ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?  (Read 57832 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 07:17:20 AM »

up until the 80's the flight data recorders in big airplanes had a needle that etched the flight info on a tin foil strip. they went to digital fdr's. this is flight one zero one zero asking for clearence Clarance.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »

1 - The Who (or part of the Who) in the Sportatreum in South Florida.  I am not even sure it was music.  Just a mass of noise above the crowd.  The venue was awful.  It was like being inside a bong with dirty water and then the sound.

Wow, that brings back memories. I cannot even remember how many concerts I saw at the Sportatorium. A giant metal shed with a leaky roof.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »

I cannot even remember how many concerts I saw at the Sportatorium.

Was that its real name?

Steve.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

up until the 80's the flight data recorders in big airplanes had a needle that etched the flight info on a tin foil strip. they went to digital fdr's. this is flight one zero one zero asking for clearence Clarance.

This is true, but the FDR is a data recorder.  It records data points such as airspeed, altitude etc.  (the current ones are amazing, and most modern jets also have a maintenance DR).

The audio is a different device called the "cockpit voice recorder".  It was a loop tape, and pushing the erase button once you land was a critical procedure, or else your escapades with the stewardess on the "lay" could be career limiting.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »

This is true, but the FDR is a data recorder.  It records data points such as airspeed, altitude etc.  (the current ones are amazing, and most modern jets also have a maintenance DR).

The audio is a different device called the "cockpit voice recorder".  It was a loop tape, and pushing the erase button once you land was a critical procedure, or else your escapades with the stewardess on the "lay" could be career limiting.
the cvr records everything they say. they joked about crashing. flaps were not set. an engine compressor stall. hu oh !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19SyOBdYwM#t=15

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »

the cvr records everything they say. they joked about crashing. flaps were not set. an engine compressor stall. hu oh !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19SyOBdYwM#t=15

One of my corpy gigs is a safety conference that is partially sponsored by the NTSB.  We get to see/hear a lot of ATC, ground and CVR audio and now, preserved surveillance video from airports (runway incursion/excursion, approach/departure errors, etc).  The "sterile cockpit" and full use of checklists is more important than most of us realize.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »

One of my corpy gigs is a safety conference that is partially sponsored by the NTSB.  We get to see/hear a lot of ATC, ground and CVR audio and now, preserved surveillance video from airports (runway incursion/excursion, approach/departure errors, etc).  The "sterile cockpit" and full use of checklists is more important than most of us realize.

When I started flying in the early 80's cockpits were arranged with no thought to workflow or ergonomics.

No checklists and emergency memory items are taught as "flows" and in newer private and commercial aircraft the switches are grouped together logically.

When one missed item can kill 300 people in a transport class plane (and it has, burned out landing gear lights, flap/slats settings, proper power adjustment) these simple items have all caused accidents that had the industry revisit the entire process.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »

I just saw an article in the WSJ about reducing flight crews on jumbo jets down to one pilot, using ground based co-pilots to do the light lifting. I think they are even pondering eventually going with no pilots, while they expect push back from the public over that.  ;D ;D ;D

Some recent landing crashes have been blamed on too much automation, where the pilots do not have the old school "seat of the pants" flying skills (like Capt Sulley did) to react to or even foresee a problem. Landing a jumbo jet is not exactly like hang gliding.

Even worse some high performance combat aircraft airfoils are not even stable so require computer assist to keep pointed in the right direction. 

JR

PS: I wouldn't mind a technology capability for ground personnel to take over and land an aircraft when the flight crew is unresponsive or somehow incapacitated, while the risk of this control being hacked with bad intentions seems very real.   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »

I just saw an article in the WSJ about reducing flight crews on jumbo jets down to one pilot, using ground based co-pilots to do the light lifting. I think they are even pondering eventually going with no pilots, while they expect push back from the public over that.  ;D ;D ;D

Some recent landing crashes have been blamed on too much automation, where the pilots do not have the old school "seat of the pants" flying skills (like Capt Sulley did) to react to or even foresee a problem. Landing a jumbo jet is not exactly like hang gliding.

Even worse some high performance combat aircraft airfoils are not even stable so require computer assist to keep pointed in the right direction. 

JR

PS: I wouldn't mind a technology capability for ground personnel to take over and land an aircraft when the flight crew is unresponsive or somehow incapacitated, while the risk of this control being hacked with bad intentions seems very real.
if they do i wonder how long before someone hacks into the system and crashes the plane.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.