ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DME Networking over internet?  (Read 2351 times)

Tim Harrigan

Yamaha DME Networking over internet?
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:35:34 am »

Working on a project where the client want to remote control a DME24 processor.  We have been over the "you really don't want to use the internet for critical ops" scenario.  This will not be active mixing just head amp adjustment, compression and some basic level mixing for 2 or 3 mics. 
Problem is the way Yamaha uses the midi over ethernet. Anyone used the DME24 and software for a remote connection?
Looks like we might end up with a remote pc..?  This is not ideal because the remote end will not have any tech folks, just talent.
thanks all
Tim Harrigan

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Yamaha DME Networking over internet?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:49 am »

If you install a remote over Internet client like team viewer or logmein, there is no need to even have a monitor at the remote site.  I use this type of setup for many installs. 
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:10:10 am »

In general I've found that the Yamaha software can't even work outside a local subnet.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:26 am »

In general I've found that the Yamaha software can't even work outside a local subnet.

Scott, would that mean they are using layer 2 communications and not IP?  I am not saying they are or are not, but if layer 3 is being used, it shouldn't have any problems dealing with routers.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Harrigan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 09:38:11 am »

Scott, would that mean they are using layer 2 communications and not IP?  I am not saying they are or are not, but if layer 3 is being used, it shouldn't have any problems dealing with routers.
I believe i was told that because of the implementation of the midi over ethernet that the dme uses that the layer 3 was not possible.
Seems very limited in todays network environment.
Surely Yamaha is working on a new set of DME boxes that will drop the midi, have full function across networks (like other boxes) and use Dante.  The DME line is a bit old, especially the ethersound and cobranet versions.
Tim

Scott Helmke

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:45:40 pm »

I've not looked into the exact details. But they tend to use the MAC address as part of their control protocol, which makes things a bit more difficult. A year or two ago I was tearing my hair out trying to do control over an industrial wifi access point that forced separate subnets for its wired and wireless ports, never did get that to work.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 03:17:31 pm »

The only way this would probably work is if you have a VPN setup that will give your remote computer an ip address on the same network as the DME.  Then MAYBE it will work.  However, considering how delicate the Yamaha MIDI over ethernet is when using wifi then the latency introduced by the Internet + VPN sounds pretty problematic to me.  IF you were able to get this to work I bet it would quickly be rejected as unworkable for actual use.

The best solution was mentioned above.  Put in a headless PC racked up with the DME and then use your remote control app of choice to access it remotely.  I'd set up a scheduled reboot on the system so that you don't get stale windows syndrome.  I'd also use some method to mark the power button so you can walk a non-tech person through a quick hard reboot.

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:05:04 am »

If you want remote Network Vpn access I have used Cisco Meraki products with great results. With a mx80 or mx60 on either side everything plugged into them will look and act like they are on the same network. Or yo can have just one at the install and VPN into it. They are not super cheap and require a cloud subscription but very cool. I have used them with installs of ilive, ql1, and symetrix products (although the never a DME system). Feel free to pm me if you want more detail.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:08:34 am by John J Saunders »
John Saunders

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:05:04 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.