ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line  (Read 186442 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »

JR, if there is room, might you put your device inside a 16693 Leviton, 15 Amps, 120 Volts, NEMA 5-15P, GFCI Plug, Grounded - BLACK?  Bob, would that work for you on a vintage amp? (Sorry for not inserting a link; I haven't figured out how to do that from my old iPhone.  I was looking at the ATI Electrical website.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »

Yup probably...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »

I already sent my only working proto to Mike to run through it's paces on his torture bench.

JR

Bring me a brain, Igor...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »

Would the one from Abby Normal work?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2015, 02:24:50 AM »

Would the one from Abby Normal work?

Couple of shots of a long band Abby Normal and the Detroit Lean:

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »

Thanx Bob-

The rectifiers in my prototype are typical 1n4004 400V 1A. They don't need to be 1A but 400V reverse breakdown is useful.

The proto is kind of ugly, built up on a generic .100" centers standard pads board. The spacing was a little tight for the MOSFET which is actually .050" centers for pin spacing but they put the drain on the tab too and made it the center pin so i could bend up the center pin and solder the gate and source on 0.100" pads and grab the drain from the tab on the other side of the part. These modern SMD parts are crazy small and hard to breadboard with. 

I already sent my only working proto to Mike to run through it's paces on his torture bench. I hope it still works after the USPS gets finished with it. I built up and tore down 3 different versions, before hitting on that final design. And that one took two tries to get it working adequately, so lots of questionable tack solder connections, by an old man with bad eyesight.  ;D ;D

I am thinking about laying out a SMD board for this that could be really tiny... Absolutely none of the parts need to be very large, or dissipate much power. I suspect the form factor will be dominated by what I decide to build this into.

This could be built into any product with a 3 wire line cord. I could build it into an empty plug housing.

Any suggestions?

I am not enthusiastic about tooling up a slick package, but could see selling assembled working PCBs in small quantity that others can built into whatever.  A mounting screw head could double as the touch contact. Color code is pretty simple green=good, red=bad.

JR

I don't have a packaging suggestion but want to say that I am sure a lot of folks who do work at older buildings would love one of these.

I counted and I found 50 people I know up here in the northeast that would want one. I know I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »

The need is not liimited to older buildings.  I was finishing up a project last month-the GC decided to wire in the microwave receptacle to "help" me out.  Wired one receptacle-and wired it reverse polarity.  Just the kind of help I need!
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #267 on: June 19, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »

I don't have a packaging suggestion but want to say that I am sure a lot of folks who do work at older buildings would love one of these.

I counted and I found 50 people I know up here in the northeast that would want one. I know I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have no desire to undertake a major commercial project. It seems the companies selling the cheap outlet testers that don't work should be interested in something that does work. A real commercial version would require UL approval (like the ones that don't work). This UL approval only confirms that it won't burn your house down or kill the operator.

When I find a convenient form factor to package this (probably built into something else) I can make these in modest volumes. Since the PCB will be so small the standard prototype panel would probably make 20 or 30 of these. But I won't start the PCB layout until I have a physical packaging plan. 

I am too old to hand assemble these in quantity, but that can be farmed out.

Your mission is to think of something slick to build these into. I like the idea of building it into a GFCI plug, but that doesn't sound cheap. I like cheap, while the GCI plug could provide protection in use. Perhaps I need to revisit building this into a GFCI outlet strip. Maybe with a stinger cap ground to cover more bases and allow the show to go on even when revealing adverse conditions. 

JR

PS: If any real company is interested feel free to contact me.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »

JR - Just received your UOT (Ultimate Outlet Tester) in the mail, and it appears to still be in one piece. So I'll start testing tonight and report back on how it works.

BTW: I do have someone who might be interested in manufacturing your design if it works as advertised. Call me anytime to confer.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »

JR - Just received your UOT (Ultimate Outlet Tester) in the mail, and it appears to still be in one piece. So I'll start testing tonight and report back on how it works.

BTW: I do have someone who might be interested in manufacturing your design if it works as advertised. Call me anytime to confer.

Sweet....  we can work on that name... I like something like "the only accurate tester" or something like that.

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.