ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line  (Read 186329 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »

While I am not happy with the price for onsey twosey ($7+), I am leaning towards this for packaging my outlet tester.

I should be able to include the LED indicators inside the transparent area, and connect the touch probe to one of the assembly screws. I might want to put LEDs on both sides of the PCB so orientation of the plug is not a problem.

I ordered a couple of these to see what they look like. If I build some based on this I hope to get them for a lower price.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »

Here is first pass layout. I should get samples of my clear plugs in a few days. Then I will start tweaking physical layout I may need to increase spacing between line and Neutral/ground.

JR

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2015, 03:58:25 PM »

Got my clear plugs in and working area visible from the outside is smaller than I expected but still usable.

I have rearranged the components so the LEDs are up near the plug end so they can be seen from outside. LEDs doubled up with top and bottom LEDs in series, so plug in orientation doesn't affect visibility.

Not elegant but looking to connect the two metal cable clamp screws to the touch probe.

JR

PS I want one of these....but i don't want to hand build a bunch of these... tiny SMD parts close together.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2015, 10:17:25 PM »

Well I ordered prototype circuit boards (I think). Found a silly cheap vendor from China with a price that is embarrassingly low($14), but in a classic case of you don't get what you don't pay for, the customer service is questionable.

My original order was kicked because my gerber files had different file extensions than they like,,, My version of layout software is probably 20 years old... :-) So far I don't know (yet) that my updated file package has been received and acceptable.

They were so cheap if I don't hear for a few more days I may order from somebody else.

I still need to order some (SMD) parts so no hurry...

Progress and forward motion.

JR

PS I looked at slick ways to execute the touch contact (using conductive rubber) but decided to KISS... so I'll have a right angle pin header sticking out of the line cord hole. I guess you could attach a connector to the header for a remote touch control.  8)

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #304 on: July 27, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »

I finally got a confirmation that my PCB order has been accepted, batched up, and sent to China for processing.  ;D

I just ordered $60 worth of parts to stuff 10 prototypes. It really sucks buying electronic parts in small quantity... >:( In real production quantities this could be pretty reasonable....  ignoring the painful labor of a senior citizen trying to see SMD parts.  :o

JR

[update] 
Parts arrived today...
PCBs shipped from hong kong yesterday 7/29 (airmail 1-8+ weeks).  I don't expect airmail to take 8 weeks so hopefully next week sometime. 
[/update]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:04:54 PM by John Roberts {JR} »

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »

Parts arrived today...
PCBs shipped from hong kong yesterday 7/29 (airmail 1-8+ weeks).  I don't expect airmail to take 8 weeks so hopefully next week sometime. 
I've been ordering lots of parts from China lately, and even though they quote 4 to 6 week shipping, I've been getting many orders in 10 days or less. And that's with the "free" slow shipping. Pretty crazy.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »

I've been ordering lots of parts from China lately, and even though they quote 4 to 6 week shipping, I've been getting many orders in 10 days or less. And that's with the "free" slow shipping. Pretty crazy.
For example, I needed some 6x20mm fuses for my FOG Matrix, and ordered a 10 pack from China for 99 cents INCLUDING shipping. Not 99 cents each, mind you. The entire order cost 99 cents for 10 fuses including shipping and just came in the mail today. I ordered these on July 14th, so it took exactly 16 days for them to arrive. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #307 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »

Yup I've found "slow-boat" (surface) shipping from China to be weeks, not months. These boards are supposed to ship air mail, so I expect them next week, no matter how many months they state as worst case.

JR

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #308 on: August 11, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »

Still waiting for my PCBs coming slow-plane air mail...
======
Today a friend (Gene Pink)  sent me a picture of an outlet tester he built back in the '80s

Using multiple neon lamps and multiple touch contacts.. Lamps that light on the green side were good, lamps on the red side lighting were bad,,,

JR

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »

Well my slo-plane airmail arrived from China today... looks like it took 3 weeks or so.

I am busy today doing real work, but will populate a board or two when I can.

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.