ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beam Moving Heads  (Read 4462 times)

Johnny Diaz

Beam Moving Heads
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »

Looking to get more into lighting.  Currently just doing led up lighting with some chauvet into spot 350's.  I would like to get into the beam lights and start doing bigger light shows.  What types of beam lights would you recommend in the 2-3k per fixture range?  I would probably start out with 8-12 and eventually buy more totaling about 30 fixtures.

John Cardo

Re: Beam Moving Heads
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »

You can pick up a Used Clay Paky Sharpy for about $3,495.00, Often regarded as one of the best beam fixtures out there.......until the pointe came out that is but thats well above your price range

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »

You can pick up a Used Clay Paky Sharpy for about $3,495.00, Often regarded as one of the best beam fixtures out there.......until the pointe came out that is but thats well above your price range

One of my concerns about buying used is life expectancy left.  I heard about Clay Paky Sharpy.  What is so special about them that they are selling for  that much money used?

John Cardo

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:44:31 PM »

One of my concerns about buying used is life expectancy left.  I heard about Clay Paky Sharpy.  What is so special about them that they are selling for  that much money used?

They're supper fast, have better optics then for example a Elation Platinum 5R beam, not very heavy only 41 Pounds , Pretty easy to repair, The color wheel great i have yet to see a green as beautiful as a clay paky green and its Italian.

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »

They're supper fast, have better optics then for example a Elation Platinum 5R beam, not very heavy only 41 Pounds , Pretty easy to repair, The color wheel great i have yet to see a green as beautiful as a clay paky green and its Italian.

I will look into the sharpys.  Can they be hung vertically and horizontally?

Any other make/model you would recommend which is comparable?

John Cardo

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:04:34 PM »

I will look into the sharpys.  Can they be hung vertically and horizontally?

Any other make/model you would recommend which is comparable?

They can be hung in any orientation even sideways. As for another kind of beam light, the first thing that comes to mind is the Elation Platinum spot 5R they both use the same lamp, I personally try not to get close to elation fixtures because i feel the build quality is not as nice as compared to the sharpy, Any particular reason you need a lamp based beam light or would an LED beam light work?

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »

They can be hung in any orientation even sideways. As for another kind of beam light, the first thing that comes to mind is the Elation Platinum spot 5R they both use the same lamp, I personally try not to get close to elation fixtures because i feel the build quality is not as nice as compared to the sharpy, Any particular reason you need a lamp based beam light or would an LED beam light work?

I have no preference.  Which is brighter and better quality?  My understanding is that the lamp will have a shorter life span than the led.  Am I correct in my thinking?

John Cardo

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »

I have no preference.  Which is brighter and better quality?  My understanding is that the lamp will have a shorter life span than the led.  Am I correct in my thinking?

The Lamp will definitely have a shorter lift span and 5R lamps are about $200 each. As for whats brighter that's a tricky question that i couldn't exactly answer. If your looking for just a tight beam of light i would recommend the Robe Robin 100's they cost about $2,300.00 new and used you can get them for $1,500.00.

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »

The Lamp will definitely have a shorter lift span and 5R lamps are about $200 each. As for whats brighter that's a tricky question that i couldn't exactly answer. If your looking for just a tight beam of light i would recommend the Robe Robin 100's they cost about $2,300.00 new and used you can get them for $1,500.00.

Never heard of Robe Robin.  I'll check them out.  The light game is crazy:)

How are the Vari-Lite beams?

John Cardo

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »

Never heard of Robe Robin.  I'll check them out.  The light game is crazy:)

How are the Vari-Lite beams?

The Robe stuff is usually much more popular in Europe i don't see it out here often, as for Vari*Lite they don't make any dedicated beam fixtures but you could get a Vl3k and bring the zoom down to where its like a beam, those cost about $3,995.00 used

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.