ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Test your grounds regularly!  (Read 32199 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Test your grounds regularly!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 04:38:45 AM »

No, people from the South (sorry deb NC is still the South)  say Cod Fish.  I grew up in the South and used to day it myself until I moved to the North and can order Broiled Cod.  I also learned that soda is fizzy water (aqua sin gas) and Pop is a carbonated flavored bevorage.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:41:29 AM »

No, people from the South (sorry deb NC is still the South)  say Cod Fish.  I grew up in the South and used to day it myself until I moved to the North and can order Broiled Cod.  I also learned that soda is fizzy water (aqua sin gas) and Pop is a carbonated flavored bevorage.
All of which you can enjoy while sitting on your davenport...  8)

Kevin Graf

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »

PAT testing verifies that RCD/GFCI works.  On site "trip button" testing of RCD/GFCI tells you that ground isn't open circuit.  Not foolproof though.
I'll skip the Portable Appliance Testing part as I'm not aware of anything like that in the US.
Now as to the GFCI "trip button" testing,  this test has nothing to do with the EGC Safety Ground circuit.  It only looks at the current in the Hot and Neutral conductors.
Speedskater

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »

After I moved to MS I teased relatives in NC that now they were yankees... :o

Regarding fizzy (carbonated) water, and it has been decades since I studied latin in HS, "aqua sin gas" sounds like still water, or water "without" gas, water with gas would be "aqua cum gas",,,, While gas does not sound like an actual latin word.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »

I wondered that Scott because when I lived in CA, I don't remember them saying cod fish.
I say fizzy water - always did in the UK but no-one here knows what I mean. They say soda here in NC and CA but I understand its pop in the mid west.

BTW……how does a thread go from testing grounds regularly to food and drink references???
It is one of the reasons I love this forum…..

Sorry Jonathan for the thread hijack…...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Lyle Williams

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »

I'll skip the Portable Appliance Testing part as I'm not aware of anything like that in the US.
Now as to the GFCI "trip button" testing,  this test has nothing to do with the EGC Safety Ground circuit.  It only looks at the current in the Hot and Neutral conductors.

The test button shorts active to earth through a resistor.  If there is no earth, there should be no active neutral imbalance and hence no trip.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 10:53:21 AM »

It's quite a good idea.  Despite not being obliged legally, most companies will not allow any electrical equipment brought onto their premises to be used without a test.

This goes equally for equipment bought or hired for company use or something such as the power supply for a laptop a visitor might bring.

The test is quick and does not need to be done by a qualified electrician... and you get a little green sticker with a date on which says it's due for a retest in a year's time so you don't need to have it done for every visit.

The machine does all the work.  You just plug it in and press go!

BTW……how does a thread go from testing grounds regularly to food and drink references???

In this case, I have no idea.  However, I am often guilty of sending forum threads off on tangents.  Speaking of tangents...

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:56:56 AM by Steve M Smith »

Kevin Graf

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »

The test button shorts active to earth through a resistor.  If there is no earth, there should be no active neutral imbalance and hence no trip.
No, what is does is bypass the GFCI sensor circuit. Safety Ground EGC/PE has nothing to do with the test.  GFCI receptacle's are often used with older 2 wire circuits (it allows the use of 3 wire plugs) and even with no ground/earth connection the GFCI works.

The only question the GFCI asks is:
Are the Hot & Neutral currents identical and opposite in phase (±5mA).  The unit does not ask 'why is there a current difference?'.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:26:42 PM by Kevin Graf »
Speedskater

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »

Regarding fizzy (carbonated) water, and it has been decades since I studied latin in HS, "aqua sin gas" sounds like still water, or water "without" gas, water with gas would be "aqua cum gas",,,, While gas does not sound like an actual latin word.

When you order plan bottled water in Russia, you must specifically request "voda biz gaza" (water without gas) else you will get carbonated water. Apparently they prefer the gassy stuff there.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »

No, what is does is bypass the GFCI sensor circuit. Safety Ground EGC/PE has nothing to do with the test.  GFCI receptacle's are often used with older 2 wire circuits (it allows the use of 3 wire plugs) and even with no ground/earth connection the GFCI works.

The only question the GFCI asks is:
Are the Hot & Neutral currents identical and opposite in phase (±5mA).  The unit does not ask 'why is there a current difference?'.

Yes, that turns out to be correct.  I have an old RCD where the test button is active-to-earth, but does seem that all my contemporary ones test without going to earth. 

My external (plug in) RCD tester works by shunting active to earth.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.