ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?  (Read 57817 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:10 AM »

The cabinets look like they might be Clair S4s.

I don't think the large "horn like things" being hoisted into place are actually used-there is no "rear horn", but rather they were just for decoration.

I could be wrong however.

That was my thought at first, too, but a few seconds later there is a long shot of the stage and sound wings, and I see no other PA.  Granted it's pretty low-res, but it makes me wonder if these multi-cells are actually used as horns.  I don't see anything behind them during the lift, but....

The show was c.1992.  We might have some forum member who were around for that tour...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »

That was my thought at first, too, but a few seconds later there is a long shot of the stage and sound wings, and I see no other PA.  Granted it's pretty low-res, but it makes me wonder if these multi-cells are actually used as horns.  I don't see anything behind them during the lift, but....

The show was c.1992.  We might have some forum member who were around for that tour...
At 1:58 and 2:01 you can clearly see the "other PA" that is basically square boxes with grill cloth-about the size of S4s.

However there are also various large horns that are "hanging free" on the scaffolding in those shots as well.

I still think they were decoration.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »

At 1:58 and 2:01 you can clearly see the "other PA" that is basically square boxes with grill cloth-about the size of S4s.

However there are also various large horns that are "hanging free" on the scaffolding in those shots as well.

Please let us start the rumor that Clair first developed the S4 for Nuremburg!!

It is custom-made for FOX News: "Did a Pennsylvania sound company support Hitler?"

Anthony Bowe

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »

I still reckon the sound of a classic horn loaded 4 way beats a line array any day. Would still love to find a close shot of the horn in that video that JG put up.
M

Agree 100%, and yes, my back is shot after lugging W bins up and down stairs.
"Kick it in the guts Barry"
"Where do these stairs go?" "They go up."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »

I'd bet you're right.  For years the general public associated multi-cell horns with "good sound".  Remember all the Radio Shack and other cheap stereo speakers that had plastic multi-cell exposed horns that had nothing behind them?  Occasionally they were used with a small paper tweeter or piezo but I can't remember any outside of the home Altec's they were copying that actually had compression drivers.  Those plywood multi-cells I think were meant to convey to the public "speakers!" since the S4 type boxes didn't look so exciting.  I remember a guy in Hawaii in the late '70s with his small 5 way cabinets that sounded amazing in the arena but didn't look so impressive, so he stacked up empty bins and horns so that it "felt" like a real concert.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »

I'm off topic for Hitler's sound system, but back to the size of horns: can anyone comment on the PA in this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFD2gu007dc

there are some shots starting at 1:47 into the video

what is the PA?
what is driving those horns?

thanks!

Some friends of mine worked on the Adams audio crew back in the 90's
The PA would have been Jason Sound J60's. The wedges in the video are definitely JSI J17's.
The big cellular horns were set pieces.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2016, 02:46:55 AM »

Agree 100%, and yes, my back is shot after lugging W bins up and down stairs.
There is an easier way in the down direction!

Steve.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »

Different year-but same "party"

Not any useful information-but a photo anyway

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208693011065320&set=p.10208693011065320&type=3&theater
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:11 AM »

From Hitler, to rock bands, to an old political convention, to planes, to rock bands, to set pieces!

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 06:11:47 AM »

Please let us start the rumor that Clair first developed the S4 for Nuremburg!!

It is custom-made for FOX News: "Did a Pennsylvania sound company support Hitler?"

While I'd love to make a joke about the model number missing an "S," I am reminded of all the killed and murdered people and destroyed buildings from that era every time I walk out my door

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 06:11:47 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.