ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacroTech i Series with EV DX46 Processor and EV XLC Line-array  (Read 3937 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
MacroTech i Series with EV DX46 Processor and EV XLC Line-array
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:47:14 PM »

All, thanks for your help.  We are currently an EAW shop that is using MacroTech i series amps.  Each rack currently contains the following:

Horns:  MacroTech 5000i
Mids:    MacroTech 5000i
Lows:   MacroTech 9000i

We currently are running an EAW UX8800 processor with an EAW KF850T system.  We run 3 speakers per side of amp which make the system run at 2.7 ohms per side of amp.

We are moving to an EV XLC127dvx system for next summer as well as keeping the EAW 850 system for ground stacking.  I would like to be able to use the MacroTech i series amps that we own for both systems and only change the processor over to the EV DX46  when running the XLC system. 

The XLC need the following power when being ran 3 per side of amp:

Horns:  900 watts   @ 2.7 ohms
Mids:    1800 watts @ 2.7 ohms
Lows:   3000 watts @ 2.7 ohms

Our only other choice would be to sell of some of the Crowns and run EV TG Series amps.  We prefer not to have to change the amps unless it is absolutely necessary.  We don't want to have to spend the money if we don't have to.

One of the main reasons we are going to the XLC system is that we have worked with and heard it several times and we can cross rent with three other sound companies with a 50 mile radius.  We will be getting a total of 18 boxes which is enough to do all of the shows we currently are doing.  This box count will also give us some room to grow.  ;)

Any help on the amp choice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
William
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: MacroTech i Series with EV DX46 Processor and EV XLC Line-array
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »

All, thanks for your help.  We are currently an EAW shop that is using MacroTech i series amps.  Each rack currently contains the following:

Horns:  MacroTech 5000i
Mids:    MacroTech 5000i
Lows:   MacroTech 9000i

We currently are running an EAW UX8800 processor with an EAW KF850T system.  We run 3 speakers per side of amp which make the system run at 2.7 ohms per side of amp.

We are moving to an EV XLC127dvx system for next summer as well as keeping the EAW 850 system for ground stacking.  I would like to be able to use the MacroTech i series amps that we own for both systems and only change the processor over to the EV DX46  when running the XLC system. 

The XLC need the following power when being ran 3 per side of amp:

Horns:  900 watts   @ 2.7 ohms
Mids:    1800 watts @ 2.7 ohms
Lows:   3000 watts @ 2.7 ohms

Our only other choice would be to sell of some of the Crowns and run EV TG Series amps.  We prefer not to have to change the amps unless it is absolutely necessary.  We don't want to have to spend the money if we don't have to.

One of the main reasons we are going to the XLC system is that we have worked with and heard it several times and we can cross rent with three other sound companies with a 50 mile radius.  We will be getting a total of 18 boxes which is enough to do all of the shows we currently are doing.  This box count will also give us some room to grow.  ;)

Any help on the amp choice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
William

What was the question?

It's a matter of how hard you hit each pass band and for how long, as to whether or not a particular amount of power is right for a given speaker system and program material.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »

Sorry for winding around so much in the previous post.  The question is will the MacroTech I series and a EV EX46 processor work well with the EV XLC line-array or do we have to go to the TG series of amps with the RCM-28 to get the correct processing?

Thanks,
William

What was the question?

schnakesound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »

Sorry for winding around so much in the previous post.  The question is will the MacroTech I series and a EV EX46 processor work well with the EV XLC line-array or do we have to go to the TG series of amps with the RCM-28 to get the correct processing?

Thanks,
William

Wish I had a better answer for you, but since all the processing is done in the EX46, I don't know why it would not be sufficient.  The RCM28 duplicates the DSP in the EX, provides additional remote monitoring and control, and integrates both AES/EBU and Dante digital audio distribution at the amplifier level.  I think what should factor into your decision is how your gear will integrate with other vendors from whom you might cross rent, or rent to.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »

I think what should factor into your decision is how your gear will integrate with other vendors from whom you might cross rent, or rent to.

That's a great point Tim.  In my case I don't need to integrate the amps from other companies since I have enough to run 24 XLC currently.  I can easily start without the TG series and then move to them down the road.  That being said I couldn't rent my racks to integrate with any other companies that would already be using the TG series.

I think I will be alright for my system(s) having the MacroTech I series do double duty.

Thanks

schnakesound.com

Tim Woodworth

• Intellasound Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 11:45:18 AM »

William,

We own TGs and have done installs with the DX46 processor. Either will work, but there are some advantages to going the TG route. Going with the TGs as your amp selection with either RCM26s or 28s as the processor in each amp you get the PEAK limiting and TEMP limiting on each separate amp channel, where as if you go with a DX-46 you are just getting PEAK and TEMP limiting on each band. So for example if you have TGs and you are hitting the Limiters...either PEAK or TEMP for the top zones of the PA, the processing will just turn down those particular channels of the amps that are limiting, where as if you have a DX-46, it would be limiting all the amps that the DX-46 is feeding in the limiting bands. Also there is the obvious advantage to being able to adjust delay/eq of any given amp channel that you wouldn't be able to do with the DX-46 option. This is very useful in sub steering. But this is an expensive option that you will ultimately have to decide if it is worth it for your company.  We LOVE our TG-7 amps, and are very happy we chose that route. If you have any other questions let me know.
Tim Woodworth
Intellasound Productions
Verona, WI

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »

William,

We own TGs and have done installs with the DX46 processor. Either will work, but there are some advantages to going the TG route. Going with the TGs as your amp selection with either RCM26s or 28s as the processor in each amp you get the PEAK limiting and TEMP limiting on each separate amp channel, where as if you go with a DX-46 you are just getting PEAK and TEMP limiting on each band.

Tim, thanks for the response.  You have given me exactly what I needed to know, which was why I should go with the TG-7 amps and the RCM 28 processors.  What I am planning to do is next year buy the DX-46 and use the MacroTech I series and then move to all TG-7 amps and the RCM 28 processors in 2016.  This way I don't break my budget in either year.  We are still holding on to the EAW rig so the MacroTech I series will go back to powering the EAW system on in 2016.

Thanks again for the response.

William

schnakesound.com

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »

I'm curious if the Macrotech I models have a low passed response like Langston Holland discovered in the iTechs years ago. Has anyone here tested them for HF rolloff?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.