ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown XLS1000 - Could they have made this any more difficult?!!  (Read 2433 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Crown XLS1000 - Could they have made this any more difficult?!!
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:49:22 AM »

I have a Crown XLS1000 here which belongs to a friend.  He has asked me to modify it from 120 volts to 240 volts operation.
 He gave me a printout of an e-mail from Crown servive which says 'just remove jumper Z901 and the amp will power up from 240v'.

Easy, I thought.  Thinking it would just be a push on jumper between two pins like you get on computer motherboards.

Eventually I find it and it's a soldered in wire link... and it's underneath the power switch... and I have to take the whole PCB out of the case to desolder it as I can't get wire cutters to it from above.

Thanks Crown!!

Steve.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
Re: Crown XLS1000 - Could they have made this any more difficult?!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:17:39 AM »

I have a Crown XLS1000 here which belongs to a friend.  He has asked me to modify it from 120 volts to 240 volts operation.
 He gave me a printout of an e-mail from Crown servive which says 'just remove jumper Z901 and the amp will power up from 240v'.

Easy, I thought.  Thinking it would just be a push on jumper between two pins like you get on computer motherboards.

Eventually I find it and it's a soldered in wire link... and it's underneath the power switch... and I have to take the whole PCB out of the case to desolder it as I can't get wire cutters to it from above.

Thanks Crown!!

Steve.
The little PC style push on jumpers would be entirely inadequate in this situation. The link wire converts the power supply from bridge to voltage doubler and carrys mucho juice. I suspect they put it in an inaccessable place for good reason - getting it wrong can be catastrophic.
M

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:29:57 AM »

Yes.  I appreciate why it's that size now.  Before I opened it up, I didn't know that it was part of the rectifier/doubler circuit.

They could have moved it back about 1/2" so it was accessible with the on/off switch extension piece removed though!

EDIT:  I have just found an older post where you advised on the same modification.  In that one the mod was from 120v to 220v and required a resistor change.  Would I be correct to assume that as I want to double the voltage to 240v, I can keep the same resistors?  The notification from Crown just said to remove the link.

EDIT AGAIN:  I think I should fit the resistors across the capacitors to balance the voltage now they will be in doubler mode.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:42:14 AM by Steve M Smith »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:29:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.