ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a small format rig  (Read 12854 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: Suggestions for a small format rig
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »

Hi Lyle,

I have several clients that do some smaller form gigs, where (with less than 400 punters) there is a limit on budget.  Usually I dry hire in kit and have my margin plus my fee on top, but with really small shows there isn't the budget for both me and the hire.  A smaller system to cover just these sort of events, that is a level above most "band's own systems", is a niche I am looking to fill.  Being that it will be me and the band helping to hump I need a light, powerful, compact, simple yet elegant solution that can all fit inside a people carrier type vehicle.  Unfortunately a single stack, mono system isn't going to make the grade for my clients, larger gigs, then the budget is there for kit hire.

I agree on the problem "selling" clients on a single stack, but it will sound just fine.  To be honest, it will probably sound better than two stacks.  Sadly people have spent their lives believing in stereo.  You can't change that.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 11:06:43 PM »

What about Danley SM80?
JBL VP series sounds great as well, can't remember off hand about a pole mount on them though.
 The Fulcrum FA12 sound ridiculously good as well. Someone here had a few for sale in the market place.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »

I agree on the problem "selling" clients on a single stack, but it will sound just fine.  To be honest, it will probably sound better than two stacks.  Sadly people have spent their lives believing in stereo.  You can't change that.

That's true, the largest problem is that central speakers really need to be flown and in the scheme of things that's an issue with a quick and cheap gig.  I really need light, few elements, quality sound to cover the vast majority of "small" gigs.  At the other end, the shows I'm involved with have the budget for more.  I guess I'm looking to be able to do show's that I'd like to do, but at the moment are not viable financially.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 05:57:44 AM »

What about Danley SM80?
JBL VP series sounds great as well, can't remember off hand about a pole mount on them though.
 The Fulcrum FA12 sound ridiculously good as well. Someone here had a few for sale in the market place.

The Danley is an interesting box, but possible a bit larger than I would ideally be looking for.  Fulcrum's don't seem to have a presence in the UK so that rules them out for me, the JBL's are a thought. What are your thoughts on how they stack up against QSC's?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 07:32:55 AM »

What about Danley SM80?

VP have no stock pole cups, just fly points.  Impressive specs but a bit weighty per OP at close to 80 lbs/ box.  Onboard network controlled DSP a plus, but again...stack or fly requires a pair of hefty stands and a well-engineered hang system counter to the "small gig/system"  concept.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »

The Danley is an interesting box, but possible a bit larger than I would ideally be looking for. 
The Danley SM100 is a bit smaller than the SM80-has a wider pattern-less expensive-lighter-naturally goes lower but also has less output capability.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »

http://www.carvinworld.com/products/single.php?product=TRC400A&cid=68

I am not sure about availability where you are or pricing.

This is what I use for small venues now.  I still have my TCS stuff but this is easier to set up and helps keeps the sound off of the ceiling.  They may have a little too wide of coverage for some narrow rooms but my results have been great.  I have used them for everthing from full bands to religious services.  I know that Live Sound International has a current review of them. 

I am sold on tall, skinny speakers for a lot of stuff now.  They aren't perfect for every application but they sure do good at the applications that they are well suited for.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »

VP have no stock pole cups, just fly points.  Impressive specs but a bit weighty per OP at close to 80 lbs/ box.  Onboard network controlled DSP a plus, but again...stack or fly requires a pair of hefty stands and a well-engineered hang system counter to the "small gig/system"  concept.

I guess small and light depends on how strong you are

The QSC k series are great boxes, but I would not consider that "better than bands would have". KW are a step up, but weight steps up too.

I totally forgot about the RCF NX12SMA. They are small, crazy light at 36lbs, pole mountable, and a definite step up from the k series or PRX stuff bands would have. Price isn't bad either.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »

I guess small and light depends on how strong you are

The QSC k series are great boxes, but I would not consider that "better than bands would have". KW are a step up, but weight steps up too.

I totally forgot about the RCF NX12SMA. They are small, crazy light at 36lbs, pole mountable, and a definite step up from the k series or PRX stuff bands would have. Price isn't bad either.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.  We all know bands that do have a good system, but to be honest, many fall into the trap of having "slightly the wrong gear", great speakers, and not enough decent mic's, or a good desk, but old tired speakers, or simply not enough gear of their own to do more than a small bar.  To be honest, RCF's should have been on my list, but I overlooked them.  Thanks for the heads up.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.  We all know bands that do have a good system, but to be honest, many fall into the trap of having "slightly the wrong gear", great speakers, and not enough decent mic's, or a good desk, but old tired speakers, or simply not enough gear of their own to do more than a small bar.  To be honest, RCF's should have been on my list, but I overlooked them.  Thanks for the heads up.
No doubt that the NX is a nice speaker.  It is also much more expensive than the K's, KW's, PRX's, etc.

What is your budget?  I understand you are looking for a top over sub per side based on the discussion so far.  Is that true?

How important is size and weight vs sound quality and SPL?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.