ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tap Tempo issues with Roland M200i  (Read 4881 times)

Al Torrance

• http://www.artaudio.ca
Tap Tempo issues with Roland M200i
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have owned Roland mixers for a long time and I recently purchased a M200i a few months ago and really love the unit. However I am have one issue in regards to setting up the tap tempo to a user button and getting the tap tempo to adjust the delay time on the internal effects.

Getting the user button configured is no problem. I even see the tempo speed change when I tap the user button. So there is no problem there. However when I call up the effects rack and bring up the delay. I can see the tempo speed change in the tempo box, but I am not seeing the delay time on the delay change. Plus I am not hearing any changes in the mix.  It is like the feedback information from the user button is not getting forwarded to the actual delay.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there something I'm missing?

Slightly delayed,
Artaudio.
Al Torrance
Owner/Operator
www.artaudio.ca

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
Re: Tap Tempo issues with Roland M200i
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »

Hi Al,

I use a M400 and have not been able to get the tap button to function properly, either through the user buttons or in the user interface. I hear no audible changes and the delay times do not change.

The interesting thing for me is that the user button flashes at a frequency that reflects my tap, and the screen indicates the correct beats per minute.

I will be curious to see the responses to see if we are doing something wrong. I checked the user manual once but my understanding was the same as the book.

-Stefan

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 03:58:11 AM »

Dunno about those mixers, but IIRC, on the LS9 the display works as soon as the button is assigned, but there is no control until it is turned on with another soft button in the FX unit.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »

I will be curious to see the responses to see if we are doing something wrong. I checked the user manual once but my understanding was the same as the book.

Stefan, my experience reflects what you saw on the M400...no cigar.  Never tried it on my M480.

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »

Stefan, my experience reflects what you saw on the M400...no cigar.  Never tried it on my M480.

-JR
The user interface is goofy enough to the point where I wouldn't be shocked to see a weird obscure setting hidden somewhere. Seems like a pretty major oversight to just forget to make the tap button work correctly.

....or maybe they have a firmware update... I'll look into that a little later.

Wal Mann

• Wollongong NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:48:51 AM »

I had a quick look at the M480 at work today, the tap tempo only changes the delay time when the Delay Units is set to "Note" in the effects unit, it doesn't affect it if the units are "msec" or "Mtrs" (metres, on the Australian version)

Wal
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:52:15 AM by Wal Mann »

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »

I had a quick look at the M480 at work today, the tap tempo only changes the delay time when the Delay Units is set to "Note" in the effects unit, it doesn't affect it if the units are "msec" or "Mtrs" (metres, on the Australian version)

Wal
This.

I'm sure there's a very good explanation as to why, but I've no idea what it is. There's no mention of this in the documentation, either.

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »

This.

I'm sure there's a very good explanation as to why, but I've no idea what it is. There's no mention of this in the documentation, either.
Thank you for the note Wal. That is one of the things that has driven me crazy with this board. I would never think to try that. I can't say I have used a piece of gear that operates like this and it seems to have tripped up a few people.

Jonathan to me I can see the reasoning behind this decision, but I think it was a poor design choice (specifically due to the lack of documentation). In a sense beats per minute is a musical notation much like note is.  Milliseconds are more of a sound guy thing. Though that doesn't explain why a metre is not an approved unit of measure. I suspect the reasoning is that a note is related to tempo, whereas a metre is not. (musicians, correct me where I undoubtedly went wrong)

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 03:15:38 AM »

In a sense beats per minute is a musical notation much like note is.  Milliseconds are more of a sound guy thing. Though that doesn't explain why a metre is not an approved unit of measure. I suspect the reasoning is that a note is related to tempo, whereas a metre is not. (musicians, correct me where I undoubtedly went wrong)

From my keyboard and sequencing days, yes, usually for tap tempo the units are beats per minute or pulse per quarter note because tempo deals with time signature, not absolute time. 

On the M400/M480, I am guessing this "quirk" is due to supporting MIDI clock (not MIDI time code).  If you look at the MIDI implementation chart, the tempo is only specified in BPM.  There is a bit to slave to MIDI clock.

Or I could be totally wrong.

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 03:15:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.