ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Solution for Audio from Devices  (Read 8875 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: Best Solution for Audio from Devices
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »

I wasn't aware that the OP had posted the model of console they are dealing with...

Either way, you have ruled the 3.5mm to XLR cable to be an absolute danger, and I submit that it is not unless used improperly.
I agree that it is dangerous solution to have around.  I have lost a phone to one of these cables and an "oops!"  Regardless of how careful you are phantom can be turned on.  Also given that this is an educational facility and the OP had to ask about a solution for this leads me to think that an "oops!" is even more likely.  BTW My go-to device for the application is a also the TDIBLOX.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »

I agree that it is dangerous solution to have around.  I have lost a phone to one of these cables and an "oops!"  Regardless of how careful you are phantom can be turned on.
I had a local stage hand on a Broadway load-in that killed the touring A2s brand new iPad by plugging the 1/8" mini to male-XLR connector into the wrong output. 48v and a puff of smoke killed it dead.

Luckily, the A2 had just bought the iPad the week before and the Apple store swapped it out no questions asked.

But, it did give me a good excuse to have that particular stage hand thrown off the call. He was our local "that guy" and a moron of the highest quality, so it didn't cause me any grief to tell him to leave.

At the same time, I will say that I have a bunch of these cables in my building. I keep the phantom power turned off by default on our consoles. And, luckily, most of our "audio techs" are not smart enough to figure out how to turn on the phantom power on the consoles...as evidenced by the fact that they always call me to show them how to do it (yes, even journeyman IA stage hands).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:44:00 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 01:53:41 AM »

I have a couple of Whirwind podDI that I carry for this situation; they also sum stereo inputs to mono. I also typically carry two to four Rapco/Horizon IsoBlox 1:1 in-line isolation devices. I recall somebody (whose name I forgot) refered to 1:1 iso units as "audio condoms", to be used for all interfaces with devices brought by strangers. Maybe it's just me, but that was an image that stuck in my mind. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 02:01:45 AM »

...I recall somebody (whose name I forgot) refered to 1:1 iso units as "audio condoms", to be used for all interfaces with devices brought by strangers. Maybe it's just me, but that was an image that stuck in my mind. Mark C.

Yep, that image will stick with me too. Just awesome.
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:52 AM »

At the same time, I will say that I have a bunch of these cables in my building. I keep the phantom power turned off by default on our consoles
Wire it up with 10K summing resistors and capacitors to block the 48v dc and the phantom power will not be an issue.

EDIT: Perhaps something like this:

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:22:07 AM by Steve M Smith »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »

A mini to XLR patch cable can be implemented very safely even on a phantom powered input by simply not connecting Pin one to to the mini plug side of the adaptor.  Connect the XLR pin twos ( assuming a stereo application ) to the tip and ring and both of the pin threes to the sleeve / shield of the mini plug cable.  This puts the output of the device to the balanced input of the mixer & still provides a continuous shield up to the adaptor but since the 48 VDC is a potential between the signal conductors and the shield no DC potential is present at the device.  Well that is unless and until you press the metal case of the device against any exposed metal on the chassis of the mixer so avoid that.  As long as the handheld device is delivering something close to its normal -10 dbv output there should be no need for substantial gain at the mic preamp and noise performance should be fairly good.  None of that is a suggestion for the OP to base his standard operating procedure around for working with the presenter dujour, simply a suggestion on how this can be accomplished safely when the need arises.

I agree that it is dangerous solution to have around.  I have lost a phone to one of these cables and an "oops!"  Regardless of how careful you are phantom can be turned on.  Also given that this is an educational facility and the OP had to ask about a solution for this leads me to think that an "oops!" is even more likely.  BTW My go-to device for the application is a also the TDIBLOX.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »

It was a general statement, OP never revealed what mixer he's using, though global phantom power is common among budget mixers.

We're in the big boy forum.... presumably the users are smart enough to not damage their personal playback devices, are wise in the ways of +48v and in general have their shit together a little better.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »

We're in the big boy forum.... presumably the users are smart enough to not damage their personal playback devices, are wise in the ways of +48v and in general have their shit together a little better.

That thought was running through my mind the whole time I was replying to Mr. Le about this yesterday... lol.

[On the other hand, you get anecdotes like the one Justice shared, and any idiot with two brain cells can still frick things up! :)]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »

I have on hand multiple HOSA HD 3.5-XLRM stereo adapters. Never an issue with laptops, but phones are another issue.

If the program is truly important, it doesn't belong on a device that gets subject to such a broad swath of negative handling and environmental potentials.

Anyone hanging anything more than walk-in on a phone identifies themselves as a non-professional. I had someone wanting me to run sound cues off an iphone with a smashed face. Really?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »

Anyone hanging anything more than walk-in on a phone identifies themselves as a non-professional. I had someone wanting me to run sound cues off an iphone with a smashed face. Really?

I would rather run playback from a phone than have to stream the damn video from YouToobe. (Which I have had to do several times).  ???
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.