ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: New YAMAHA console announced!  (Read 52729 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: New YAMAHA console announced!
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »

There is a show and tell in LaJolla tomorrow for some prospective customers. I have asked a friend to get some answers that interest me, that is one of them, as is how stereo channels are handled and how custom fader banks work. We'll see.

Mac
Any news?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2015, 05:46:34 PM »

Any news?

Not yet, I may go out to PRG tomorrow, and I'll talk to him then.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »

There is a show and tell in LaJolla tomorrow for some prospective customers. I have asked a friend to get some answers that interest me, that is one of them, as is how stereo channels are handled and how custom fader banks work. We'll see.

Mac

I haven't heard back with any further info from LaJolla, but here are a few questions for Mark Lopez, or anyone else with the info at Yamaha.

1 - I assume the 144 channel mix limit is based on the available number of input control strips (36x4=144), what happens with stereo channels, or even bigger multi stream channels like LCR or 5.1?

2 - How are custom fader layers implemented? In the CL series it is only sort of successful, once you have created a CFL the Centralogic section no longer makes sense as it only can call up the default 1-8 9-16 etc channels. Custom fader layers that are actually reflected on the screens are important.

3 - Does the Overlay allow trim of any other functions beside fader level? Eq and maybe even dynamics would be a great thing to have access to.

4 - Since none of the online photos have enough resolution to really see, what do the various button to the right of each fader bay do? How many fader layers can there be? Will the future system expansion with a second DSP rack require and additional control surface, or will it allow access to more channels on a single surface?

5 - I don't see any mention of the Dugan automatic mixer in the PM10. Is it likely to be available?

6 - Is there any chance of an east coast preview? I know that all 4 of the shops that had representatives in LaJolla would like to expose their clients who will drive the purchase of consoles to the PM10, and I'm sure any of them would be willing and able to host such an event. Will the console be shown at the AES convention on Oct?

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »

Adding to this list...

Will there be timed automation (timed parameter changes, not just scene changes or channel level fades)?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Marc Lopez

• Yamaha Commercial Audio
    • Yamaha Commercial Audio Systems
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2015, 05:33:20 PM »

Hi Mac,

I know there are many questions about Rivage PM10. Thanks for posting these!

1 - I assume the 144 channel mix limit is based on the available number of input control strips (36x4=144), what happens with stereo channels, or even bigger multi stream channels like LCR or 5.1?
The 144 input channels are based on the DSP engine.  All 144 channels are full-featured (i.e. HPF/LPF, choice of EQ -Precise, Smooth, Aggressive, Legacy, 2 independent Dynamics - new VCM Comp260, Legacy Comp, De-Esser, Ducker, Expander, 2 independent Insert points, Delay, Assignable Direct Out, Sends to MIX1-72, Sends to MATRIX 1-36, Assignment to ST A and ST B).  If you have a Stereo channel, it counts as 2 of those 144 channels as with previous Yamaha consoles, although pairing can be done with any adjacent channel - no Odd/Even rule like PM1D and PM5D.  In the initial release, we won't have a mechanism for handling multi-channel input sources, but you can imagine that multi-channel sources will deduct from the 144 as Stereo channels do.  In a future software upgrade, the two engines can be cascaded for a total of 288 input channels.

2 - How are custom fader layers implemented? In the CL series it is only sort of successful, once you have created a CFL the Centralogic section no longer makes sense as it only can call up the default 1-8 9-16 etc channels. Custom fader layers that are actually reflected on the screens are important.
The Rivage PM10 surface is organized into three bays - Left, Center, Right.  Each bay is the same with exception of the Right bay, which instead of a Touchscreen and the 12 related encoders, has the Selected Channel Section - although an external display can be used for that bay.  Each bay has a complete set of independent layer controls - Inputs (1-144), Outputs (Mix 1-72, Matrix 1-36, ST A/B), DCAs (1-24), and 12 Custom Fader Layer banks.  Similar to CL, any type of channel can be assigned to a Custom Fader Layer (i.e. Inputs, Outputs, and DCAs can all be adjacent to each other), and there are some shortcut conveniences added to make this process quick.  Because of the screens above the bays, it's easy to get quick indication of the type of channel and the available parameters for each of the channels on that Custom Fader Layer.  With the external display, the Right bay also gains this visual indication.

3 - Does the Overlay allow trim of any other functions beside fader level? Eq and maybe even dynamics would be a great thing to have access to.
For the initial releases, the new Overlay function will address Fader Level and Mix Send Levels.  There are more items planned for the future, so your point is well understood.

4 - Since none of the online photos have enough resolution to really see, what do the various button to the right of each fader bay do? How many fader layers can there be? Will the future system expansion with a second DSP rack require and additional control surface, or will it allow access to more channels on a single surface?
The button to the right of each fader bay are the Layer Selection buttons.  There are six Layer selection buttons (A-F) with displays and four category sections with 7 buttons - Input (1-72, 73-144), Output (Mix, Matrix), DCA, Custom (1, 2).  Using a combination of these buttons, you'll have access to all possible channels within a bay.  We assume that the 12 available Custom layers will be where most engineers "live", but the Input and Output layers will always be there just in case.  There's also a "Home" button located at the bottom of these keys which acts as a user-assignable bookmark for the display and layer (independent for each bay).

Future system expansion will allow a second engine to be used in Cascade Mode for a doubling of input channels to 288.  I don't have details to share today on how those additional inputs will be accessed.

5 - I don't see any mention of the Dugan automatic mixer in the PM10. Is it likely to be available?
We have not announced any built in Dugan Automatic Mic Mixer on PM10, but we certainly understand the requirement.  Perhaps we may have news on that in the future.  In the meantime, there are many MY-slots available in the system, so the DUGAN-MY16 card can be utilized or even an RSio64-D http://yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/product_detail.php?prodID=1166 can be filled with DUGAN-MY16 cards and addressed via Dante.

6 - Is there any chance of an east coast preview? I know that all 4 of the shops that had representatives in LaJolla would like to expose their clients who will drive the purchase of consoles to the PM10, and I'm sure any of them would be willing and able to host such an event. Will the console be shown at the AES convention on Oct?
Rivage PM10 will be making appearances in the upcoming months.  I don't have a firm schedule to announce, but it will be in Orlando next week at Infocomm.  I can make sure forum members are informed of any confirmed public appearances.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:41:01 PM by Marc Lopez »
Marc Lopez
Marketing Manager
Yamaha Commercial Audio

Marc Lopez

« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »

Adding to this list...

Will there be timed automation (timed parameter changes, not just scene changes or channel level fades)?
Hi Andy,

There is a time code automation system "Event List" planned for a future update.  I don't have any details to share about it at the moment though.
Marc Lopez
Marketing Manager
Yamaha Commercial Audio

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »

Rivage PM10 will be making appearances in the upcoming months.  I don't have a firm schedule to announce, but it will be in Orlando next week at Infocomm.  I can make sure forum members are informed of any confirmed public appearances.

Anyone going to Infocomm want to come pick me up on your way through Oklahoma?   ;D
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »

Hi Mac,

I know there are many questions about Rivage PM10. Thanks for posting these!
The 144 input channels are based on the DSP engine.  All 144 channels are full-featured (i.e. HPF/LPF, choice of EQ -Precise, Smooth, Aggressive, Legacy, 2 independent Dynamics - new VCM Comp260, Legacy Comp, De-Esser, Ducker, Expander, 2 independent Insert points, Delay, Assignable Direct Out, Sends to MIX1-72, Sends to MATRIX 1-36, Assignment to ST A and ST B).  If you have a Stereo channel, it counts as 2 of those 144 channels as with previous Yamaha consoles, although pairing can be done with any adjacent channel - no Odd/Even rule like PM1D and PM5D.  In the initial release, we won't have a mechanism for handling multi-channel input sources, but you can imagine that multi-channel sources will deduct from the 144 as Stereo channels do.  In a future software upgrade, the two engines can be cascaded for a total of 288 input channels.

Thanks for the answers Marc. Just a little more clarity. I get that stereo channels will use 2 of the available 144 inputs channels, but how will the hardware faders handled? Do you have to have use 2 faders or will there be some number of single fader stereo channels?

Mac

Marc Lopez

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »

Thanks for the answers Marc. Just a little more clarity. I get that stereo channels will use 2 of the available 144 inputs channels, but how will the hardware faders handled? Do you have to have use 2 faders or will there be some number of single fader stereo channels?

Mac
Hi Mac,

When you make a pair, only one fader is used to control the pair.

Marc
Marc Lopez
Marketing Manager
Yamaha Commercial Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.