ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying subs advice  (Read 3195 times)

Michael Lamp.

Flying subs advice
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:21:35 am »

I am installing a pa and need to fly the subs. i have (2) 21" beyma subs in seperate earthquake style cabs. ground stack is out of the question. Should i put one on each side with the tops or stack them one on top of the other in the center, like 5 feet back from the tops and delay the tops...?

Michael Lamp.

Re: Flying subs advice
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:59:34 am »

I am installing a pa and need to fly the subs. i have (2) 21" beyma subs in seperate earthquake style cabs. ground stack is out of the question. Should i put one on each side with the tops or stack them one on top of the other in the center, like 5 feet back from the tops and delay the tops...?
This is a permanent install in a club. It has 20' ceilings. The tops are flown at 15' with a 10 degree angle.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:39:54 am »

Do these have rated flypoints?  If not-I hope you are putting them in a cage to fly.

The best position depends on a lot of factors that you have not mentioned.

How far apart are the cabinets-what is the mounting height-what is the size of the space where is the stage in relation to the speakers-what is the design goal of the system (most energy in front of the stage or more even through out the venue) and so forth.

Without more information it is hard to say what is best.

While putting them in the center will produce less nulls outside-there is no way to delay the tops to the subs-at least in more than one listening position.  So you have to determine what position is most important and be wi8lling to deal with it being wrong everywhere else.
How wrong?  It depends on the answers to the above questions.

Without more details the answer is a definite  "Yes-no- maybe".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Michael Lamp.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:05:20 pm »

Do these have rated flypoints?  If not-I hope you are putting them in a cage to fly.

The best position depends on a lot of factors that you have not mentioned.

How far apart are the cabinets-what is the mounting height-what is the size of the space where is the stage in relation to the speakers-what is the design goal of the system (most energy in front of the stage or more even through out the venue) and so forth.

Without more information it is hard to say what is best.

While putting them in the center will produce less nulls outside-there is no way to delay the tops to the subs-at least in more than one listening position.  So you have to determine what position is most important and be wi8lling to deal with it being wrong everywhere else.
How wrong?  It depends on the answers to the above questions.

Without more details the answer is a definite  "Yes-no- maybe".

I am looking for an even sound throughout the room. the room is 125 feet long, 35 feet wide and 20 feet high. the stage runs across one end of the room and is only ten ft. deep with a serving bar across the front(not my idea). the tops are flown 15ft from the back of the room, 15ft high and 10ft away from each side wall. the tops each have 2 tens and 2 1" horns, all Faital drivers. all drivers powered with Face Audio amps. Also I have the option of using two dual 18" front loaded cabs..

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 08:27:55 pm »

I am looking for an even sound throughout the room. the room is 125 feet long, 35 feet wide and 20 feet high. the stage runs across one end of the room and is only ten ft. deep with a serving bar across the front(not my idea). the tops are flown 15ft from the back of the room, 15ft high and 10ft away from each side wall. the tops each have 2 tens and 2 1" horns, all Faital drivers. all drivers powered with Face Audio amps. Also I have the option of using two dual 18" front loaded cabs..
With a room that deep and only that high of a ceiling, there is no way you are going to get even coverage front to back.

It will be quieter in the rear.

Due to the layout you have described, I would suggest a center cluster of subs and you will probably not have to delay the mains.

The reason being you are talking horn subs (which have a delay in them) and combined with the low pass filter (more delay) and the fact that the mains are only 8' or so on either side of the center subs-delay is something you probably will not have to worry about.

But measurement of phase would be the best way to tell.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Michael Lamp.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:48 pm »

With a room that deep and only that high of a ceiling, there is no way you are going to get even coverage front to back.

It will be quieter in the rear.

Due to the layout you have described, I would suggest a center cluster of subs and you will probably not have to delay the mains.

The reason being you are talking horn subs (which have a delay in them) and combined with the low pass filter (more delay) and the fact that the mains are only 8' or so on either side of the center subs-delay is something you probably will not have to worry about.

But measurement of phase would be the best way to tell.

ok. thanks Ivan

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 06:39:09 pm »

I note you mentioned the drivers in the tops but not the model/maker of the cabinet?
Usually people just say they have, for example, JBL SRX722 or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Richard Turner

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:19:31 pm »

"earthquake style cabs"

would suggest home brew

You are definetly going to want to consult with an engineer to have proper safe and well designed fly system for this

a google search for Adaptive Technologies Group would point you in one good direction. The prices would shock you but you are paying for far more than a few pieces of bent tin.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:19:31 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.