ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a small format rig  (Read 12856 times)

Robert Patch

Re: Suggestions for a small format rig
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »

8000 pounds is roughly $12,500 US, that gets him a class above the PRX/KW stuff and then some. The 153's are also fairly beefy to move alone.

Better than PRX and money to spare:

For example:
(2) RCF NX12sma $3000
(2) TH mini ~$2500
(1) Crown XTi 4000 $950

Those are an example of components and he still has $6000 left for cables racks, stands, a trip to Vegas, a second setup, whatever.

Maybe I missed something but you can get a nice PA for small gigs for well under $12500

That would be a nice small system (other than the wires sticking out the top of the speakers).  60 x 60 degree coverage.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »

For small shows, I use JBL SRX712M's over SRX718S, and it does a great job. 

I have an 8 space rack that has an X32 Rack and 2 QSC PLXD 4.5s in it which powers the rig quite nicely. For smaller shows, I can split the power of the amps and drive 4 monitor mixes as well if I need to.  With this configuration, I see no advantage of using powered speakers versus the amps. Yeah, if the amps weren't in the rack it would be a little lighter, but then I have to hook up more than twice as many cables.  Using NL4 cable, it's one run to the sub and a jumper to the top.  Going powered it's signal AND power to each speaker and then adjustments at the speaker. Trade off acceptable to me.
Brian Jojade

Scott Bolt

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:39 PM »

In theory... However, we seem to pay £1 for every $1 of the US price, despite what the exchange rate might actually be.

Steve.

Yep.  My condolences :(

So we are talking about $8000.00 USD budget in terms of what we could buy here.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »

Love my 712/718 rig. Powerful, lightweight and can fit in my SUV with four QSC k12's. Always enough rig for my smaller indoor shows

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »

In theory... However, we seem to pay £1 for every $1 of the US price, despite what the exchange rate might actually be.

Steve.

That stinks, however my suggestion still leaves you with beer money and more...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »

That stinks, however my suggestion still leaves you with beer money and more...

I'll give you the NX, but I am not so sure about a pair of TH Mini's stacking up against a pair of PRX718XLF's.  I have never personally heard the mini's, it is just tough to imagine such small subs keeping up with the XLF's.

I'll also give you the KW153 not being an easy lift.... but it is a really nice sounding speaker if you can live with the lift ;)

I was also suggesting a matched pair of speakers for looks and to avoid any processing issues.

Do you think that the NX over TH Mini would be a nicer sounding rig and a higher output rig..... or just a nicer sounding rig?

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »

I'll give you the NX, but I am not so sure about a pair of TH Mini's stacking up against a pair of PRX718XLF's.  I have never personally heard the mini's, it is just tough to imagine such small subs keeping up with the XLF's.

I'll also give you the KW153 not being an easy lift.... but it is a really nice sounding speaker if you can live with the lift ;)

I was also suggesting a matched pair of speakers for looks and to avoid any processing issues.

Do you think that the NX over TH Mini would be a nicer sounding rig and a higher output rig..... or just a nicer sounding rig?

I personally use KW153's as my small-ish banquet type of rig and they have never done me wrong. I use them over a KW181 and find if I stand on the sub or if there is a 2-3' stage I can fairly easily heave them on the stand. Or if no sub the Iwa Jima method works well.

I can't answer the question directly about the PRX718 vs a well powered TH Mini. I have not done a head to head. I was mostly not suggesting the PRX because the OP mentioned wanting something above the level of local bands. Also, it didn't sound like he needed crazy output for this rig. Personally I am fine with the KW or PRX stuff for these types of gigs, but the OP sounds like he wants to set himself apart by having higher end stuff.

Maybe I am reading too much into that...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »

I have no experience with the PRX718, but you are comparing a front loaded woofer to a horn loaded woofer.

The horn adds a lot of gain to the driver-so the sensitivity is a lot higher.  Consider also that the powered cabinet is limited (by the internal amplifier size) to half of the peak power that the TH mini can handle.

You can't go by size alone.  It is how it is used that makes the difference.

Of course side by side would be the best way to tell.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »

I have no experience with the PRX718, but you are comparing a front loaded woofer to a horn loaded woofer.

The horn adds a lot of gain to the driver-so the sensitivity is a lot higher.  Consider also that the powered cabinet is limited (by the internal amplifier size) to half of the peak power that the TH mini can handle.

You can't go by size alone.  It is how it is used that makes the difference.

Of course side by side would be the best way to tell.
Thanks for the reply Ivan.

Yea, I figured the horn would add quite a bit.  My old CV earthquakes (nothing as nice as the Danley stuff) would seriously put out the umph .... just seemed kind of like a one-note-wonder to my ears..... but loud for sure.

The beauty of wave guides ;)

Hey, if you have a pair of TH Mini's sitting around the lab .... it is getting close to Christmas .... and I would be happy to do that head to head with the XLF's for you ;)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »

A pair of Mini's are impressive, but I'd rather a single 115 instead.  Roughly as loud, but plays deeper so sounds "larger", and costs less.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.