ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line  (Read 186198 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2015, 04:44:34 PM »

Is JR's tester rated at CAT IV 1000v?  :)

Do you need a cat to test it on?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »

I heard that bubble wrap has a pretty high dielectric strength.
Bubble wrap PLUS shipping tape. Kids, don't try this at home... ;)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2015, 05:00:27 PM »

I heard that bubble wrap has a pretty high dielectric strength.

If that's in a pink bubble wrap bag, that's anti-static so slightly conductive...Probably not a good idea to leave it in one of those bags while powered up. I wrapped the board with clear label tape so should not be very dangerous, but you know, be careful. I don't remember what I shipped it in, but I only have anti-static bags laying around.

Looking at the pictures the red LED has a little leakage current, so it is only really on for the RPBG connection. I can probably tweak resistor values some to fix that... those LEDs are a few decades old so efficiency is not like modern stuff..

@ Mike  re: sensitivity... I think there are 10k Rs in series with the LEDs so the red Ground LED may start to glow with tens of volts. The leakage now is from the pull-up R that keeps the human capacitor from discharging.

The test is not smart enough to detect bootleg ground, vs. normal ground, just ground present or open circuit.

For the RPBG, it indicates green that ground is present, yellow that neutral is hot, and red that ground is hot...

JR

PS: I'm really glad it still works, that proto was torn down and rebuilt multiple times.

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »

Yes, be careful-it would be a rather sad chapter to this odyssey for the chief instructor of No Shock Zone to become the introductory illustration for whoever inherits No Shock Zone. 
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »

Yes, be careful-it would be a rather sad chapter to this odyssey for the chief instructor of No Shock Zone to become the introductory illustration for whoever inherits No Shock Zone.

Not to worry. I've been thoroughly trained in electrical safety by OSHA back in my youth, and very careful around this stuff. I'm still a little bit scared around live circuits, and that's a good thing.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2015, 12:29:21 PM »

Two (three?) brilliant pieces. It's been enlightening following along (just reading).
I know it has been alluded to, but is this proper outlet tester someone like Fluke or GB would purchase the rights to?  Of course, if you show it to them without a patent, you may as well give it away.  And patents, while probably not as expensive as UL listing, are probably are not cheap.

To me it seems like coding, but with electricity - with real penalties for mistakes.

Anyway, the modded stinger-GFCI is on my short list to build a few.
The smart power strip is probably beyond my skills - but damn, I'd like to have one or two.
When you start building that proper outlet tester, (notice I did not say manufacture) or sell the rights to some SMART company, put me on the list for one or so.

Thanks for sharing your work (and that of your night team). 
(one day, you have to rewire that house. Seriously.)

frank
ps. A voltmeter, too?  Single plug solution.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:17:32 PM by frank kayser »

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2015, 01:20:14 PM »

Two (three?) brilliant pieces. It's been enlightening following along (just reading).
I know it has been alluded to, but is this proper outlet tester someone like Fluke or GB would purchase the rights to? 
That is my desire... I actually get angry about the outlet testers sold now that indicate RPBG wired outlets as safe.  :o
Of course, if you show it to them without a patent, you may as well give it away.  And patents, while probably not as expensive as UL listing, probably are not cheap.
I have 9 patents under my belt so yes we are talking a couple $10k, it will still need UL approval on top of that. UL is similar price range but probably a little less expensive than patent.

In my judgement this could be patented... I do not see anybody else doing this so apparently it is not that obvious.  8) My understanding of the US IP law is that I would need to file within a year of publication, so that clock is running.

I worry a little that making this completely free for all to use, might discourage a serious manufacturer from investing in developing their version of this. I am not looking for more work or some big payday so I will work with anybody serious about making this. If a major wants to pay for the patent application, we can do that too. If instead they decide to just copy me, I only insist that they make it correctly.. 

To me it seems like coding, but with electricity - with real penalties for mistakes.

Anyway, the modded stinger-GFCI is on my short list to build a few.
Yes, I asked UL about the stinger cap GFCI on a contact form on their website a few weeks ago, but apparently they don't read or answer those.
The smart power strip is probably beyond my skills - but damn, I'd like to have one or two.
I already lost interest in the smart power strip...Too expensive and not working at all unless everything is perfect is too much to expect... The stinger GFCI will work even in the worst of cases, and still protect the civilians.

When you start building that proper outlet tester, (notice I did not say manufacture) or sell the rights to some SMART company, put me on the list for one or so.

Still thinking about what to build it into... but I'll probably build a few tens of these (minimum prototype PCB order).
Thanks for sharing your work (and that of your night team). 
(one day, you have to rewire that house. Seriously.)

frank
Nah, I do want to add a ground wire connection to the outlet in my laundry room (a few feet from the panel) but I have faith in GFCI to protect me from serious faults elsewhere.  In fact I still haven't put a GFCI outlet in the laundry room yet.

JR

frank kayser

« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »

Maybe something like a Kickstarter campaign to fund patent and UL approval?
Heck, if relatively unknown folks can get money for making CDs, surely this could get support. (that's my eternal optimist speaking)
frank

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »

Maybe something like a Kickstarter campaign to fund patent and UL approval?
Heck, if relatively unknown folks can get money for making CDs, surely this could get support. (that's my eternal optimist speaking)
frank

I could afford*** to patent and file UL if I really wanted to but I am not looking for another full time business. If I did a kickstarter campaign that would mean hundreds of new bosses....no thanx.

JR

*** Just because I could doesn't mean I should... I may need to keep buying my own beer for several years.

frank kayser

« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »

I could afford*** to patent and file UL if I really wanted to but I am not looking for another full time business. If I did a kickstarter campaign that would mean hundreds of new bosses....no thanx.

JR

*** Just because I could doesn't mean I should... I may need to keep buying my own beer for several years.
FWIW, I haven't seen kickstarter folks have input to the artistry of a CD they contribute to, but those are not "products".
I do understand the full-time business. 
Patent protection is minimal.  Even with a patent, it wouldn't take much of a design change to have it ruled as "different art".

And remember, BOSS spelt backwards is Double "S" "OH" "BE". 
Never mind.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 55   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.