ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a small format rig  (Read 12849 times)

Roland Clarke 1964

Suggestions for a small format rig
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »

I'm toying with the idea of getting a very small rig to do small venues 30 x 100ft 100-300 capacity type thing.  We all know that it's difficult to get a one size fits all, but I'm looking for something that can cover a band better than their own "vocal" stand pa.

So it needs to be able to handle a bit of drums, bass, guitar, keys, DI's vocals, etc.

With the changes in modern systems, I am thinking about something that is potentially small and lightweight (well for top cabs at least), with a couple of 1x18 subs, powered would probably be best as I don't want to cart amps round as well.

I have considered things such as the new Presonus AI speakers, QSC, DB Technologies, but am open to other strong recommendations or opinions about the brands (or particular models), already mentioned.

I look forward to everyone's contributions.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:55:10 PM by Roland Clarke 1964 »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Suggestions for a small format rig
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »

What is your budget?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:18 PM »

If you want to be small, go mono.  One good top over one good sub.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »

30 x 100?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »

What is your budget?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well an easy solution would be a pair of D&B Q10's over D&B subs, but that's going north of about £12,000 (with amps), I'm thinking south of £8,000,  I'm tempted to maybe look at Presonus 328's over their 1x18 subs.  I want to cover for about 10 X 30m (30 x 100ft) and audiences of 150 - 400.  I figure that there are many in here with more experience with what's available on the cheaper end of the "pro" market.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »

If you want to be small, go mono.  One good top over one good sub.

Hi Lyle,

I have several clients that do some smaller form gigs, where (with less than 400 punters) there is a limit on budget.  Usually I dry hire in kit and have my margin plus my fee on top, but with really small shows there isn't the budget for both me and the hire.  A smaller system to cover just these sort of events, that is a level above most "band's own systems", is a niche I am looking to fill.  Being that it will be me and the band helping to hump I need a light, powerful, compact, simple yet elegant solution that can all fit inside a people carrier type vehicle.  Unfortunately a single stack, mono system isn't going to make the grade for my clients, larger gigs, then the budget is there for kit hire.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:28:34 PM »

Well an easy solution would be a pair of D&B Q10's over D&B subs, but that's going north of about £12,000 (with amps), I'm thinking south of £8,000,  I'm tempted to maybe look at Presonus 328's over their 1x18 subs.  I want to cover for about 10 X 30m (30 x 100ft) and audiences of 150 - 400.  I figure that there are many in here with more experience with what's available on the cheaper end of the "pro" market.

You'll have no trouble "covering" 30 x 100, but the greater portion of the room will be in the reverberative field.  Best bet to maximize the direct sound field would be a single center speaker with pattern control as low as you can afford. 

Otherwise, some 40 degree tops if you're going to go 1/side...

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »

30 x 100?

Medium size function rooms, larger bars, small halls, ok it may be 50ft x 80ft, but I think you get the idea.

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 08:40:55 PM »

You'll have no trouble "covering" 30 x 100, but the greater portion of the room will be in the reverberative field.  Best bet to maximize the direct sound field would be a single center speaker with pattern control as low as you can afford. 

Otherwise, some 40 degree tops if you're going to go 1/side...

I get your point, but this won't be an install situation so single centre isn't going to work, and it's got to be a sort of one size made to work for all.  Are there any specific brands or boxes in my budget (size criteria), you would recommend that I need to be listening too?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »

I get your point, but this won't be an install situation so single centre isn't going to work, and it's got to be a sort of one size made to work for all.  Are there any specific brands or boxes in my budget (size criteria), you would recommend that I need to be listening too?

Well, the Q10's pattern is 110 degrees and the 328's is 90 degrees, so I wouldn't recommend either as using 1/side is going to spill a lot onto the walls one way or the other.

You might want to look at a compromise like the QSC K12 with a 75 degree conical pattern...AND a built in tilter.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.