ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Singer Electrocuted On Stage  (Read 19717 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Rock Singer Electrocuted On Stage
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:54:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure a mis-wired microphone DID NOT kill this guy. As we all know, it could have been his guitar amp or a PA system tied into house power improperly or even an ungrounded generator. Anyone on this forum have a connection in Argentina so we can get more intel?

Mike Sokol

==========================================

Rock singer dies after getting electrocuted onstage in Argentina
Published November 26, 2014
Fox News Latino

The lead singer of an up-and-coming Argentinian rock band died after being electrocuted onstage as he opened the group’s set to promote its first album.

Agustín Briolini, 21, guitarist and leader singer of the Krebs, received a massive electrical shock to the head as the band performed at the Theatre of the Sun in the central Argentinian city of Villa Carlos Paz. Briolini was apparently moving toward the microphone during the first song of their set when he was electrocuted.

Officials are still investigating what went wrong, but initial reports cited faulty wiring on a microphone as the cause of the electric shock.

After he was shocked, medics quickly rushed to Briolini and attempted to revive him, but after trying unsuccessfully for an hour, the medics took him to a local hospital where he was declared dead.

His bandmates, drummer Diego Regali, 21, and guitarist Gustavo Escober, 22, said they could not believe what they saw on stage or that that their friend was dead.

Pico Moyano, the lead singer of the band Iceberg, which was also performing that evening, said he was shocked that an accident like that could occur. 

"It really defies belief," he said, according to the Daily Mail. "We are in the 21st century and these sort of things simply should not happen. I find it absolutely incredible."

Right before Briolini died, he opened up onstage about his love for music and about how the band name comes from the Krebs cycle, which is a part of cellular respiration.

"For us, making music is a cyclical process," he said. "The music we make we give to people who get energy as a result, they accept that energy and they transform it, and what they create to be sent back to us, we in turn except and throw it back again with even more power in our music. It is a cycle with people and art."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:57:46 am by Mike Sokol »
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Rock Singer Electrocuted On Stage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:53:18 am »

Yep...those killer microphones are on the loose again  ::)
People should not say stuff like that until an investigation is completed.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:30:07 am »

Yep...those killer microphones are on the loose again  ::)
People should not say stuff like that until an investigation is completed.

I have been reminded a few times this week that the view that there is only one truth and it is important to find out what that truth is has become the stand taken by technical people but not by many others.

Very sad, but true.
Not to Code

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:43:34 am »

It is logical to suspect the mic from the apparent cause and effect..Of you don't understand electricity and how the gear works. I'll ask around.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 04:54:03 pm »

It is logical to suspect the mic from the apparent cause and effect..Of you don't understand electricity and how the gear works. I'll ask around.

JR

I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I think that an improperly grounded back-line guitar amp that went "hot-chassis" is more likely the cause of this electrocution rather than "mis-wired" mic. A hot mic would have been caused by a hot-chassis PA system which would have electrified ALL of the microphones at the same time.  So if the PA system was improperly grounded and went hot-chassis, then all the mics would have been hot at the same time, and there should have been shocks felt by everyone else whenever they touched any mic and a ground at the same time. Of course it's possible, but that's something that needs to be investigated by someone who understands portable power distros and grounding systems. 
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:54:16 pm »

Given the report of a "massive electrical shock to the head", I kinda wonder about the technical accuracy of other parts of the report. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the story seems to infer that he had been using the microphone to talk about the band moments before the electrocution event occurred. Something else probably changed that wasn't part of the news report.  It doesn't make the singer any less dead, however. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sokol

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

Given the report of a "massive electrical shock to the head", I kinda wonder about the technical accuracy of other parts of the report. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the story seems to infer that he had been using the microphone to talk about the band moments before the electrocution event occurred. Something else probably changed that wasn't part of the news report.  It doesn't make the singer any less dead, however. Mark C.

Perhaps it's a lost-in-translation issue, but a "shock to the head" seems inaccurate. Maybe "shock to the face", etc... If either the PA or his guitar was hot-chassis energized, and he made this initial announcement without holding onto his guitar, then that would explain why there was no shock at that point. But since he was a singer/guitarist, then the moment he picked up his guitar and got his lips on the mic, then any voltage differential between his amp chassis and the microphone body would have been deadly. So, this could have been caused by a hot guitar or a hot mic or maybe something else not reported, however unlikely. For instance, I've felt a shock from an unbonded lighting truss due to a wire with worn insulation rubbing on it, but that hardly seems to be the case here. And there's cases of electrified baptismal pools and water features where the water itself was energized from a pump motor or electrical heater with a water leak. In each of those water cases a properly wired GFCI should have saved lives. But these GFCI's had been improperly wired and didn't trip.

So here's an interesting side question. If a receptacle based GFCI has its load and line terminals accidentally reversed, I'm pretty sure it won't trip to protect you from an actual hot-to-ground fault. But will it  pass its own "self test" button even if it's wired backwards? If so, that's a false sense of security. I don't have a spare GFCI laying around to try tonight, but I'll try to pick one up tomorrow for a quick check.
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »

It could have been when his mouth touched the grill. Most singers doesn't kiss the mic while talking.

Also, he must have been grounded for this to happen so he'd probably grabbed on to something at the same time so maybe he was a guitarplayer...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 06:26:12 pm »

Just to be clear I thought it was logical for someone inexperienced about electricity to draw that conclusion, not us.

I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I think that an improperly grounded back-line guitar amp that went "hot-chassis" is more likely the cause of this electrocution rather than "mis-wired" mic.
agreed
A hot mic would have been caused by a hot-chassis PA system which would have electrified ALL of the microphones at the same time.  So if the PA system was improperly grounded and went hot-chassis, then all the mics would have been hot at the same time, and there should have been shocks felt by everyone else whenever they touched any mic and a ground at the same time. Of course it's possible, but that's something that needs to be investigated by someone who understands portable power distros and grounding systems.
Yes, but... the singer who got socked was also playing guitar... if the guitar was actually grounded that could provide the path for a hot chassis PA.

Other singers who were not clutching a guitar or otherwise grounded would not get the shock even if all the mics were hot.

I heard back from one Argentine national but he does not know any more than the news reports while he confirms that power and wiring there in performance spaces is generally pretty dodgy.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Mike Sokol

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 06:42:41 pm »

Just to be clear I thought it was logical for someone inexperienced about electricity to draw that conclusion, not us.
JR

Yes, I know that you knew that, and most of us knew what you meant, but some readers may not know what they don't know, if you know what I mean...  :D
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 06:42:41 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.