ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Solution for Audio from Devices  (Read 6142 times)

Andrew Hamer

Best Solution for Audio from Devices
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:28:28 pm »

Hi,

I work in an educational setting and my stage managers are looking for a way to get audio from visiting presenters' devices such as iPads/iPhones (most common) but I would like to have a solution in place for Android devices as well.

They tried an 1/8" cable to XLR straight into the board, but there's some static when the cable gets jostled. I haven't gotten a read yet as to whether this is a bad cable, or if the iOS devices need that "deeper" three-ring 1/8" connection that Apple makes on their headphones.

But I started thinking, before we go buying Apple-specific cable/adapters - maybe there's a more elegant solution?
Are there any Bluetooth receivers that would work nicely for this application? The booth where it would be is on the side of the stage, so well within Bluetooth range.
Thank you for your advice/input.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Best Solution for Audio from Devices
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:30:51 pm »

Hi,

I work in an educational setting and my stage managers are looking for a way to get audio from visiting presenters' devices such as iPads/iPhones (most common) but I would like to have a solution in place for Android devices as well.

They tried an 1/8" cable to XLR straight into the board, but there's some static when the cable gets jostled. I haven't gotten a read yet as to whether this is a bad cable, or if the iOS devices need that "deeper" three-ring 1/8" connection that Apple makes on their headphones.

But I started thinking, before we go buying Apple-specific cable/adapters - maybe there's a more elegant solution?
Are there any Bluetooth receivers that would work nicely for this application? The booth where it would be is on the side of the stage, so well within Bluetooth range.
Thank you for your advice/input.
Hi there,

Welcome to the board! Per the Rules of Participation, though, please jump back into your profile and update your Display Name to reflect your real, full name. Unfortunately, we are not permitted to assist you until this is done!

Thanks,

Ray Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Andrew Hamer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:54 pm »

Hi there,

Welcome to the board! Per the Rules of Participation, though, please jump back into your profile and update your Display Name to reflect your real, full name. Unfortunately, we are not permitted to assist you until this is done!

Thanks,

Ray Aberle

All set.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:23 pm »

All set.
Perfect! The moderators are quick on locking threads for non-compliance. :)

The three-ring cable for Apple iOs devices is sending an extra signal for control/volume/something, so that isn't needed for just running into a PA system.

The static sure sounds like it might be a bad cable. Usually one would use a DI box to patch laptop/iPod/iWhatever into the system-- mini plug to dual RCA, and then into something like a Radial ProAV1/ProAV2 (sums to mono or kept stereo; mono is going to be OK for your needs). So, having that plus the iPod cable at your podium, and then XLR from there to your board.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:16 pm »

If you only deal with one or two devices then bluetooth could be an option.

But the hassle to pair bluetooth units back and forth may not work well.

While 1/8" to xlr works I'd still advice you to get a di made for the purpose to connect cd-players, computers, etc to your mixer. It will also protect your devices from being harmed by the phantom power.

Laptops seems to be noise generators when they run on mains power without a di.

Riley Casey

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »

Any cable with a mini plug should be treated as a semi-expendable sort of midway between gaff tape and mic cables.  You need at least one spare and better yet two particularly when in the hands of end users as they would be with handheld devices.  Good quality AV specific DIs are the best, lowest common denominator solutions as the output level is higher and impedance  is lower on a  mobile phone than the guitars that ordinary DIs are designed for.  Also as handheld devices are normally battery powered do not use the ground lift / pin one open switches that these boxes often incorporate. 

Stick with the one size fits all solution if you are working with the public.  Not every user who steps up to the lectern has any idea how to implement bluetooth transmission of audio and worse yet even if you were to set it up for them during a rehearsal can you count on their not having reverted to the internal speaker by showtime?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:29:03 pm by Riley Casey »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:42:01 pm »

Any cable with a mini plug should be treated as a semi-expendable sort of midway between gaff tape and mic cables.  You need at least one spare and better yet two particularly when in the hands of end users as they would be with handheld devices.  Good quality AV specific DIs are the best, lowest common denominator solutions as the output level is higher and impedance  is lower on a  mobile phone than the guitars that ordinary DIs are designed for.  Also as handheld devices are normally battery powered do not use the ground lift / pin one open switches that these boxes often incorporate. 

Stick with the one size fits all solution if you are working with the public.  Not every user who steps up to the lectern has any idea how to implement bluetooth transmission of audio and worse yet even if you were to set it up for them during a rehearsal can you count on their not having reverted to the internal speaker by showtime?

This has always worked for me

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-377-ltiblox.aspx
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »

And if you can find something with a right-angle jack for the iDevice it's a bit less susceptible to "jack-crackle" from the cable torquing on the output connection.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Thomas Le

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:30:52 pm »

Throw away the minijack to male XLR cable immediately! As Robert mentioned, if +48v is applied to the mic input, Poof! goes your device headphone output. You can go either a stereo DI solution if the distance is long or RCA to stereo minijack if the device is next to the mixer. For laptops, nothing beats a Peavey USB-P.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:39:26 pm »

I use either a Radial PCDI or, less money, a Radial SB-5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:39:26 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.