ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Snare mic  (Read 12758 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Snare mic
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »

If you don't under-mic the drum for the snare rattle, I find the best position about 4"- 6" off the shell, about midway between the top and bottom.  If the drummer does a lot of side stick and rimshot work, move the mic up a little.  The drummer will think you're crazy but it will sound balanced, your EQ will suddenly do things you've not heard before (because you have a better source) and your mics will survive.
I'm going to have to try this sometime.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »

I was using an SM57, but I had to replace too many windscreens and clips, so I went to an Audix I5. I like the sound of both mics, but with the kind of "all over the place" hitters I deal with, I need some recommendations for a smaller profile mic that I can "hide" from errant stickage. SM98? etc. Suggestions?

If you like the SM57 sound, take an SM58 and replace the ball with the windscreen from a Beta57 (original is what I've used, but B57A is probably OK too).  This has been working for me for over 10 years now, with no failures.  The SM57 and 58 capsules are essentially the same, but the windscreens do affect the sound somewhat.  Since the B57 screen is very similar to the SM57, the sound is also quite similar.

I won't claim they're exactly the same, but it's certainly close enough for my purposes.  Of course I think vintage MD-421s and he current MD-421IIs sound the same too, except that the vintage ones probably no longer work.  ::)

GTD

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »

I use this Heil mic on snare. Sounds fantastic and the grill still looks new:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/dynamic-microphones/heil-sound-pr-22-ut-utility#productDetail

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

Sometimes an e609 gets in the way for drummers doing rim shots, so I use a short mic stand with a goose neck and a 57.....yes people make fun of it, but it gets into tight places and it's just in the right place so it doesn't get hit. Haven't found a snake I couldn't get to yet.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »

I use this Heil mic on snare. Sounds fantastic and the grill still looks new:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/dynamic-microphones/heil-sound-pr-22-ut-utility#productDetail

The PR-20 and 22 are great snare mics which sound great on almost any type drum except bass drum. The Heil mic that should be used though is the PR-28, which is bullet proof. The entire head/element is attached to the rest of the mic with a special rubber like material that flexes when you hit it with a stick, or hammer for that matter, and the sound is super and duper at the same time.

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/microphones/pr-28

I agree with the rest of the motley crew about the 98. Take it out of the box, look at it cross eyed, and bingo, broken mic. They suck. The fork deal works and I tried it once just for the hell of it. Cut the end off of the fork and leave about an inch of handle then used a hose clamp to attach it to a 57 or equal. When done you can eat with it, or stick it into a 98, which will of course be done.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Mottsey

• aikenproaudio
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »

I was using an SM57, but I had to replace too many windscreens and clips, so I went to an Audix I5. I like the sound of both mics, but with the kind of "all over the place" hitters I deal with, I need some recommendations for a smaller profile mic that I can "hide" from errant stickage. SM98? etc. Suggestions?
Beyer M201TG been working for years for me as a snare mic, small enough to fit tight spaces & hypercardioid to keep bleed out

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »

Beta 56A for me, though you have to sacrifice a small stand and space for one.

My drummer uses all stand mount mics.  He's extremely talented and experienced and he says ANY clamp on a drum changes the way it sounds.  Even the tiny condensers.  FWIW, I trust him on this one.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 08:43:57 PM »

Beta98s are more fragile than a SM57.

Try pulling the snare mic back a couple inches.

I running either a e905 or Beta57a on snares.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Roland Clarke 1964

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »

I have a Samba band I work with that got a deal on a number of newer Beta 98's with the integrated goose necks.  The good, nice balanced sound quality, very solid rim mount that screws on tight.  The bad, still relatively fragile in comparison to 604's and stand mounted mics.  As pointed out, stick hit's can do serious damage.  For kit drums I still regularly use 57's, beta 57's, M201's.  Not a huge fan of the 604 for snare, though I have used them, wouldn't be my first choice.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »

I've been using Shure Beta 98's on toms for about 10 years now, and apart from the cable into the mic becoming loose (fixed with duct tape), I've had no problems with mine. I've tried using them on snare, but there's something about the sound that is not "flattering" to a snare drum. Kind of hard and glassy sounding. Sounds great on toms, though.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.