ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stray Voltage - Rossen Report  (Read 13279 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Stray Voltage - Rossen Report
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »

Yeah, I've done this sparking trick in my own lab

Getting a big spark off of a wooden pole is quite the trick! Wonder how much their spark stick would light up if I rubbed it on the tires of my car? Or maybe my cat?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »

Anyone see any irony in a video reporting safety hazards, reporter stepping back because sparks are flying everywhere,etc., and no safety glasses in sight?  Hard hat and safety vest-but no glasses-have they ever worked with OSHA?  If those sparks are real, they are droplets of molten metal-as dangerous to your eyes as the electric current is to your heart.
Steve Swaffer

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »

A baby tesla coil is the trick if you are trying to sell people on the idea that something is unsafe....  Much more convincing than a NCVT.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 07:28:54 AM »

A baby tesla coil is the trick if you are trying to sell people on the idea that something is unsafe....  Much more convincing than a NCVT.

I have one, but it throws 2 ft arcs so maybe that's a bit too much. ;D

But seriously, for those who understand electricity the NCVT demonstration is pretty convincing. That's because a large surface such as a mixing console or RV with 120-volts on the chassis will make a standard sensitivity NCVT beep and light from up to 2 feet away. I've posted this before, but here's a video of me testing a 40 ft RV for a "hot-skin" voltage. When my cameraman was shooting this and it beeped from nearly 2 ft away, I heard him say "holy s__t" under his breath. He said his crew had experienced a shock from their production trailer a few months before, and now he understood what it was. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8h64X33aKg
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:40:47 AM by Mike Sokol »

Lyle Williams

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »

I have no problems with the NCVT test, it just isn't what people want to see on TV. 

People expect hollywood visuals.  Sadly they also expect CPR to work every time.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »

I have no problems with the NCVT test, it just isn't what people want to see on TV. 

People expect hollywood visuals.  Sadly they also expect CPR to work every time.

You just need a fancy game show style readout for the NCVT... perhaps a computer screen that can be projected larger onto a screen with flashing red indicators for dangerous voltage when present.  Keep in mind you just need to look impressive on TV or an even smaller screen.

You can create striking visuals without the cliche sparks and flashes. The TV producers will be willing to play along because that is what drives their presentations.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »

Here's me taking a NCVT to none other than The Man himself (he proved not to be "hot"). I should have been standing on an insulating mat, I suppose. I took the picture for that thread on electrical monuments some months ago but didn't know how to get pictures to stick on the forum at the time. Best to all. Happy Thanksgiving, etc. --Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mike Sokol

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 07:31:40 AM »

Here's me taking a NCVT to none other than The Man himself (he proved not to be "hot").

Frank, that's great. Is that a Fluke VoltAlert or Klein NCVT-1, or maybe something else? They look pretty similar at that distance. I want to send the picture to my promotional contacts to rile them up a bit. 

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »

Is that a Fluke VoltAlert or Klein NCVT-1

It's a Klein NCVT-2, dual range. The more sensitive  range (12 - 48 V nominal) tends to light up on just about anything conductive (and, I suppose, not solidly grounded) near AC power. High range works as advertised.

Please do use the picture. I can send you the full-res original to crop and downsample for your needs.

I need to go back and check out what they did with those two pieces of 3/4 in. sch. 40 PVC sticking up out of the plinth. Maybe he WILL be energized? -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »

Here's me taking a NCVT to none other than The Man himself (he proved not to be "hot").

Slightly (yeah, maybe a lot) OT, but here's an interesting prediction.

"...it will be possible for a business man in New York to dictate instructions, and have them instantly appear in type at his office in London or elsewhere.  He will be able to call up, from his desk, and talk to any telephone subscriber on the globe, without any change whatever in the existing equipment.  An inexpensive instrument, not bigger than a watch, will enable its bearer to hear anywhere, on sea or land, music or song, the speech of a political leader, the address of an eminent man of science, or the sermon of an eloquent clergyman, delivered in some other place, however distant.  In the same manner any picture, character, drawing, or print can be transferred from one to another place.  Millions of such instruments can be operated from but one plant of this kind."

Nikola Tesla, in 1908 - on his never-finished wireless communication tower, AKA a modern-day cell tower

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.