ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Solution for Audio from Devices  (Read 6143 times)

Andrew Hamer

Re: Best Solution for Audio from Devices
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 04:30:51 pm »

Gosh, thanks y'all!
That was exactly what I was looking for!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 05:16:21 pm »

Throw away the minijack to male XLR cable immediately! As Robert mentioned, if +48v is applied to the mic input, Poof! goes your device headphone output. You can go either a stereo DI solution if the distance is long or RCA to stereo minijack if the device is next to the mixer. For laptops, nothing beats a Peavey USB-P.

A pin 1 lift solves the 'poof' problem.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 05:27:44 pm »

Throw away the minijack to male XLR cable immediately! As Robert mentioned, if +48v is applied to the mic input, Poof! goes your device headphone output. You can go either a stereo DI solution if the distance is long or RCA to stereo minijack if the device is next to the mixer. For laptops, nothing beats a Peavey USB-P.

Hopefully there's a professional at the board that will not inadvertently turn on phantom power to a channel that doesn't need it. I generally do not turn on phantom power unless I need it...

From the OP, it sounds like the presenters are on stage, and the board is elsewhere, so it's going to have to run into their snake. It would be good to manage this connection (iPad to sound system) carefully, to avoid pops as its plugged in and unplugged! (A device like the Radial Hot Shot might help your tech to be able to do this change out unassisted/not having to run back to the board.)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 05:28:07 pm »

A pin 1 lift solves the 'poof' problem.

What are the odds that there would be issues when the chassis of your "device" touches the chassis of the mixer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »

What are the odds that there would be issues when the chassis of your "device" touches the chassis of the mixer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never a problem with my iPod. 
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Thomas Le

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:44 pm »

Hopefully there's a professional at the board that will not inadvertently turn on phantom power to a channel that doesn't need it. I generally do not turn on phantom power unless I need it...

From the OP, it sounds like the presenters are on stage, and the board is elsewhere, so it's going to have to run into their snake. It would be good to manage this connection (iPad to sound system) carefully, to avoid pops as its plugged in and unplugged! (A device like the Radial Hot Shot might help your tech to be able to do this change out unassisted/not having to run back to the board.)

-Ray

What if the board is a small format and they're running a condenser mic? Besides, you never know as the ever tempting red button is within easy reach to be accidentally pushed...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 05:39:43 pm »

What if the board is a small format and they're running a condenser mic? Besides, you never know as the ever tempting red button is within easy reach to be accidentally pushed...

I wasn't aware that the OP had posted the model of console they are dealing with...

Either way, you have ruled the 3.5mm to XLR cable to be an absolute danger, and I submit that it is not unless used improperly.
Kelcema Audio

Thomas Le

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »

I wasn't aware that the OP had posted the model of console they are dealing with...

Either way, you have ruled the 3.5mm to XLR cable to be an absolute danger, and I submit that it is not unless used improperly.

It was a general statement, OP never revealed what mixer he's using, though global phantom power is common among budget mixers.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 05:53:40 pm »

It was a general statement, OP never revealed what mixer he's using, though global phantom power is common among budget mixers.
Thomas-

In an education institution large enough to have stage managers, I am confident they're using something more then a Mackie 1402VLZ4 or whatever. And since they've been using the 3.5mm to XLR cable in the past, and presumably have NOT been blowing up their presenter's myPods, I think it is safe to conclude that they have not been using global phantom power.

I just don't want to see the topic confused by conclusions that aren't supported by the available facts. The 3.5mm to XLR cable can be used OK, as long as it is done properly, and given that we're in the Classic LAB anyways, I am going to assume that the OP knows how to use that cable OK. So having that cable available as a backup/emergency use is OK, and it doesn't need to be thrown away.

I stand by my original post and suggest the acquisition of a Radial ProAV1 DI box (less then $150) for proper connection of devices into their system. Something to mute the signal is optional but I would strongly recommend it as well.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Art Hays

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 07:34:43 pm »

I use the ART AV Direct for this.  It's $55 and converts the unbalanced stereo out from the ipod to mono balanced XLR for the mixer.  Has 1/8, 1/4, line level, speaker level inputs.  Also has filter, ground lift, and a pad pot.

I use it for other unbalanced stereo out's too like the DB-90 metronome.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 07:34:43 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.