ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audinate, please devise an offline/manual activation method for DVS  (Read 5557 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage

I have a license for Dante Virtual Sound Card.

I want to authorize it on my recording computer, has no firewall or antivirus software installed and which does not get connected to the internet.

I sent a support request to Audinate, their reply was that I had to connect my computer to the internet to authorize the DVS software.

Every other company has come up with an offline or manual activation method, either copying an activation file to a flash drive and connecting it to a computer with internet access or manually copying an activation code from another computer to the one being activated, or (dare I say it)...using the iLok system  :-\  .

This is my laptop which I use for recording with Protools. Right now it is running like a well oiled machine, and I don't any want cruft from the internet to work it's way into my system.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Audinate, please devise an offline/manual activation method for DVS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »

A single instance of opening a browser and connecting to a trusted url is going to trash a well oiled machine?  What kind of machine is this that lives on such a razors edge?  Seriously though, what really would put your machine at risk of performance degradation from a net connection?  I lead a sheltered life with my Macs and am always curious as to what terrors the dark side of the net-iverse has to hold.

... and I don't any want cruft from the internet to work it's way into my system.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »

A single instance of opening a browser and connecting to a trusted url is going to trash a well oiled machine?  What kind of machine is this that lives on such a razors edge?  Seriously though, what really would put your machine at risk of performance degradation from a net connection?  I lead a sheltered life with my Macs and am always curious as to what terrors the dark side of the net-iverse has to hold.

In the past, automatic windows updates would get blamed for a lot of issues. I sure haven't seen that lately though.  I recommend all my customer keep their machines online and up to date.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »

The last time I rebuilt my regular usage laptop, between the time that I finished the Windows install, and downloaded and installed the current Trend Micro antivirus software suit, that the first time it scanned my computer it came up with four different malware infections.

All I know is that after I rebuilt my machine and have kept it off of the internet and not allowed automatic updates it is running better than I have ever had a Protools system ever run, Windows or Mac. And I'd like to be able to install and use my Dante Virtual Sound Card on this machine. Antivirus software is notorious for causing stability issues in addition to being a resource hog. I'm comfortable downloading software and transferring it via USB hard drive or flash drive and going through the extra hassle of manually authorizing the various pieces of software that I use for my recording laptop. I just need that ability to do so with Dante Virtual Soundcard.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »

If your that concerned about security I would be wary of usb flash drives as well. Just google usb virus.
John Saunders

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »

It's fairly common to have a 'no internet' policy for studio computers.

You build studio computers exactly the way you want it and you (almost) never change the SW. Pretty much guarantees that the system will work when a client walks in and boots up.  Any software update is followed with extensive testing.

Apple and Microsoft are notorious for introducing seemingly innocuous patches that screw up 'something', like third party firewire drivers,... and all of a sudden you have no audio, or intermittent clicks.

If Audinate wants to play in the pro studio market they must deliver an offline solution, its really inexcusable.
Mark McFarlane

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »

If your that concerned about security I would be wary of usb flash drives as well. Just google usb virus.

I only use my personal flash drives and hard drives, which get scanned every time I connect them to the internet to download something.

I'm truly not that worried about bringing something in on a flash drive. But I'm not about to connect a system that only has Win 7 SP1 with no further updates and no anti virus or firewall protection to the internet just to authorize once piece of software that should have a manual authorization method available.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »

I agree that it should have a manual option. Would also be an issue if you were on a project in the field and didn't have internet.

The only reason I brought up the Usb issue is cause I have been hearing a lot about the problem to the point that at my old work they wouldn't let us use usb flash drives. And we used only Mac machines. Maybe my boss was making more out of it than was necessary?
John Saunders

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

And we used only Mac machines. Maybe my boss was making more out of it than was necessary?

My building is currently all Macs, except for a few PCs in the box office to connect to the ticketing system and a couple in our administrative offices to connect to the rest of the City payroll and purchasing systems. In the last year, we have had two Macs replaced because of malware infections. Not sure what the source of the infection was.

The other side of this is that, because we have to connect to the internet via a proxy server, often times the usual online activation methods do not work. Waves and Native Instruments did not work because of the proxy server issues (but they both have manual or offline activation methods).

Either way, I don't like putting my production computers online.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:44:03 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »

Either way, I don't like putting my production computers online.

I'm with you! My Q-Lab machine will never see the likes of the inter web again. Learned that lesson the hard way...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.