ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?  (Read 57821 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Nuremburg Ralley PA ?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:53 PM »

While I'd love to make a joke about the model number missing an "S," I am reminded of all the killed and murdered people and destroyed buildings from that era every time I walk out my door

Jokes about an authoritarian goverment that stokes racial and religous hatred are always in poor taste. Thank you for resisting temptation.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »

Unless you live with such a government in which case it’s the least you can do.

Jokes about an authoritarian goverment that stokes racial and religous hatred are always in poor taste. Thank you for resisting temptation.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2018, 02:27:03 PM »

So noted. I wasn't sure I could say that....
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »

I was lucky enough to be born in the US, but while in the army (defending the 1st amendment among others) I got to visit countries that had a history of being less well behaved.

Not sure we should open that can of worms here and now...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2018, 04:54:06 PM »

The observation that citizens should push back against oppressive government isn't politics by the definition of the forum I suspect.  Deciding which governments fall under that definition might be though.

So noted. I wasn't sure I could say that....

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2018, 05:58:24 PM »

The observation that citizens should push back against oppressive government isn't politics by the definition of the forum I suspect.  Deciding which governments fall under that definition might be though.
Don't tread on me....     8)

JR

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2018, 11:35:27 PM »

I'd bet you're right.  For years the general public associated multi-cell horns with "good sound".  Remember all the Radio Shack and other cheap stereo speakers that had plastic multi-cell exposed horns that had nothing behind them?  Occasionally they were used with a small paper tweeter or piezo but I can't remember any outside of the home Altec's they were copying that actually had compression drivers.  Those plywood multi-cells I think were meant to convey to the public "speakers!" since the S4 type boxes didn't look so exciting.  I remember a guy in Hawaii in the late '70s with his small 5 way cabinets that sounded amazing in the arena but didn't look so impressive, so he stacked up empty bins and horns so that it "felt" like a real concert.
Honk honk !

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »

Honk honk !
When I was a kid growing up (a while ago) my dad's hifi (one large speaker) had a cast iron (?) multi cell horn. The speaker was mounted in the corner of the living room angled up slightly, so I suspect dad was going for some free bass boost from the corner placement, and optimistically hoping to provide sound to the whole house. My recollection was a low single digit watt tube amp.  8)

JR

Roland Clarke

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2018, 05:08:15 AM »

I have heard (cannot confirm) that delay was achieved in the early days by running a small speaker into a tube with a mic at the other end (plane wave tube).

This tube could then be coiled up to the length needed.

The mic would supply the delay system.

I heard someone recently use this trick for a guitar sound, unfortunately you end up with multiple delays and a very filtered sound so I suspect even if it were tried, it was likely unsuccessful, at least in terms of a standard delay.  Soundwise it was reminiscent of several tannoy horns around a school field with added resonance and top rolling off from about 1k.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »

When I was a kid growing up (a while ago) my dad's hifi (one large speaker) had a cast iron (?) multi cell horn. The speaker was mounted in the corner of the living room angled up slightly, so I suspect dad was going for some free bass boost from the corner placement, and optimistically hoping to provide sound to the whole house. My recollection was a low single digit watt tube amp.  8)

JR
Early Klipsh?  Or DIY similar?  I remember that was popular "back in the day".

In the '60s my dad found some very thin EVs with whizzers that he mounted in the wall, using the stud space as an infinite baffle.  My mom put picture frames with burlap and a couple plastic plants for decoration over them.  A KnightKit amp with 2 EL84s per channel sounded loud to me in those days.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.