usable 18mhz with Channels 17, 19, 21.  Maybe CH 22 if your indoors. 

Hi All,

Thanks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.