ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: memorizing eq?  (Read 7701 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: memorizing eq?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 07:34:42 PM »

i started interning at this live music venue and my audio wizard told me to memorize the eq band. is he talking about where sibilance occurs and where differant instruments lie on the scale in htz? i have to start learning how to eq witha 31 band graphic rack. steer me i nthe right direction
The tone of the loudspeaker system  outside will be different inside with the same settings on your Graph EQ.
Play some recorded music through your system and experiment with the Graphic EQ to shape a nice sounding tone out of your sound system.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »

Not really.. unless you read all of the descriptions the first one sounds like the place for everybody coming to PROsoundweb.com

Jason

I remember the test in middle school that the teachers would trick you with. First thing on the page: "Read this whole test over before beginning." Of course, no one would ever do that, for the most part, as the very last thing on there: "If you read through all of this before answering any questions, congratulations, you just passed. Pretend like you're working hard on the questions, but you get an A."

The relevance is that maybe people should read through everything as opposed to just reading the first line and then stopping. When you call into an automated system, do you listen to all of the options to decide which one is most applicable to your needs, or do you just choose the first option that sounds like it might be right? I prefer to know all of my options.

Additionally, I would hope people would be watching for a bit before jumping into discussions. A bit of observation would reveal the nature of the threads between the Lab Lounge and the Classic Lab. I think it's easy to see that the Lounge is aimed a bit more at the intro/weekend warrior level.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »

I remember the test in middle school that the teachers would trick you with. First thing on the page: "Read this whole test over before beginning." Of course, no one would ever do that, for the most part, as the very last thing on there: "If you read through all of this before answering any questions, congratulations, you just passed. Pretend like you're working hard on the questions, but you get an A."

The relevance is that maybe people should read through everything as opposed to just reading the first line and then stopping. When you call into an automated system, do you listen to all of the options to decide which one is most applicable to your needs, or do you just choose the first option that sounds like it might be right? I prefer to know all of my options.

Additionally, I would hope people would be watching for a bit before jumping into discussions. A bit of observation would reveal the nature of the threads between the Lab Lounge and the Classic Lab. I think it's easy to see that the Lounge is aimed a bit more at the intro/weekend warrior level.

-Ray

While that's a great example, creating a good user interface means adapting to the way people use your site, not complaining every time someone gets it wrong, because it will just keep happening.
Doesn't matter to me, I just thought by now people would be tired of re-educating newcomers, and that the mods would be tired of moving posts all the time.

Jason

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »

So you are saying that instead of setting expectations that, as a site owner/moderator, PSW can dictate what happens where, the site should change based on how people use it?

Doesn't make sense.
Kelcema Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »

So you are saying that instead of setting expectations that, as a site owner/moderator, PSW can dictate what happens where, the site should change based on how people use it?

Doesn't make sense.

Moving posts is trivial for a mod and it's not like it is done 10 times a day; probably like 10 times a month.

As originally built and envisioned by the founder, this was a community of professionals and there was no "lounge" for newbs.  It was not intended for newbies, and back then such persons would be referred to appropriate books, magazines and a couple of websites that didn't spew marketing bs.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:41:58 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »

The descriptions of the Classic and Lounge sections used to be explicit.  Now it's vague.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »

The descriptions of the Classic and Lounge sections used to be explicit.  Now it's vague.

I would agree with that; while the Lounge description is pretty good the one for the LAB is pretty vague.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »

Life is full of trials like this where you get the test first, then life gives you the answer.

Consider it part of the education for how to deal with professionals. In other words get your sierra together and don't expect to have everything handed to you on a silver platter like answers to beginner questions.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »

I would agree with that; while the Lounge description is pretty good the one for the LAB is pretty vague.

... and if someone reads through the page, unless they're full of ego, they'll realise where they fit in. I hope.
Kelcema Audio

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »

... and if someone reads through the page, unless they're full of ego, they'll realise where they fit in. I hope.
But "Classic live audio board" sounds like what every new poster is looking for.

To go back to your analogy of the phone prompts, if I'm looking to get my furnace serviced and the prompts start with "if you need service for your furnace, press 1" I'm not going to listen to the rest of the options..
And if there IS a more relevant option, then I would expect them to change the wording of option 1 to clarify (if they care about their customers and/or reducing the number of misdirected calls)

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.