ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a small format rig  (Read 12703 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Suggestions for a small format rig
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »

I see a lot of HK stuff over on our side of the Atlantic.

Something like this: http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index.php/hk-audio-elias-px-1600w-active-pa-system.html

Steve.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »

No doubt that the NX is a nice speaker.  It is also much more expensive than the K's, KW's, PRX's, etc.

What is your budget?  I understand you are looking for a top over sub per side based on the discussion so far.  Is that true?

How important is size and weight vs sound quality and SPL?

Well budget is sub £8,000, size and weight is important in that I have to cart the kit and I could lower the budget if I decided to go for slightly older, heavier kit, my reckoning is that you can get good quality, high spl for lower money these days, that's good old progress for you.  I am interested to look at the Presonus stuff, heard a few people saying very positive things about it and that they can go seriously loud without "crowding" that afflicts so many budget systems of old.  I guess that I'm not looking to mix "metal" bands, so I do more at the quality rather than quantity end, but it's always good to have enough grunt for to make the house "rock" a bit. 

These sort of jobs, I have in the past, successfully done with things like small D&B rigs and alike, however, my budget doesn't stretch that far, and I think I need a powered system to make it portable enough without needing to hire help every time, if I am to make it viable for the price I am looking to charge.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »

Things have really changed at EAW, thankfully.

Check out this guy: 3-way 60x40, top hat for pole mount.

I have not heard it, but it has a Focus preset.  Passive/biamp.

If it checks out, maybe go with TH-118, which I have used, and are fantastic kit.

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/kf364/
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »

I see a lot of HK stuff over on our side of the Atlantic.

Something like this: http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index.php/hk-audio-elias-px-1600w-active-pa-system.html

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Used a lot of Actor and Projector systems in the past, Actor DX was a vast improvement, however, been using things like 2 x DB Technologies DVA T4 over their DVA S2585N, which works quite a bit better than the HK, but rigging even 2 line array modules is time consuming and I thought I should be able to get a 1 top box solution that should offer similar SPL and probably better response.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »

Things have really changed at EAW, thankfully.

Check out this guy: 3-way 60x40, top hat for pole mount.

I have not heard it, but it has a Focus preset.  Passive/biamp.

If it checks out, maybe go with TH-118, which I have used, and are fantastic kit.

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/kf364/

That looks interesting, certainly plenty of output.  The configuration is similar to the D&B Q series.  Do they do a powered version too or strictly passive?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »

That looks interesting, certainly plenty of output.  The configuration is similar to the D&B Q series.  Do they do a powered version too or strictly passive?

Yes.

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/kf364nt/

Mac

Scott Bolt

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »

Well budget is sub £8,000, size and weight is important in that I have to cart the kit and I could lower the budget if I decided to go for slightly older, heavier kit, my reckoning is that you can get good quality, high spl for lower money these days, that's good old progress for you.  I am interested to look at the Presonus stuff, heard a few people saying very positive things about it and that they can go seriously loud without "crowding" that afflicts so many budget systems of old.  I guess that I'm not looking to mix "metal" bands, so I do more at the quality rather than quantity end, but it's always good to have enough grunt for to make the house "rock" a bit. 

These sort of jobs, I have in the past, successfully done with things like small D&B rigs and alike, however, my budget doesn't stretch that far, and I think I need a powered system to make it portable enough without needing to hire help every time, if I am to make it viable for the price I am looking to charge.
I haven't heard a db rig, but have heard good things about them.

Your budget doesn't get you into a Danley rig, but is more than you need for either a KW or PRX rig.

If output is more important that portability, then I would recommend KW153's over KW181's.  With your budget you should be able to get 1 or 2 extra KW181's for bigger venues.

If size and weight is more important, then the PRX712's over the PRX718XLF's would be my suggestion.  If you are open to mixing and matching, then the DSR112 makes a nice match to the 718XLF and has a bit more output and is a little cleaner sound to my ears.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »

I haven't heard a db rig, but have heard good things about them.

Your budget doesn't get you into a Danley rig, but is more than you need for either a KW or PRX rig.

If output is more important that portability, then I would recommend KW153's over KW181's.  With your budget you should be able to get 1 or 2 extra KW181's for bigger venues.

If size and weight is more important, then the PRX712's over the PRX718XLF's would be my suggestion.  If you are open to mixing and matching, then the DSR112 makes a nice match to the 718XLF and has a bit more output and is a little cleaner sound to my ears.

8000 pounds is roughly $12,500 US, that gets him a class above the PRX/KW stuff and then some. The 153's are also fairly beefy to move alone.

Better than PRX and money to spare:

For example:
(2) RCF NX12sma $3000
(2) TH mini ~$2500
(1) Crown XTi 4000 $950

Those are an example of components and he still has $6000 left for cables racks, stands, a trip to Vegas, a second setup, whatever.

Maybe I missed something but you can get a nice PA for small gigs for well under $12500

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 01:42:16 AM »

8000 pounds is roughly $12,500 US, that gets him a class above the PRX/KW stuff and then some.

In theory... However, we seem to pay £1 for every $1 of the US price, despite what the exchange rate might actually be.

Steve.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 01:52:06 AM »

Is K-Array popular in you neck of the woods?  The KR402 seems a possibility.  Dealer cost should be close to your budget.

Cheers,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 01:52:06 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.