ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget moving heads - Chauvet vs. Martin vs. other  (Read 11471 times)

Dave Horo

Budget moving heads - Chauvet vs. Martin vs. other
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »

I'm looking for some budget moving heads to use for mid-sized DJ and live music events as effect lights.  The primary use will be stand-alone (no controller) running pre-programmed or sync'd to audio.  They need to be LED for power efficiency reasons.  The front-runner in terms of price/performance/features seems to be the Chauvet Intimidator Spot 355Z.  The Martin Rush MH1 and MH5 fixtures look interesting, but are they worth twice the price?  I know they're Martin, but it sounds like the features and build quality are on-par with Chauvet.

Any input? 

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
 - Dave

Mike Mottsey

• aikenproaudio
Re: Budget moving heads - Chauvet vs. Martin vs. other
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »

I'm looking for some budget moving heads to use for mid-sized DJ and live music events as effect lights.  The primary use will be stand-alone (no controller) running pre-programmed or sync'd to audio.  They need to be LED for power efficiency reasons.  The front-runner in terms of price/performance/features seems to be the Chauvet Intimidator Spot 355Z.  The Martin Rush MH1 and MH5 fixtures look interesting, but are they worth twice the price?  I know they're Martin, but it sounds like the features and build quality are on-par with Chauvet.

Any input? 

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
 - Dave

Blizzard lighting has some good quality movers

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:07:08 AM »

American DJ. Best value for the $$$, and wide range of choices.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dave Horo

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »

American DJ. Best value for the $$$, and wide range of choices.

What about quality?  I've had hit-and-miss experience with ADJ in the past.  Have they improved?
 - Dave

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »

What about quality?  I've had hit-and-miss experience with ADJ in the past.  Have they improved?
 - Dave

I've not had quality issues recently.... Just got some led wash fixtures.  Adj isn't the kind of company that is going to start overnighting products when they make a mistake.  They don't particularly understand the immediacy of service sometimes required in our industry.  For that matter Chauvet is marginally better on the service front but not much. 

A lot of these budget fixtures from budget manufacturers are quite good, they are sold cheaply because the company spends far less in stocking replacement parts, having service personnel, and other overhead.

That said I am quite happy with the Chauvet moving heads I have - for what they are - they work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »

Experience has shown me in ADJ vs Chauvet, the slight price bump for going to ADJ is well worth it on something you expect more than the warranty period out of.

ADJ is much better with support after the sale so far as parts. With Chauvet it seems to have been a case of once the last of something is out of warranty the parts are non existant. Buy something new from us has been the attitude almost every time when asking to source for anything over 2 years old.

As for spending double on Martin you likely don't need to play at that level if its for something used only by yourself without a controller. Most of the plug and play settings on their stuff come nowhere near using the fixture to its full potential and are more useful for client demo or repair bench self test procedures.

Also have a gander at the Highend Solaspot if price is no issue.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Dave Horo

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »

Experience has shown me in ADJ vs Chauvet, the slight price bump for going to ADJ is well worth it on something you expect more than the warranty period out of.

ADJ is much better with support after the sale so far as parts. With Chauvet it seems to have been a case of once the last of something is out of warranty the parts are non existant. Buy something new from us has been the attitude almost every time when asking to source for anything over 2 years old.

As for spending double on Martin you likely don't need to play at that level if its for something used only by yourself without a controller. Most of the plug and play settings on their stuff come nowhere near using the fixture to its full potential and are more useful for client demo or repair bench self test procedures.

Also have a gander at the Highend Solaspot if price is no issue.

It's funny that you phrased it that way.  I was actually thinking ADJ was a bump down fro Chauvet.  Maybe I'm confused and need to look at the numbers again.

In any case, let's say I don't want to go with the automated internal programs, which seem to be lacking on all of these fixtures.  What's my best bet to set up a few programs and allow them to run with minimal operator intervention?  I need to allow for some flexibility to change between programs and chase speeds, but certainly won't need the capabilities of a full console on-site.
 - Dave

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »

Most of my clients are "bottom feeders", in that they rarely want to spend large $$ for the best quality. I don't sell gear, so I typically give them suggestions on what they should purchase, based on my experiences and their perceived needs. I have had much better experiences with ADJ over Chauvet, in both product and service. Sadly, ALL service depts have gone downhill over the past 5-7 years, and nobody makes a fixture that is bulletproof. As Richard said, ADJ seems to keep parts avaiable for a decent time after fixtures are out of warranty or discontinued. Unless you are a DIYer this may not matter very much.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »

Chauvet DJ, or Chauvet Pro?  We rarely use the DJ products, but use a lot of the Pro.  After the initial DOA pieces are swapped, they seem to work well.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 05:45:24 AM »

Ive had very good luck with the Blizzard Flurry Qs and the ADJ Inno Spot, although not on sound activation, I have them programmed with a SD1 controller. The Qs are a little quirky. If If I'd do it again, instead of mixing brands, to simplify Id get 4 Qs, put on the back truss, and sync them up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 05:45:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.