ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line  (Read 186346 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line
« Reply #470 on: March 21, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »

I gotta admit, I was rather shocked when I saw it.
Kind of blew my image of Hartley.
JR, How much of an influence on Hartley, and Peavey was Melina ?

Chris.
I actually reported to Melia for several years, so I have strong opinions (that even though she is dead, RIP I will keep private).

Melia came up from within so she knew the company well, she was also very smart and as President ran the entire operation. Hartley was the good cop and idea guy, she was the bad cop and tough as nails operations person.

Since I worked there for 15 years, and quit over disagreements with the man whose name is on the buildings, I did not find anything about the Undercover Boss surprising other than the fact that they actually agreed to do it. That show is a bad joke, a modern day version of "queen for a day". The big give-aways are scripted part of the deal agreed to in advance, the buy in for the ASSumed good publicity result. Such selective rewards are pretty much guaranteed to tick off all the other workers who don't get rewarded. Asking long time Peavey workers who have seen their benefits cut, and so many fellow co-workers laid off, how they feel about the company and their future is never going to turn out well, and it didn't.  :-[ 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »

I actually reported to Melia for several years, so I have strong opinions (that even though she is dead, RIP I will keep private).

Melia came up from within so she knew the company well, she was also very smart and as President ran the entire operation. Hartley was the good cop and idea guy, she was the bad cop and tough as nails operations person.

Since I worked there for 15 years, and quit over disagreements with the man whose name is on the buildings, I did not find anything about the Undercover Boss surprising other than the fact that they actually agreed to do it. That show is a bad joke, a modern day version of "queen for a day". The big give-aways are scripted part of the deal agreed to in advance, the buy in for the ASSumed good publicity result. Such selective rewards are pretty much guaranteed to tick off all the other workers who don't get rewarded. Asking long time Peavey workers who have seen their benefits cut, and so many fellow co-workers laid off, how they feel about the company and their future is never going to turn out well, and it didn't.  :-[ 

JR
JR, I respect your view on Melia completely.
I was not a fan of that show, but a few companies caught my attention. ADT and Peavey in particular. I still have some Peavey gear, and my first job out of high school was electronics tech and armed response for ADT.
For Peavey, that show was NOT good publicity. It portrayed Hartley as more of a buffoon than a pioneer and leader in industry, which I feel he was, before the "race to the bottom" started. If Melia were still around, do you think things would have turned out better, or was that race lost at the start ? (no, i am not asking you to polish off the old crystal ball)

Chris. 
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #472 on: March 21, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »

JR, I respect your view on Melia completely.
I was not a fan of that show, but a few companies caught my attention. ADT and Peavey in particular. I still have some Peavey gear, and my first job out of high school was electronics tech and armed response for ADT.
For Peavey, that show was NOT good publicity.
They were either completely ignorant of that show, or delusional about how the remaining Peavey workers view the company. I suspect a little of both...  Even Cortland's girlfriend didn't want him to do it, probably for different reasons, but that's why he pretended to live out at the Peavey Museum guest house for that filming (she threw him out of their apartment). Sorry probably TMI 
It portrayed Hartley as more of a buffoon than a pioneer and leader in industry, which I feel he was, before the "race to the bottom" started.
Hartley was always about delivering music products that didn't suck for a fair price. Over the years I've seen him walk back several things he said he would "never ever" do. Hartley has probably disengaged from the day to day running of the business. I know several design engineers still working there and Hartley surely still participates in hands-on product feature set design decisions.
If Melia were still around, do you think things would have turned out better, or was that race lost at the start ? (no, i am not asking you to polish off the old crystal ball)

Chris.
Define better? Hartley is probably doing about as good as he could do with not being the cheapest, or best, anything. The middle can be an ugly place, kind of like a "cute" blind date.

I was working at Peavey when we were in the planning stage to build our own factory in mainland China (that money instead was used to purchase Crest). I had meetings with a chinese OEM about building a value Chinese power amp that didn't suck, well before QSC did theirs. My amp project got dragged back to be built in the US, at a much higher price, with so-so results. We had an IMO serious president for a while (brought in from the outside after Melia died.). Me and several others inside had visions of taking Peavey up to the next level. I wanted to leverage the clear technology advantage held by Media-matrix as an icon to reposition Peavey upscale, not unlike how Sony repositioned themselves away from their cheap transistor radio past, to a high tech "Trinitron" TV future. Needless to say my vision didn't get fulfilled. :'( In fact many things I/we did back then have been unwound. The modern logo I had on many of my products has been dumped for the old lightning bolt logo that Hartley drew on his HS notebook cover.

I am too close to it to be completely objective, but no I don't think losing Melia was a significant problem (other than for her RIP). As I've been told recently manufacturing stuff isn't the hard part.  8)     

JR

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #473 on: March 22, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »

I am too close to it to be completely objective, but no I don't think losing Melia was a significant problem (other than for her RIP). As I've been told recently manufacturing stuff isn't the hard part.  8)     

JR
Thanks for sharing JR. Insightful, as always.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #474 on: March 22, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »

Appreciate the candor John
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #475 on: March 23, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »

Appreciate the candor John
I didn't tell you the good stuff... I've got stories... ;D ;D

JR

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #476 on: March 23, 2016, 01:22:29 AM »

I didn't tell you the good stuff... I've got stories... ;D ;D

JR

As much as we might enjoy hearing of others' foibles, telling those stories is unlikely to serve any good purpose.

Know that they, as we, all have faults, but let us hold each other in highest regard and mutual respect.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2016, 03:05:20 AM »

As much as we might enjoy hearing of others' foibles, telling those stories is unlikely to serve any good purpose.

Know that they, as we, all have faults, but let us hold each other in highest regard and mutual respect.

Gossip is evil.  It's a fine line.  To a certain extent this is historical.  Nobody can dispute Peavey's role in defining the prosumer market.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #478 on: March 23, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »

Gossip is evil.  It's a fine line.  To a certain extent this is historical.  Nobody can dispute Peavey's role in defining the prosumer market.

It's not gossip if it's demonstrable truth.  That said there is often little productivity in recalling the past with a jaundiced eye - history cannot be changed and any future between most of the parties is unlikely.

I know that my view of Hartley, Inc is based only on my outside observations and the limited contact I had with persons employed there (whose information may have been no better than my own).  John's comment about the executive trade-off of China plant or Crest is one example of battling crystal balls - in the Analog Crystal Ball the purchase of Crest looked good; in the Digital Crystal Ball owning a plant in China looked better.  Ultimately the ACB was playing a re-run while the DCB was receiving a new program, and the Guy Who Decides liked the re-run better.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #479 on: March 23, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »

We must consider why we share stories of others: is it to build up or tear down? A negative story CAN be turned positive, if the subjects of the story or the conversants use it as a learning experience. It will never be a positive when shared as dirty gossip.

As for the Undercover Boss episode, Peavey brought that upon themselves knowing that however it turned out --good or bad -- it would be in the public eye. That story has been well-hashed here previously; I see little benefit to re-enter that discussion.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #479 on: March 23, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.