ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Danley TH112 vs 2 Danley TH118 vs 2 QSC GP218's???  (Read 11026 times)

Jasen Chung .

2 Danley TH112 vs 2 Danley TH118 vs 2 QSC GP218's???
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »

I was suggested to get Danley subs by the late Tom Young (RIP) but our new consultant suggested a QSC alternative. Tom often raved about the new methods of Subwoofer output by Danley, but unfortunately Ive never had any experience with them. We had talked about 18's, but in the proposal he put TH112's - I don't know if this was a mistake or if TH112's are really that great. My goal is to get the cushioney bass (like a pillow fight with duck feather stuffed 1200 count Egyptian cotton) for a room that seats about 500.

Would love your thoughts!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: 2 Danley TH112 vs 2 Danley TH118 vs 2 QSC GP218's???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »

I was suggested to get Danley subs by the late Tom Young (RIP) but our new consultant suggested a QSC alternative. Tom often raved about the new methods of Subwoofer output by Danley, but unfortunately Ive never had any experience with them. We had talked about 18's, but in the proposal he put TH112's - I don't know if this was a mistake or if TH112's are really that great. My goal is to get the cushioney bass (like a pillow fight with duck feather stuffed 1200 count Egyptian cotton) for a room that seats about 500.

The tapped horn offers higher and deeper output than conventional front loaded cabinets.

As far as tonality (between the Danley boxes)-the TH112 is a "smoother" deeper sound and the TH118 has more punch and "for most people"-fun.

The TH112 is less expensive- and smaller.  But the TH118 can get quite a bit louder-due to the higher sensitivity and greater power capacity.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:42:14 AM »

Jasen, while QSC makes good subs, quite honestly, the TH118 is in another league.  Not only does it go louder, it is cleaner (less distortion) -- extremely musical.  You actually hear the individual bass notes.  It has the tightness of a double-15 sub and goes low like double-18, while being smaller than most double 15 subs. 

It uses a state-of-the-art single 18" monster neo driver that takes 1700 Watts continuous.

I run a small sound company and have 16 of these that I do all kinds of shows with.  We pound the living daylights out of them, and not a single failure.

You will not be disappointed with the TH118.  It is unquestionably one of the best portable subs available at any price. 

Also check out the JTR Orbit Shifter, which I consider to be in the same league as the TH118.

Good luck,
JR

They
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Jasen Chung .

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »

Thanks Everyone!

I'll definitely be looking into the TH118's. :)

Jasen, while QSC makes good subs, quite honestly, the TH118 is in another league.  Not only does it go louder, it is cleaner (less distortion) -- extremely musical.  You actually hear the individual bass notes.  It has the tightness of a double-15 sub and goes low like double-18, while being smaller than most double 15 subs. 

It uses a state-of-the-art single 18" monster neo driver that takes 1700 Watts continuous.

I run a small sound company and have 16 of these that I do all kinds of shows with.  We pound the living daylights out of them, and not a single failure.

You will not be disappointed with the TH118.  It is unquestionably one of the best portable subs available at any price. 

Also check out the JTR Orbit Shifter, which I consider to be in the same league as the TH118.

Good luck,
JR

They

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »

That is a comment that we hear quite often "Wow I can hear all the notes the bass player is playing-not just one".

The reason for the "tightness" is the fact that the driver is loaded onto a horn-which controls the excursion of the driver.  When compared to a front loaded design-the driver moves a lot less-while producing the same level of sound.

With ANY driver-the more it moves-the more distortion it has.  So less movement equals less distortion.

The horn loading also raises the impedance of the driver (sometimes twice as high) which means for the same input voltage as a front loaded system there is less power that the driver has to dissipate, which means it is going to last longer.

This can be as much as half the power of the same driver in a front loaded design.

So you have less excursion-less power-less distortion and more sound.

Horns worked centuries ago and they still work today :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jasen Chung .

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »

Well.. Danley it is.. Thanks for the enlightening insight!

Any thoughts on a single Danley DBH218 vs 2 TH118's?

That is a comment that we hear quite often "Wow I can hear all the notes the bass player is playing-not just one".

The reason for the "tightness" is the fact that the driver is loaded onto a horn-which controls the excursion of the driver.  When compared to a front loaded design-the driver moves a lot less-while producing the same level of sound.

With ANY driver-the more it moves-the more distortion it has.  So less movement equals less distortion.

The horn loading also raises the impedance of the driver (sometimes twice as high) which means for the same input voltage as a front loaded system there is less power that the driver has to dissipate, which means it is going to last longer.

This can be as much as half the power of the same driver in a front loaded design.

So you have less excursion-less power-less distortion and more sound.

Horns worked centuries ago and they still work today :)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »

Well.. Danley it is.. Thanks for the enlightening insight!

Any thoughts on a single Danley DBH218 vs 2 TH118's?
As a "general rule" 1 DBH218=2TH118.

Physical differences aside-the power required is the same (same drivers)-the DBH218 is less expensive-the DBH218 has a bit more impact/punch while the TH118 is a bit smoother on the low end.  The TH118 are easier to move around (due to the smaller size)

The 2 main things that make me choose over the other in a install design is the physical position/placement available and cost.

For portable situations-physical size may or may not be a big issue.  If you have to do steps from time to time the TH118 wins easily-or if you loading into a van or pickup.  THe DBH218 is pretty easy to move around if you are doing larger venues that don't have steps.

The TH118 is an easy 1 man "transport".  While 1 person can move a DBH218 up and down a ramp (if it is level side to side), 2 are much better.  OF course that is 2 trips with 2 TH118s so it is pretty much a wash as far as time is concerned.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »

We just did a shootout last week with two TH118's vs. two GP218's, and I can definitively say that the Danleys smoked the QSC's.  There were certain notes where the QSC's sounded louder, but this was likely due to cone distortion.  The Danleys literally shook the entire building, and you could feel it in your legs and chest. The QSC's just made a bunch of noise that sounded something like bass, but you didn't really 'feel' anything.  The client couldn't believe that a pair of 'single 18' subs beat out a pair of 'double 18' subs.  When I explained the horn loading and the efficiency he said 'well why doesn't everybody make their subs like this?'. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »

The client couldn't believe that a pair of 'single 18' subs beat out a pair of 'double 18' subs.  When I explained the horn loading and the efficiency he said 'well why doesn't everybody make their subs like this?'.
I have a friend that used to work for one of the major loudspeaker manufacturers.  I won't say which one.

They were in a meeting and he brought up the idea of horn subs and sensitivity-higher output etc

The response was "We have sold a huge amount of "accepted on every rider" subs, and if they need louder-people will just buy more.  That means more profit due to more cabinet sales".

They were not interested in making "more SPL for the dollar" subs-because it would mean less profit for them.

They were more interested in business profits than providing a better solution for the customer.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

I have a friend that used to work for one of the major loudspeaker manufacturers.  I won't say which one.

They were in a meeting and he brought up the idea of horn subs and sensitivity-higher output etc

The response was "We have sold a huge amount of "accepted on every rider" subs, and if they need louder-people will just buy more.  That means more profit due to more cabinet sales".

They were not interested in making "more SPL for the dollar" subs-because it would mean less profit for them.

They were more interested in business profits than providing a better solution for the customer.

I wonder if this manufacturer also makes amplifiers...because you can't just buy more subs without buying more amps.  The client was planning on two more QSC subs and another QSC amp before we settled on the pair of Danleys. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.