ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stray Voltage - Rossen Report  (Read 13283 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Stray Voltage - Rossen Report
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

I've sent in suggestions over the last year to the Rossen Report (an NBC news program) about testing lighting poles for stray voltage, so of course they ran this "report" today without any input from me on why this occurs or how to test for it yourself. Oh well. Here's the full video report. http://www.today.com/video/today/56416055/#56416055

Yeah, I've done this sparking trick in my own lab, but thought it was too theatrical for my NO~Shock~Zone seminars. What do you think, lower the lights and make a microphone spark with a grounded screwdriver?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Stray Voltage - Rossen Report
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »

WBAL TV in Baltimore ran a similar report a couple days ago with the same testing company/crew.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/contact-voltage-inspections-protecting-public-questioned/29640832

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »

Kind of like the way that MTV changed the music industry, TV news is all about the visuals. Read newspapers for facts, TV news for the pictures.

JR

PS: This is why politicians put so much effort into engineering Photo-ops and short sound bites. TV news has the attention span and IQ of a gnat.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »

WBAL TV in Baltimore ran a similar report a couple days ago with the same testing company/crew.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/contact-voltage-inspections-protecting-public-questioned/29640832

This WBAL video is mostly a pissing match between a pair of testing companies over who gets the contract. Not too much useful information for consumers, but at least it raises consumer awareness.   

Interestingly, WBAL calls this "Contact Voltage", while the Rossen Report calls it "Stray Voltage", and the RV Industry calls it a "Hot-Skin Voltage". I call it a "Hot Chassis Voltage" for pro-sound gear shock hazards. I wonder if there's a single name/description that could be used for ALL shock situations.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »

I wonder if there's a single name/description that could be used for ALL shock situations.

I nominate "This shit will kill you. Dead. Dead. Dead."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »

I nominate "This shit will kill you. Dead. Dead. Dead."

Maybe a LITTLE over the top, but I like it...   ;)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »

Maybe a LITTLE over the top, but I like it...   ;)
Truth hurts, don't it......
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »

"Fault voltage", Leakage voltage,

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »

UEOs-unintentionally energized objects if you want code speak.

Interesting that their source is a company that does surveys and the big take away is that  everyone ought to be doing surveys. I am curious what his ground reference was for the sidewalk?  Having 90 volts on it is not an accurate statement-if the pole has 120 volts to reference and sidewalk has 90, then touching the pole only puts you across 30 volts (no I won't be a test subject).

IMO, identifying the root cause, compiling meaningful data and making preventative adjustments (code changes?) is what needs to happen.  Its not like "we" don't know how to prevent these problems.

But if a public outcry creates a demand for their services, then their advertising worked.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »

IMO, identifying the root cause, compiling meaningful data and making preventative adjustments (code changes?) is what needs to happen.  Its not like "we" don't know how to prevent these problems. But if a public outcry creates a demand for their services, then their advertising worked.

My issue with the "sparking" demonstrations is that it suggests you'll actually see sparks when someone gets shocked. And that's simply not the case with the voltages we'll normally encounter in the home or even in pro-sound work. But if you watch any television shows with low voltage shocks (under 600 volts) the film directors love to create blue-sparking outlines around the point of contact, or even around the entire body of the victim.

I guess it's become an industry cliche', much like the prerequisite feedback "squeal" when anyone on camera walks up to a podium mic. That's so the viewers will know "This mic is on and I'm speaking to a large crowd through it".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.