ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line  (Read 185684 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: brain storm an optimal human safety system for back line
« Reply #350 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »

The eagle has landed...

I has to steal some blue LEDs from a broken dishwasher control board to pop these...

Both pix are of my intentional RPBG test outlet.

First picture with no finger touch is Blue LED and Green LED indication power and ground present... Unfortunately it does not perceive that ground is hot, just that something it is connected.

Second picture is the near full light show. Blue and green for power and ground present, then red and yellow LEDs for RPBG

All other wiring configurations test accurately...

My ground fix no longer gives a false good ground for my one kitchen outlet with leaky impedances on the open ground (from several kitchen appliances), but I now I do get a very dim red on just that one outlet with a leaky ground. Such a conflicting dim indication when ground registers as open should be ignored but I'll keep chewing on this...

So good progress,,, Sorry about the photos but a lot of light in a tight space. The blue is kind of bright so I need to tone that down some,,but I need to see what my actual blue LEDs look like... they are due in any day now.

JR

Note: that standard tester plugged in the other hole is saying all OK for the RPBG outlets.  :o
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #351 on: October 07, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »

I swapped out the blue LEDs and they are still too bright so I need to tweak some more resistor values, not trivial with tiny SMD parts... I need to order some more values.

Everything works great and I tamed my false ground readings, but now that one leaky ground outlet is causing dim indications on ground and neutral hot LEDs. I am pretty sure I can squelch that with different resistor values while it will take more field testing to find any other quirks. 

For now if the ground LED indicates floating/open ground we should question spurious dim readings elsewhere... I think I just need to lower the impedances around this, and lower the current driving the blue LED.. the blue color is so intense it almost makes my green LED look yellow.

A commercial product needs to be bigger and LEDs spaced further apart. But this prototype stage is just proving out the circuit design, not a production product design.

JR

[edit] I just tested with a different value resistor and I can kill that last weak leakage, now I just need to wait for some proper SMD resistors (I tested with a huge thru hole part). So probably later this week.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  [/edit]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:25:18 PM by John Roberts {JR} »

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #352 on: October 07, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »

JR,

It looks great! I've been [silently] following this thread just to see what progress has been like; I haven't encountered too many improperly-wired outlets, but this little gizmo might make me even more certain of that.

Very much looking forward to the finished product.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »

I am talking to a company to possibly partner on this and the stinger GFCI power drop. They are already in the business and could use their existing tooling with minor modification. They also have experience dealing with UL.

I just need to be very careful about the NIH philosophy. I used to be the guy who evaluated outside technology at my last day job and I gonged every single idea i reviewed, so I need to be sensitive to that.   8)

JR

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #354 on: October 08, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »

For the truly discerning guitar player you could sell a premium version with platinum alloy contacts guaranteed to be sonically transparent.
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #355 on: October 08, 2015, 01:53:07 AM »

For the truly discerning guitar player you could sell a premium version with platinum alloy contacts guaranteed to be sonically transparent.

It will also need a mica circuit board and a marble or Rosewood case to truly be audiophile quality.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #356 on: October 08, 2015, 02:22:16 AM »

It will also need a mica circuit board and a marble or Rosewood case to truly be audiophile quality.

Oh no. No, no, no.  Lets not let this particular "discussion" degrade into audiophoolery, please! 
JR's got something REAL and USEFUL here.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #357 on: October 08, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »

I'm a beta tester for JR. It turns out that my entire dwelling (such as it is) has RPBG on the receptacles that are NEMA 5-15 (not to mention the 1-15 receptacles).  Plug-in GFCIs for me!
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #358 on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »

I'm a beta tester for JR. It turns out that my entire dwelling (such as it is) has RPBG on the receptacles that are NEMA 5-15 (not to mention the 1-15 receptacles).  Plug-in GFCIs for me!

It is not clear what is going on at Mark's house, unless he did more testing since we last spoke.

The red LED should not light ever unless you are touching the probe. I have seen some dim red LED leakage when plugged into my RPBG test outlet.

When you touch the probe with RPBG you will get red, yellow. and green (ground) LEDs.

Please follow up with VOM or Neon lamp probe as I suggested.

I'll get you a second generation tester soon... I'd be careful around those outlets, until confirmed good, or fixed.

JR

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #359 on: October 08, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »

Here's an article I wrote on how to test for RPBG outlets manually with a meter and a NCVT. Best to double-check: http://ecmweb.com/contractor/failures-outlet-testing-exposed

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #359 on: October 08, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.