ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft MADI / USB card  (Read 43876 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Soundcraft MADI / USB card
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »

I realize that products often update their manuals and it would be cheaper to just provide electronic downloads, but I miss the days of a version 1.0 owners manual that I could carry with me and read as I had time.  Printing it is a pain.... I would like hardcopy to study!

I'd rather just have the PDF on my phone, iPad and laptop.... No clumsy, heavy paper to carry around; I've always got at least one of those devices with me, sometimes all three. Paper is way overrated.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »

The point is that the card came in a plain brown box, in a static bag, and nothing else. I would no doubt download the latest info and drivers from the mfg. site regardless, but not even a note with a web address? That's a little extreme.

As for paper manuals there's always a reason to have one. I keep a notebook with critical manuals with my hardware at all times, and in these manuals are book marked pages for the information that may be needed in a crisis. I don't know of anyone who can or should try to remember everything these is to know about a specific piece of hardware, especially complex DSPs, sound modules, wireless hardware, and digital boards. And, I can find the info I need faster than finding info located on page 299 of a 700 page pdf.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »

Agree.  New products should ship with the manual.  When it arrives, I want to open it and read what I need to do to use it.  I then download them and keep all my manuals in the ipad.  I do mark the pages as well. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:35 PM »

I had a bit of free time today and installed the MADI/USB combo card. Installation was straight forward and the output to the DAW worked flawlessly. I don't have a super fast PC that I run Cubase on so I didn't expect much using the USB port drivers vs. using my firewire card. I was wrong in my assumption and am pleased to see latency down to less than 4ms recording 16 tracks with plenty of effects.

I also changed the routing so that channels 1-32 are the direct outputs for the USB, and 33-64 are the outputs for the stage box or MADI device. This may change again once I fully grasp what the combinations are capable of, but for now it's working. Next I'll route the stereo return from the DAW to the headphone amp and studio monitors. In the end though this looks like a great product for $299, and another home run by Soundcraft.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »

I also changed the routing so that channels 1-32 are the direct outputs for the USB, and 33-64 are the outputs for the stage box or MADI device. This may change again once I fully grasp what the combinations are capable of, but for now it's working. Next I'll route the stereo return from the DAW to the headphone amp and studio monitors. In the end though this looks like a great product for $299, and another home run by Soundcraft.
Bob,

Just curious why you changed the default routing?

BTW: I agree that Soundcraft hit a homerun with this card.

Michael
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »

Bob,

Michael

I am curious, as I am sure are many lurkers, I mixed a show on the Soundcraft two weeks ago.  The UI was easy and it was a walkup gig but hands down my X32 has a better UI, better app, much better effects solution.

I too struggled long and hard about investing in Behringer consoles.  Can't buy them as fast as I can rent them.

I sometimes wonder if there isn't any "anything but Behringer" bias going on. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »

Bob,

Michael

I am curious, as I am sure are many lurkers, I mixed a show on the Soundcraft two weeks ago.  The UI was easy and it was a walkup gig but hands down my X32 has a better UI, better app, much better effects solution.

I too struggled long and hard about investing in Behringer consoles.  Can't buy them as fast as I can rent them.

I am sure the Behringer MADI interface has the same routing options as the Dante so it is relevant to the interface you are discussing also. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

That's one of the main reasons I did not purchase the X32. I thought it had more features for the price, but have had bad experiences with B in the past.  I like the workflow better on the Soundcraft and have never had a failure with their gear (knock on wood). Everyone has their opinion and you know what opinions are like 😊
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »

I am sure the Behringer MADI interface has the same routing options as the Dante so it is relevant to the interface you are discussing also. 

I'm glad you're happy with your X32's Scott. I'm still in the play stage with the expansion card so I'll be re-assigning channel count and selections until I find the configuration that's best for me. And, there's no need to wonder if there is Behringer prejudice among users of this site. I won't touch Behringer hardware with a stick of any length, and one successful product does not a company make. As for the Soundcraft UI and Expression's capabilities you seem to have based your opinion of something less than complete knowledge of the product. Regardless, you like Behringer and I like Soundcraft and to each his own. However, once Behringer has proven themselves by manufacturing quality consoles for almost 50 years I may change my mind.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Jansen Lee

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »

I have an Si Ex 3 and X32 Compact...

The Si for medium sized musicals wins hands down in ease of setup and running, though it might be a little less intuitive at first.  I can easily customize the layers to my liking which I can't do on the X32.  The hardware ecosystem is more costly but I sometimes need the high channel count (48-60 channels).  Sound quality is superb for my use, but more variety of effects/processing would be nice to experiment with.  If I had a wish, the Si Performer feature set (with the exception of the DMX controller, would be a home run at the $4-4.5K range.

The X32 has an unparalleled feature set for the price, and the user base is so large that new uses are popping up daily, witness the X32 Rack's dual function as controller or digital snake.  The S16 is cheap enough to purchase and then expand on with another.  Sound quality is very good to my ears, and though I prefer the Si sound, I wouldn't refuse the X32, and it's workflow is easy enough to learn fairly quickly.

I bought each for a specific type of gig and they both serve me well.  I would suggest either renting or ride along with people you know with those consoles, to learn if the workflow is to your liking.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 25 queries.