ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?  (Read 57858 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2018, 10:03:20 AM »

Something inside me wants to build a Time Cube like device just to say I tried/did! Like I have free time to do that these days!

Years ago I built a bucket brigade delay out of a project book, it kind of worked when I finished it and passed something that sounded like audio.
I published a BBD delay kit in Popular electronics in 1976.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »

JR
I remember that.  I really wanted to build one, and I didn't know why---- :)  It just seemed like a cool idea.

I used to read every issue cover to cover.

In fact, you could find me at the local college on weekend nights, down in the basement, in a far corner, reading microfish issues of old electronic magazines from years past, making copies at 5cent ea.

I still have some of those in a box somewhere.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 10:07:20 PM »

I remember that.  I really wanted to build one, and I didn't know why---- :)  It just seemed like a cool idea.

In fact, you could find me at the local college on weekend nights, down in the basement, in a far corner, reading microfiche issues of old electronic magazines from years past, making copies at 5 cents ea.

Have you still got all of your 'Carl and Jerry' stories?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »

In fact, you could find me at the local college on weekend nights, down in the basement, in a far corner, reading microfish issues of old electronic magazines from years past, making copies at 5cent ea.

Of all the various ways in which my 18 year old daughter has it so much better than 18 year old me did, i think access to information is by far the most significant area.

If you wanted to know the history of the Roman Empire, it was fairly easy to find all you needed at your local library.  But if your pursuits were at all outside of the mainstream [i.e. Everything That I Cared About At All] it was SO difficult to gain access to ANY information about it.

This did breed in me an ability to figure things out The Hard Way [i.e. break it and then figure out how to UnBreak it], so maybe it was good for me in a way.  But man was it ever frustrating.

I Do still remember when i got my hands on my first Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook from, yes, my Public Library.  I paid a few late fees on that puppy until i basically had it memorized...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »

I still have a copy of Mix Magazine from the mid 70s that had a five page primer on the math of decibel conversion, voltage gain, all the fun stuff that was difficult to mine from electrical engineering texts from EE courses I wasn't taking.

...  But if your pursuits were at all outside of the mainstream [i.e. Everything That I Cared About At All] it was SO difficult to gain access to ANY information about it.

I Do still remember when i got my hands on my first Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook from, yes, my Public Library.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

Of all the various ways in which my 18 year old daughter has it so much better than 18 year old me did, i think access to information is by far the most significant area.
and the youts don't appreciate it.  ::)
If you wanted to know the history of the Roman Empire, it was fairly easy to find all you needed at your local library.  But if your pursuits were at all outside of the mainstream [i.e. Everything That I Cared About At All] it was SO difficult to gain access to ANY information about it.
you'd have to ask an old person. (I had two older brothers and they were somewhat helpful, while not very accomodating. I got better help from their college roomates when they visited the homestead.)
This did breed in me an ability to figure things out The Hard Way [i.e. break it and then figure out how to UnBreak it], so maybe it was good for me in a way.  But man was it ever frustrating.

I Do still remember when i got my hands on my first Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook from, yes, my Public Library.  I paid a few late fees on that puppy until i basically had it memorized...
Not to burst your bubble but that was a marketing exercise and yamaha copied the former EV Bible (IIRC?).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »

and the youts don't appreciate it.  ::)you'd have to ask an old person. (I had two older brothers and they were somewhat helpful, while not very accomodating. I got better help from their college roomates when they visited the homestead.)Not to burst your bubble but that was a marketing exercise and yamaha copied the former EV Bible (IIRC?).

JR

Bubble still intact.  Obviously It was a marketing exercise. I was never under any illusions otherwise.  😀  I was just so happy to find actual useful information on even the most basic of things. Especially since I had no older anythings to pry knowledge from.

Although I thought the Yamaha SR HB came out earlier in the 80’s. But I think I was too busy in the early 80’s breaking and rebuilding old chevys to spend time breaking sound gear.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »

and the youts don't appreciate it.  ::)you'd have to ask an old person. (I had two older brothers and they were somewhat helpful, while not very accomodating. I got better help from their college roomates when they visited the homestead.)Not to burst your bubble but that was a marketing exercise and yamaha copied the former EV Bible (IIRC?).

JR
I have 10 or 11"issues" of the EV Bible....
It was good marketing for EV, nowhere near the info that the Yammi book provided.
I got the feeling that the issues i had were the only issues available.
And yes, I did learn something from them.
And the Yammi book, and so may other books.
LOOOONG before google became the acceptable way of gathering questionable "facts"....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »

JR

I remember that!  At one point I seriously considered building it but was distracted with college.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.