ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Light-o-Rama Dimmers for Professional Use  (Read 7974 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Light-o-Rama Dimmers for Professional Use
« on: December 13, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »

Hi all,
So quick question here and the title pretty much says it all - does anyone have experience using the Light-o-Rama commercial dimmers in professional applications?  I'm looking specifically at the LOR1600 unit.  Understanding the current limitations and what's needed for it to accept DMX, this seems to be an affordable solution for an outdoor dimmer without having to spend over $1k for only 6 channels.  I guess I'm asking - what am I missing?  If they're so economical why aren't these more visible in the pro lighting industry?  Any input would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
-Jeff 

Cailen Waddell

Re: Light-o-Rama Dimmers for Professional Use
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »

I suppose when I can buy a cheap 4 channel dinner pack for under $100, and it is essentially disposable - why bother?    Doug fleenor sells a ultra compact 1 RU 24 channel dimmer for about $1200.  20a total capacity....   I suppose it's all a it the right tool for the job and if you think it fits the. Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »

Thanks for the reply Cailen.  I completely agree that it comes down to the right tool for the job, and while I do own a number of $100 4 channel dimmer packs, what draws me to these is that they're approved for outdoor use - something you can't do with any $100 dimmer I'm aware of.  I just know the Light-o-Rama products are really targeted at Christmas Light displays, so I'm curious if they can hold up to professional use with stage lights.

-Jeff

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »

I use a fair number of the LOR dimmers in my Christmas light show.

The protocall is their own-but they do make a interface that will accept DMX and convert it for use with their packs.

I have one-but have never used it-so cannot comment on how it works or doesn't.

If you are using for pro applications-then I suggest getting the units with 2 15A plugs coming out.

I have 9 of their packs (8 pro units -metal cases and 1 home unit-plastic case)

I have been using them for about 7 years and have have no issues with them.

I am running 586 channels on the system (450 channels are LEDS driven directly) and it works just fine.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:33:22 PM »

I use a fair number of the LOR dimmers in my Christmas light show.

The protocall is their own-but they do make a interface that will accept DMX and convert it for use with their packs.

I have one-but have never used it-so cannot comment on how it works or doesn't.

If you are using for pro applications-then I suggest getting the units with 2 15A plugs coming out.

I have 9 of their packs (8 pro units -metal cases and 1 home unit-plastic case)

I have been using them for about 7 years and have have no issues with them.

I am running 586 channels on the system (450 channels are LEDS driven directly) and it works just fine.

We just did a 12 string CCR with our system and noticed we had to spilt into multiple networks otherwise it bogged down. Are you running multiple networks?
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »

I installed a few of them in a museum running small track lights in an interactive diorama.  For the application they were just fine.  They are not as electrically robust as a pro dimmer.  As I recall they also do not have as much filtering so may produce more electrical noise.

Having said all that I would use them again for the right gig.  Just be very conservative with how heavy you load them.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »

We just did a 12 string CCR with our system and noticed we had to spilt into multiple networks otherwise it bogged down. Are you running multiple networks?
I am just running a single network-BUT only have 3 CCRs plus the regular dimpaks.

I think I am right on the edge of a single network.

I run it all off of the MP3 player-no separate computer.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 07:45:04 AM »

The only thing I would point out is that while they are approved for outdoor use, those Nema 5-15 receptacles are not weather tight.  I always worry about this leading the less educated consumer to think it means they are safe.  They are not unsafe, but judicious use of drip loops in cable and other appropriate measures to inhibit water intrusion are also required, and even then, no one should touch and work on a wet system without appropriate PPE...   Anyway, good luck with your project. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »

Thanks for all the input!

They are not as electrically robust as a pro dimmer.  As I recall they also do not have as much filtering so may produce more electrical noise.

So when you say a pro dimmer, are these below par when compared to the $100 dimmer packs or do you mean the really pro dimmers?  Honestly, the only reason I'm interested in these is because of their weather resistance.  Good point Cailen about how these aren't totally waterproof.  I wouldn't expect them to be and these won't be installed outdoors - I'm just looking to add a few more dimmers to my rig and would like something that I can use on my outdoor shows without having to worry too much.  Exploring LOR's website, they do sell the enclosures as a stand alone product...  How advisable would it be to fit one of my 4ch dimmers into one of these (just mounting it inside, not ripping it apart and installing it)?  My concern would be ventilation, but beyond that, might that be a way to use a better dimmer outdoors?

-Jeff

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »

Jeff - let me ask this question - if the dimmer needs a weather proof enclosure, what does the fixture need to be safe?   I've used small dinner packs outside plenty.  Just keep them from getting rained on and they are fine enough. I wouldn't put a professional dimmer pack in a non ventilated enclosure.  A small roof over stuff generally goes a long way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.